Are we turning into an Ashton Lynch Mob?

Moderator: Puja

WiganShark

Are we turning into an Ashton Lynch Mob?

Post by WiganShark »

Isn’t it time to call it a day now guys it’s getting very boring.
It’s turning into a vendetta and it is unbecoming… we are I believe Rugby supporters, it’s time to show it.
I remember the unsavoury and personal attacks that came Charlie Hodgson’s way and the disgraceful Twicker’s fans when he got carried off with cruciate rupture which kept him out of the game for a season.
I foresee Ash getting a serious injury and this board rejoicing.
Time to give it a rest methinks.
Just come back from Edinburgh and I was asked the question ‘Why so much hatred of Ashton? One suggested he’d been made an example of with the 10-week ban. The guy only has to walk on the field.
Last edited by WiganShark on Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oakboy

Re: Are we turning into an Ashton Lynch Mob.

Post by Oakboy »

Maybe it would help if we listed his strengths and weaknesses?
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

No
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Not sure there is any hate - go to the WMB for that. Most just think he's not good enough and some get annoyed by his try celebration.

It's the same for Farrell - wasn't good enough and acts like a chav. Hartley - average player and, mostly cowardly, ill-discipline.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Mellsblue wrote:Not sure there is any hate - go to the WMB for that. Most just think he's not good enough and some get annoyed by his try celebration.

It's the same for Farrell - wasn't good enough and acts like a chav. Hartley - average player and, mostly cowardly, ill-discipline.
Well it is pathetic. He's risking not scoring the try, and it's gutless anyway as his feet barely leave the floor, so like other areas of his game it's unnecessary and yellow.
morepork

Re: Are we turning into an Ashton Lynch Mob?

Post by morepork »

JUSTICE 4 CHRIS.

He's an alabaster donkey with little piggy eyes. His swan dives are as athletic as an ejaculating sea cucumber.

IMHO, of course...
CONVEX HULL

Post by CONVEX HULL »

Couldn't give a sh*t, so long as he keeps scoring tries for Sarries.
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

morepork wrote:JUSTICE 4 CHRIS.

He's an alabaster donkey with little piggy eyes. His swan dives are as athletic as an ejaculating sea cucumber.

IMHO, of course...
And he can't take a punch!!!
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

I dont see a vendetta. And i'd be surprised if there was any rejoicing if he copped a serious injury.

Ashton isnt greatly liked on here and he's not a player that is easy to warm to. I cant see that changing.
Digby

Post by Digby »

fivepointer wrote:I dont see a vendetta. And i'd be surprised if there was any rejoicing if he copped a serious injury.

Ashton isnt greatly liked on here and he's not a player that is easy to warm to. I cant see that changing.
I don't quite see how the view on him has changed since he was going 80m to score Vs the Aussies, he's basically the same player and he seemed very popular back then.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Oakboy wrote:
morepork wrote:JUSTICE 4 CHRIS.

IMHO, of course...
And he can't take a punch!!!
Manu? I was quite impressed he stayed on his feet.
skidger

Post by skidger »

Hatred is a strong word when simply twat would suffice. Shouting at the kicker,the bantah with opposition fans,the mensa membership,avoiding tackles and cowardice on the field in NZ and the football celebration are still not enough to bring on feelings of hatred.
padprop

Post by padprop »

My issue has always purely been with his play, and yes he comes off his wing and is a good finisher, but the same problems still exists:

He can't beat a man one on one and isn't capable of creating anything out of the blue.

Yes he will always be effective at club level in a dominate team, and will always score hatricks against teams like Scotland and Italy, but his style of play is just not suited to top level international rugby against the big 3. The breaks just wont come, and then you are left with a guy who has below average defense who can't beat his opposite man.
CONVEX HULL

Post by CONVEX HULL »

Three tries in the last two matches. 8-)
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

I assumed it was just a class thing.
WiganShark

Post by WiganShark »

Catch the BT Sport Ash profile by BOD and Austin on Rugby Tonight... :D
I R Geech

Post by I R Geech »

He's a very fine attacker for sure, but his iffy defence and generally being a bit of a prick tends to overshadow it.
skidger

Post by skidger »

Lizard wrote:I assumed it was just a class thing.
It's not that. Most of us thing he is a very classy chap. Haskell is a toff and is also a dick so i dont think we judge like that.
padprop

Post by padprop »

skidger wrote:
It's not that. Most of us thing he is a very classy chap. Haskell is a toff and is also a dick so i dont think we judge like that.
I've got alot of time for Haskell despite his obvious flaws. People say he is everything wrong with the modern game (big guy that can't pass) but conversely I think he's an inspiration to all rugby players that don't have natural skills that you can make it to the top through shear banter and physical effort.

He does what he does well, somehow gets ostracised for having some businesses on the side and is one of the few rugby players who can actually give an interview without resorting to the same cliches.
Epaminondas Pules

Post by Epaminondas Pules »

There's no lynch mob, he's just one of those pet hate players. He doesn't help himself though I doubt he care a jot. He knows he's marmite. Why change to just please people who will probably not change their opinion.

I think he comes across as a bit of a twat, well a lot of a twat, though he's very effective at what he does.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

It definitely is for some. Also english players in general get the football style character assassination from other fans which doesn't seem to happen with other countries.

For others it's just not thinking he is right for the england team (I'm bowing too ej's will at this point though, if he thinks ashton can offer some thing I'll go along with it at least initially).
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

WiganShark wrote:Isn’t it time to call it a day now guys it’s getting very boring.
It’s turning into a vendetta and it is unbecoming… we are I believe Rugby supporters, it’s time to show it.
I remember the unsavoury and personal attacks that came Charlie Hodgson’s way and the disgraceful Twicker’s fans when he got carried off with cruciate rupture which kept him out of the game for a season.
I foresee Ash getting a serious injury and this board rejoicing.
Time to give it a rest methinks.
Just come back from Edinburgh and I was asked the question ‘Why so much hatred of Ashton? One suggested he’d been made an example of with the 10-week ban. The guy only has to walk on the field.
It really isn't, and there really isn't any hatred on here.
Lots of fair criticism, but certainly no lynching, no rejoicing in injury etc. Maybe you're confusing us with Gwlad?
skidger

Post by skidger »

padprop wrote:
skidger wrote:
I've got alot of time for Haskell despite his obvious flaws. People say he is everything wrong with the modern game (big guy that can't pass) but conversely I think he's an inspiration to all rugby players that don't have natural skills that you can make it to the top through shear banter and physical effort.

He does what he does well, somehow gets ostracised for having some businesses on the side and is one of the few rugby players who can actually give an interview without resorting to the same cliches.
Which prem team do you support?
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

padprop wrote:
skidger wrote:

he's a walking cliché, so not surprising!

Personally, I think he is an example of taking a couple of wrong turns in development- he's got naturally good athleticism, and seemed to have passable basics when he first rocked up; he's gone down the route of physical development, and whilst he laudably moved around to broaden his rugby education (and earn a few quid), he doesn't look to have learned that much about the game nor developed his skill set. That said, he will work his socks off, and given simple objectives can be an effective international player, if limited. Underachiever? dunno, its a bit of a Worsley argument-- who I thought was going to be absolutely tremendous, with his athleticism at a young age.
Digby

Post by Digby »

It's the Winterbottom line delivered about Burger writ large: 'if he ever learns to play rugby he'll be some player' that perhaps applies to Haskell