Are we turning into an Ashton Lynch Mob?

Moderator: Puja

morepork

Re: Are we turning into an Ashton Lynch Mob?

Post by morepork »

Who is the biggest chav? Ashton of Farrell?
skidger

Post by skidger »

morepork wrote:Who is the biggest chav? Ashton of Farrell?
Farrell for me. The hair is pure sports direct.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Farrell, definitely. I'd probably have Brown at second. Ashton is more like the ADHD kid in the class rather than the chav.
CONVEX HULL

Post by CONVEX HULL »

So, how many tries do you think that he will score on Saturday?
iLovett

Post by iLovett »

Which Tyler wrote:
Epaminondas Pules wrote:They both got yellow carded.......
I'd managed to forget that bit until this thread - utterly absurd decision.

As for his place in the England team - he well deserved his first 20 caps; it's his last 20 caps that he didn't (which is about 10 caps to decide that he's "lost it" or "can't play this system").
He is a very good player when used the right way; which both his clubs, and his early England career did; (basically work your arse off, go looking, run lines, offer options to the play-maker/break-maker; and we'll cover you in defence). He's basically useless in the wrong system, such as his latter 20 caps (stick to your wing, chase poor kicks and defend like a maniac).However well he played in a system designed around him, he could never transfer that into a system almost designed to neuter him.

This does not make him a bad rugby player; it just means that a game-plan has to be essentially designed around him (or that he be recruited into that very specific game-plan) for him to be effective. It also means that in any other game-plan he's somewhere between ineffective and liability (depending on how poorly suited he is to it).
I'd further suggest than his inability to adapt makes him not-international-class. It's Lancaster's fault that he got those latter 20 caps having proven unable to play Lancaster's game-plan.
If you hitch a race-horse up to a plough, don't be surprised if it looks incompetent.
Saints and Sarries game plans are not designed around their wingers though, its generally been around kicking for territory, set piece & forward domination with big midfield tackling for as long as ashtons been around. Why has he scored so many tries? Because he's a quality finishing winger
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Quade
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

CONVEX HULL wrote:So, how many tries do you think that he will score on Saturday?
I think you may have missed the point of the thread.
CONVEX HULL

Post by CONVEX HULL »

Not at all, I wouldn't want to have many players at a dinner party that I organise. I am interested if they consistently score tries for the team that I follow. The fact that some people here don't like him is a matter of supreme indifference to Sarries' fans.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

CONVEX HULL wrote:Not at all, I wouldn't want to have many players at a dinner party that I organise. I am interested if they consistently score tries for the team that I follow. The fact that some people here don't like him is a matter of supreme indifference to Sarries' fans.
I'm sure this thread isn't here to rile Sarries fans. It's also not here to discuss how effective Ashton is for Sarries.

The thread is about whether we are objective in our assessment of Ashton. Not whether he scores enough tries for Sarries. Noting how many tries he scores for Sarries is like discussing how fit Sharapova is only for someone to mention she is serving a drugs ban.
Mr Mwenda

Post by Mr Mwenda »

To be honest, I assumed the title of the thread was a call to arms of some sort; a proposal for the next evolution of rugbyrebels.
morepork

Post by morepork »

Banquo wrote:
Quade

Not a bad call.
Digby

Post by Digby »

CONVEX HULL wrote:Not at all, I wouldn't want to have many players at a dinner party that I organise. I am interested if they consistently score tries for the team that I follow. The fact that some people here don't like him is a matter of supreme indifference to Sarries' fans.
The lady doth protest too much methinks
Len

Post by Len »

Farrell for me. His attitude on the pitch isn't very becoming. The Brits send off being just one example that sticks in my mind.

Loved his yellow at the RWC mind.
skidger

Post by skidger »

Although we now have an idea for a new thread. Rugby players you would not invite to a dinner party you organise.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

skidger wrote:Although we now have an idea for a new thread. Rugby players you would not invite to a dinner party you organise.
(Christ the reverse is a short list) but the extreme other end

Murdoch
Cockerill
Loe
Archer
Palmie
Joseph
Clark
Cecillon
Bishop
Quade Cooper
Guildford (he'd drink everything)
Farrell
Carling
Ashton
Armitage
skidger

Post by skidger »

Delon would be great fun at any social occasion.
skidger

Post by skidger »

Also two people from Wigan in that list. I know it is pointless hell hole but are we turning into a Wigan lynch mob?
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

skidger wrote:Also two people from Wigan in that list. I know it is pointless hell hole but are we turning into a Wigan lynch mob?
I'm probably being a little hasty in fairness, but a deadline is a deadline!
Len

Post by Len »

Banquo wrote:
skidger wrote:Although we now have an idea for a new thread. Rugby players you would not invite to a dinner party you organise.

Murdoch
Cockerill
Loe
Archer
Palmie
Joseph
Clark
Cecillon
Bishop
Quade Cooper
Farrell
Carling
Ashton
Armitage
Cipriani
Beale
morepork

Post by morepork »

None of them have the class and breeding of the Hask.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I can't actually remember why it is some people hate Cipriani. There's too many good English candidates already though, sadly.

Beale is a great shout. He looks like he has a dark secret.
Len

Post by Len »

Mikey Brown wrote:I can't actually remember why it is some people hate Cipriani. There's too many good English candidates already though, sadly.

Beale is a great shout. He looks like he has a dark secret.
I don't hate Cipriani but he would drink all the beers with Beale and Guildford.

Added bonus he might do something funny like smash up the front of a bus again.
Last edited by Len on Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Len

Post by Len »

Sit Nick Cummins and Haskell next to each other and see how long it takes for the Hask to deck him.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Len wrote:
Banquo wrote:

Murdoch
Cockerill
Loe
Archer
Palmie
Joseph
Clark
Cecillon
Bishop
Quade Cooper
Farrell
Carling
Ashton
Armitage
Cipriani
Beale
Cips is harmless I'd have said, just not terribly good at self advice. Beale...good point. Drop Carling and stick faz at 13.
p/d

Post by p/d »

Mellsblue wrote:
I'm sure this thread isn't here to rile Sarries fans. It's also not here to discuss how effective Ashton is for Sarries.

The thread is about whether we are objective in our assessment of Ashton. Not whether he scores enough tries for Sarries. Noting how many tries he scores for Sarries is like discussing how fit Sharapova is only for someone to mention she is serving a drugs ban.
The enchantment of Maria is only heightened by the ban. Those thighs, tensing, before gently easing their grip.........I digress. Back to Ashton's boyish good looks and carefree demeanour