Good TV Shows

cashead

Re: Good TV Shows

Post by cashead »

Mikey Brown wrote:
cashead wrote:Anyone watching Ash vs the Evil Dead?

It's great, undemanding viewing, with each episode being a brisk 30 minutes or so each. It's a pulp series that oesn't have any pretensions about what it is, and chooses instead to revel in it, while demonstrating an astonishing command of its own characters (you'd expect that considering that the Raimi brothers are involved)
I’ve been told it’s like the good bit s of walking dead without all the preachy, emotional bollocks. Fair?
If you want gore, humour, cheesy one-liners and lots and lots of zombie-killing, it’s the show for you.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Shame on you, sweet Nerevar
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

cashead wrote:
Mikey Brown wrote:
cashead wrote:Anyone watching Ash vs the Evil Dead?

It's great, undemanding viewing, with each episode being a brisk 30 minutes or so each. It's a pulp series that oesn't have any pretensions about what it is, and chooses instead to revel in it, while demonstrating an astonishing command of its own characters (you'd expect that considering that the Raimi brothers are involved)
I’ve been told it’s like the good bit s of walking dead without all the preachy, emotional bollocks. Fair?
If you want gore, humour, cheesy one-liners and lots and lots of zombie-killing, it’s the show for you.
Z Nation is a bit like that too, imagine the Walking Dead with a sense of humour.
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

Buchanan's 'Animals with Cameras' on Beeb1 better than overdramatised blue planet-2 for wildlife footage, for me.
Last night's giant devil-rays (azores), dump-feeding bears (turkey) and dogs v. wolves (france) was fantastic.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Galfon wrote:Buchanan's 'Animals with Cameras' on Beeb1 better than overdramatised blue planet-2 for wildlife footage, for me.
Last night's giant devil-rays (azores), dump-feeding bears (turkey) and dogs v. wolves (france) was fantastic.
Other than it breaks the standards of natural history filming, which is not to fuck about with the animals, a complete load of shite.

He has done this similarly with Polar Bears and Brown Bears, the polar bear one earning the BBC a bollocking from the Norwegian government.
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

Don't think a collar represents f₩cking about tbh.
anything that gives insight into what our furry friends are dealing with is better telly than usual dross-central..the off button can be useful too of course.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Galfon wrote:Don't think a collar represents f₩cking about tbh.
anything that gives insight into what our furry friends are dealing with is better telly than usual dross-central..the off button can be useful too of course.
The whole point is you are supposed to observe the animals, not attach shit to them, now don't get me wrong I will happily eat animals but I find fault with dicks like him who interact with and anthropomorphise the animals.

Then again I've also met him and he is lacking in any charisma whatsoever, a personality borne from spending days on his own in the Scottish Highlands.

That and him crying like a little girl because he saw a snow leopard, get a fucking grip man.
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

Yes he must have been tired and emotional for that to happen - best done in private.
As an obsessive he's found a niche in a field that producers like to fill.
Personality aside, I learnt stuff and it was pacy rather than overly self-indulgent, so gave it credit.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Galfon wrote:Yes he must have been tired and emotional for that to happen - best done in private.
As an obsessive he's found a niche in a field that producers like to fill.
Personality aside, I learnt stuff and it was pacy rather than overly self-indulgent, so gave it credit.
Each to his own, I suppose the fact I find his face very punchable doesn't help.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

This Country is back, well worth a watch, available on bbc iplayer.

Sneaky Pete season 2 starts 9th March I think, well worth a look if you haven't seen it, it's on Amazon Prime.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Numbers wrote:This Country is back, well worth a watch, available on bbc iplayer.

Sneaky Pete season 2 starts 9th March I think, well worth a look if you haven't seen it, it's on Amazon Prime.
Three episodes in of series 1 and it's very good.

Nice concept, put together well and some interesting characters.
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

Altered Carbon was very good and quite original.

Started watching Save Me today, 2 episodes in and I'm intrigued so far.

Almost finished the first season of The Killing, not really liking it, feels very much like an afternoon straight to tv channel 5 film with the dodgy music. Although I must admit they have kept me thinking.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Anyone seen The Leftovers?

Any good?
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

OptimisticJock wrote:Altered Carbon was very good and quite original.
It started off quite well I thought - a little exposition heavy, but then, it needed to be. But the last 3-ish episodes just descended rapidly IMO, looking like it was more interested in fight scenes and justifying / setting up a second season; rather than finishing off the story it had been telling.
I also felt that a couple of the characters were suffering a little multiple personality disorder
[spoilers]Kovacs himself is all about cold rationality, picking up the little details no-one notices, and coldly manipulating and exploiting the local peons without any emotional attachment - whilst simultanesouly acting all emotional, missing fairly big details and developing real emotional ties to just about everyone who was supporting him.
Whilst the sister's about turn was never really examined, nor how she became a member of the 0.0001% of wealthy immortals, nor why she needed her brother so badly after managing perfectly fine without him for 250 year and making no attempt of her own to resurrect him, despite being obviously capable of bringing him back, in his own body... Just make her a different person, trying to get away with a crime - preferably a crime that I'd believe could take down one of the meg-rich, rather than a rather prosaic whore-murder; and leave the sister dead 250 years ago.[/spoilers]

Despite what the above may look like; the last 3ish episodes didn't ruin it for me; though it may well have done if this had been a weekly show, rather than a weekend binge. I enjoyed it well enough; but I don't think I'll be going out of my way to find the second season.
Last edited by Which Tyler on Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

WaspInWales wrote:Anyone seen The Leftovers?

Any good?
Very hard to summarise. It has all the pieces to be a classic and some utterly amazing moments/characters. But also some slightly odd jumps in style and some fairly contrived or superfluous moments/characters. If you can buy in to it I think it’s well worth it. Loses its way slightly at a point but then fucking nails it after that. Like the shield, even though the show itself is nothing like it.

It gets incredibly melodramatic quite often, but I suppose that’s what you get if you try and combine the whole existential drama thing with an episodic, weekly cliff-hanger-er.

If you are a cryer, well, don’t say I didn’t warn you.
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

Anybody watched The City and The City? I've not read the book and it's a bit obscure atm.
Stones of granite

Post by Stones of granite »

OptimisticJock wrote:Anybody watched The City and The City? I've not read the book and it's a bit obscure atm.
Watched the first episode and greatly enjoyed it. I agree that it's a bit obscure, but I am enjoying the strangeness.
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

Stones of granite wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:Anybody watched The City and The City? I've not read the book and it's a bit obscure atm.
Watched the first episode and greatly enjoyed it. I agree that it's a bit obscure, but I am enjoying the strangeness.
I posted that about half way through first episode. Made a lot more sense towards the end.
Chubbywinger

Post by Chubbywinger »

Started watching Happy on Netflix.very entertaining. Hitman led by blue flying unicorn to save abducted kid. Sounds like its going to be garbage but so far pretty damn good fun.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Chubbywinger wrote:Started watching Happy on Netflix.very entertaining. Hitman led by blue flying unicorn to save abducted kid. Sounds like its going to be garbage but so far pretty damn good fun.
Sounds interesting, will give it a watch.

In a similar vein, I've watched a few episodes of Barry on HBO. It's about a former marine turned hitman who decides to try to break into acting via a local acting class.

It's surprisingly good. Bill Hader doesn't come across as the typical marine type, but it kinda works...at an entertainment level at least.
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

Just watched the first 2 episodes. Loving it, weird as hell but quality.

Got Barry recorded, haven't got round to it yet.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Chubbywinger wrote:Started watching Happy on Netflix.very entertaining. Hitman led by blue flying unicorn to save abducted kid. Sounds like its going to be garbage but so far pretty damn good fun.
Yeah, I watched this and it was good and very violent. There is a second series due soon, I think it was originally released on Syfy so probably on that.

I've started watching the new series of Westworld and it's also good.
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

Finished the city and the city. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Is it a stand alone or are the other books in the series?
Stones of granite

Post by Stones of granite »

OptimisticJock wrote:Finished the city and the city. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Is it a stand alone or are the other books in the series?
According to the author’s wik8 page, China Miéville, it is a stand alone novel.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Latest episode of Barry is superb!
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

Stones of granite wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:Finished the city and the city. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Is it a stand alone or are the other books in the series?
According to the author’s wik8 page, China Miéville, it is a stand alone novel.
That's disappointing.