Good TV Shows

Mikey Brown

Re: Good TV Shows

Post by Mikey Brown »

Numbers wrote:
Mikey Brown wrote:Yup. I’d actually commented to people and they told me it was still worth finishing the second series. Watched it last night it somehow got even fucking worse. What the fuck was the point of that blonde, rocker guy? He was possibly the shittiest character I’ve ever seen in anything. Everybody became fully 2 dimensional but this guy really stood out as barely having 1 dimension. I’m angry because my dad is a twat. Brilliant. Who fucking cares?

I absolutely agree they ran out of ideas after the first season.

It felt like they were making it up episode by episode. Each character was given one mood/expression to maintain throughout the series and that was it.

Truly, truly awful.

Sorry. I know people love it. But after all the hype that was a massive letdown. The music was pretty great throughout, but not nearly enough to save it.
I'm struggling to see the massive differences between the first two seasons other than they had a far bigger budget for effects this season.

If you are looking for character depth that is not what 80s nostalgia is about, see the Goonies and look for the depth of character ditto all the other 80s films.

If you want character acting see Rectify.

I suspect the next series will see the rocker bloke as some sort of antihero but I doubt you'll be watching that judging by your comments.
I don’t want to keep banging on about it. I just can’t see how it was anything other than bad. Expecting a script to somewhat resembles how actual people speak and interact isn’t going overboard. Every scene felt like a terrible trailer. Drama unfolds, musics builds, cut away to something else, repeat.

I appreciate that banging on about it was exactly what I did there.

Rectify is fucking fantastic though. So there’s something.
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

You're lucky I'm not a mod in here
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Why? You a big fan of the crying kid? Or the other crying kid? Or the crying Mum? Or the kid that cries but also has a bleeding nose?
morepork

Post by morepork »

Mikey B, you are a champion. You should do this professionally. For professionals.
SerjeantWildgoose

Post by SerjeantWildgoose »

I haven't watched either series of Stranger Things, but on the strength of the evidence presented here I can categorically state that Farrell is the best player in the Northern Hemisphere (We're talking about Chris, right?)
Idle Feck
kk67

Post by kk67 »

Blue Planet II.
It's dangerous to anthropomorphise animals.. 'fuck off, Grandma'.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

kk67 wrote:Blue Planet II.
It's dangerous to anthropomorphise animals.. 'fuck off, Grandma'.
Have you seen any of Matt Berry's nature short films, they are quite funny.

What is annoying me about Blue Planet 2 is the sound effects they put on for the underwater sequences, other than that it's pretty good.
kk67

Post by kk67 »

Thought that's Matt Beery...?.
Haven't seen it. Know him from Mighty Boosh.
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Employable Me. Ooft, got abit dusty in my living room while that was on.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
It was so much easier to blame Them. It was bleakly depressing to think They were Us. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

3 episodes into Ken burns Vietnam doc, its brilliant but so heavy, what a disaster, taking me a while to get thru it
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

paddy no 11 wrote:3 episodes into Ken burns Vietnam doc, its brilliant but so heavy, what a disaster, taking me a while to get thru it
Have you seen Ho Chi Min's son yet, that haircut is remarkable.
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

Ha no, I look forward to it, unlike the rest of the show which is going to increasingly distressing
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Black Mirror coming out between Christmas and New Year - should make for a cheerful break from our current reality - which is probably why he isn't doing a 2017-wipe (it was depressing enough last year before the full horror of reality had hit)
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Which Tyler wrote:Black Mirror coming out between Christmas and New Year - should make for a cheerful break from our current reality - which is probably why he isn't doing a 2017-wipe (it was depressing enough last year before the full horror of reality had hit)
I'm looking forward to that, there's also a new series of Sneaky Pete on Amazon shortly which should be good.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Which Tyler wrote:Black Mirror coming out between Christmas and New Year - should make for a cheerful break from our current reality - which is probably why he isn't doing a 2017-wipe (it was depressing enough last year before the full horror of reality had hit)
That’s a shame. Or are we just that far beyond satire at this point?
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

The League of Gentlemen series 4 has started.

Outstanding show. Very funny and dark. Just hope it can live up to the first 3 series.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Watched the first episode of Black Mirror series 4 last night. It was pretty good too. It had the familiar cynical feel for modern technology, but with a nice homage to Star Trek.

Got the rest lined up to watch today.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Spiral, the excellent French crime drama, is back on BBC4. Well worth a watch.
Stones of granite

Post by Stones of granite »

fivepointer wrote:Spiral, the excellent French crime drama, is back on BBC4. Well worth a watch.
+1
Can’t follow the French, though. Need to persevere
Adder

Post by Adder »

Started watching "dark"a German show on netflix.

Similar in some ways to stranger things but better

Sent from my Moto G (5S) using Tapatalk
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Adder wrote:Started watching "dark"a German show on netflix.

That looked quite good. How far in are you? I'm still a bit scarred after the horrendous nosedive that Stranger Things took.

Watching the Leftovers at the moment. It's pretty patchy but really quite powerful at times.
Adder

Re: RE: Re: Good TV Shows

Post by Adder »

Mikey Brown wrote:
Adder wrote:Started watching "dark"a German show on netflix.

That looked quite good. How far in are you? I'm still a bit scarred after the horrendous nosedive that Stranger Things took.

Watching the Leftovers at the moment. It's pretty patchy but really quite powerful at times.
I've seen 8episodes out of 10.

I would recommend. Really appreciating the way the plot is slowly revealed. A bit less Goonie like than stranger things if thats what got to you.

J Dory

Post by J Dory »

Fargo season III, similar to the last two, worth a look.
cashead

Post by cashead »

Anyone watching Ash vs the Evil Dead?

It's great, undemanding viewing, with each episode being a brisk 30 minutes or so each. It's a pulp series that oesn't have any pretensions about what it is, and chooses instead to revel in it, while demonstrating an astonishing command of its own characters (you'd expect that considering that the Raimi brothers are involved)
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Shame on you, sweet Nerevar
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

cashead wrote:Anyone watching Ash vs the Evil Dead?

It's great, undemanding viewing, with each episode being a brisk 30 minutes or so each. It's a pulp series that oesn't have any pretensions about what it is, and chooses instead to revel in it, while demonstrating an astonishing command of its own characters (you'd expect that considering that the Raimi brothers are involved)
I’ve been told it’s like the good bit s of walking dead without all the preachy, emotional bollocks. Fair?