2023 RWC Host Poll

Anything rugby not covered by the other forums.

Moderators: Puja, Misc Forum Mod

2023 RWC Host

South Africa
10%
Ireland
76%
France
14%

Total votes: 29

Mellsblue

Re: 2023 RWC Host Poll

Post by Mellsblue »

rowan wrote:So we shouldn't be surprised if a game or two goes Murrayfield's way??

I've ridiculed the RLWC as a mickey mouse tournament involving manufactured teams, which it is, but rugby's is not exactly a paragon of fair and competitive sporting activity either. The same 4 nations have now hosted 7/8 tournaments (with Britain getting 3, if we're honest about it), and that will become 8/10 in 2023. Meanwhile, elite competitions and excessive scheduling among the tier 1 nations themselves have created a premier division with which no one else can really hope to compete under these circumstances. Therefore about half the teams at the World Cup are showing up regularly just to serve as cannon fodder for the big guns. Sure, there is the rare upset - about one per 48-game tournament, on average (involving tier 1 & 2 opponents)! So undoubtedly half the teams are only there to make up the number. It is true that rugby has done a great deal to spread the game around the world. But the sport has clearly failed to integrate its top flight with the masses, and it is this attitude which deprives its showpiece event of legitimacy.
It’s been confirmed that all games are in France.
rowan

Post by rowan »

Mellsblue wrote:
rowan wrote:So we shouldn't be surprised if a game or two goes Murrayfield's way??

I've ridiculed the RLWC as a mickey mouse tournament involving manufactured teams, which it is, but rugby's is not exactly a paragon of fair and competitive sporting activity either. The same 4 nations have now hosted 7/8 tournaments (with Britain getting 3, if we're honest about it), and that will become 8/10 in 2023. Meanwhile, elite competitions and excessive scheduling among the tier 1 nations themselves have created a premier division with which no one else can really hope to compete under these circumstances. Therefore about half the teams at the World Cup are showing up regularly just to serve as cannon fodder for the big guns. Sure, there is the rare upset - about one per 48-game tournament, on average (involving tier 1 & 2 opponents)! So undoubtedly half the teams are only there to make up the number. It is true that rugby has done a great deal to spread the game around the world. But the sport has clearly failed to integrate its top flight with the masses, and it is this attitude which deprives its showpiece event of legitimacy.
It’s been confirmed that all games are in France.
Thanks for that info. I seemed to have missed it.
If they're good enough to play at World Cups, why not in between?
rowan

Post by rowan »

Is the 5 Nations-Down Under ping pong hosting of the tournament (with but 2 exceptions thus far) set to continue in its 40th year?

Australia will bid for the 2021 women's and 2027 men's Rugby World Cup, Rugby Australia announced on Wednesday.

The country last hosted a men's tournament in 2003, where Australia lost in a thrilling extra-time to England in Sydney.

World Rugby recently awarded the 2023 tournament to France, making a 2027 Southern Hemisphere host more likely, though it was initially thought any Australian bid wouldn't come until 2031.

Ireland legend Brian O'Driscoll backed Australia to host the tournament again when asked at the 2023 bid announcement last month as well.

Rugby Australia chairman Cameron Clyne said bringing the competition to Australia would help ignite passion in young rugby fans.

"As we edge closer to the 15th anniversary of the last Rugby World Cup played in Australia, regarded by many as the greatest in the tournament’s history, we are excited to confirm that Rugby Australia will bid for the hosting rights for the Women’s Rugby World Cup in 2021 and the 2027 (Men’s) Rugby World Cup," he said.

Story continues: http://www.rugby.com.au/news/2017/12/12 ... -2021-2027
rowan

Post by rowan »

Apparently South Africa and Argentina are also going to bid. I'd take either of those over Australia - again.
rowan

Post by rowan »

Whoever wants it is going to have to secure the tier 2 nations' votes, and also those of the regional associations, as that was apparently how France managed to pinch the 2023 tournament out of South Africa's pocket even after World Rugby had determined the SARFU's bid was the strongest.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Well that's easy then, offer more money.
It shouldn't really surprise anyone that the poorest nations, who most rely on WR funds are in favour of WR getting more funds to disseminate to them.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Which Tyler wrote:Well that's easy then, offer more money.
It shouldn't really surprise anyone that the poorest nations, who most rely on WR funds are in favour of WR getting more funds to disseminate to them.
You say that but NZ say they didn't vote for France
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Digby wrote:
Hehe.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Argentina, please. Just to be clear, this is my preference not my prediction.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Digby wrote:
Scotland did ;)
rowan

Post by rowan »

I'd be happy with either SA or Argentina, but my faith in the system has been destroyed, so I'm fully prepared for a continuation of the hideous 5 Nations-Down Under ping pong inn 2027 with Australia as hosts.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Mellsblue wrote:Argentina, please. Just to be clear, this is my preference not my prediction.
I'd vote for Argentina, but if Ireland, Oz, or SA got it then fine
rowan

Post by rowan »

Ireland won't bid. It's not going to return to the 6 Nations until 2031. South Africa has far superior credentials to Argentina as a RWC host but it's obvious the Africans are facing a fair bit of prejudice from within the governing body in the modern era. I'd be happy to see Argentina get it, of course. They were my original co-favourites, in terms of preference, for 2023 - before dropping out of the running.
rowan

Post by rowan »

SA Rugby Mag year ender. Have to agree :cry:

rowan

Post by rowan »

Real shame, but they keep getting screwed over so who can blame them. Argentina could be a good chance then, if they throw their hat into the ring:

Johannesburg - SA Rugby is set for its first opportunity to react to the disappointment of missing out on the 2023 Rugby World Cup bid when the governing body meets with World Rugby in the next month to do a ‘wash up’ on the process.

But according to SuperSport.com, the likelihood is that they won’t look to bid for the 2027 tournament after three failed bids.

There is still a lot of unhappiness at the fact France won the vote after an independent committee said South Africa was the best bid for 2023, with skulduggery and backroom dealings seemingly ruling the roost to give France another World Cup just 16 years after they hosted the tournament in 2007.

https://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Springb ... 7-20180125
rowan

Post by rowan »

This just gets worse & worse . . . :?

World Rugby will consider a radical overhaul of the bidding process to host future World Cups that could open the door for smaller nations to stage the tournament.
One option could be to combine voting on up to three future tournaments at once, with at least one being awarded to a country for "developmental" reasons to help grow the game.
The move comes amid concerns that bids could be dominated by hosts offering the most lucrative terms in the wake of France's shock victory over Ireland and South Africa to host the 2023 tournament in a secret ballot last November. Ireland had been the early favourite but ended up being eliminated in the first round of the ballot.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/int ... app-iPhone
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

I thought you were in favour of developmental hosts?
rowan

Post by rowan »

I am - if that means Argentina, Italy & the US. It's this part that horrified me: "That opens the door for New Zealand to host a third World Cup, after hosting it in 1987 and 2011."

This tournament has gotten too big for a return to farmsville. Small nation World Cups should have remained a distant memory from the 20th century, like FIFA World Cups in Uruguay, Switzerland & Sweden.
rowan

Post by rowan »

At this stage both South Africa and Argentina are indicating they will not be bidding for the 2027 tournament. If that remains the case, looks like it'll be headed back to Australia, which has expressed interest. Boring, boring, boring . . .