Eddie's 'Firing' Line

Moderator: Puja

Banquo

Eddie's 'Firing' Line

Post by Banquo »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/36056761

who do you think he means? I wonder if Ben Youngs might be one....
Mikey Brown

Re: Eddie's 'Firing' Line

Post by Mikey Brown »

"Teo'o turned down Australia in order to fight for an England place."

Whether that is the BBC being rubbish, Teo'o lying or Jones being an idiot again, that is absolute bollocks.

I'm worried Jones genuinely sees something in Youngs and doesn't rate our backs enough to care about his weaknesses.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

I'm hoping he means Youngs. I haven't seen that much rugby since the 6Ns but witnessed Ben's reinvigorated performance against Stade.

We really need to start looking at alternative 9s.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

WaspInWales wrote:I'm hoping he means Youngs. I haven't seen that much rugby since the 6Ns but witnessed Ben's reinvigorated performance against Stade.

I was thinking of Youngs' 'reinvigoration' interviews when Eddie said players had been, to paraphrase, 'getting ahead of themselves'
Digby

Post by Digby »

There's also EJ will just come out with lines like this because he likes putting pressure on his players
skidger

Post by skidger »

WaspInWales wrote:I'm hoping he means Youngs. I haven't seen that much rugby since the 6Ns but witnessed Ben's reinvigorated performance against Stade.

In fairness we have needed to look at other 9's for quite a while now. Has chubby chops done an amusing interview then? Is it funnier that his comments before the Aussie game in the RWC. Just like Tom Wood and a few others in that he should never be allowed to speak publicly.
Last edited by skidger on Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Jeez I hope he means Youngs.

But reminding all players they have to keep performing is fine with me.
Peat

Post by Peat »

I like that they use Amor's name in connection with the Saxons and not Callard's.

The rest is so much fluff about nothing, although at least it's the right fluff when it comes to demanding performance levels.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Peat wrote:I like that they use Amor's name in connection with the Saxons and not Callard's.
I think your hope has read that article rather than your eyes. Amor's only mentioned as the Olympics coach; he's very definitely busy this summer.

Players who have not been performing for their clubs since returning from internationals is hopefully Youngs, but it could also be Ford.

Puja
Backist Monk
Parsifal

Post by Parsifal »

Some of the names narrowed down from about 4:05 if you scroll to the interview. It's quite amusing in places.

http://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/ne ... us-hiddink
Last edited by Parsifal on Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Digby wrote:There's also EJ will just come out with lines like this because he likes putting pressure on his players
...maybe, though its quite pointed in my reading of it.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Peat wrote:I like that they use Amor's name in connection with the Saxons and not Callard's.

The rest is so much fluff about nothing, although at least it's the right fluff when it comes to demanding performance levels.
eh? He's referenced as the GB sevens coach..
Puja

Post by Puja »

Banquo wrote:
Digby wrote:There's also EJ will just come out with lines like this because he likes putting pressure on his players
Commentary on BT came up with the point that, because it's nicely vague, it give all the fringe players hope that their position is the one being talked about and it squeezes an extra 5% out of them as they try to play their way in.

Puja
Backist Monk
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Puja wrote:
I think your hope has read that article rather than your eyes. Amor's only mentioned as the Olympics coach; he's very definitely busy this summer.

Players who have not been performing for their clubs since returning from internationals is hopefully Youngs, but it could also be Ford.

Puja
not sure Ford has been bigging himself up, but could be.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Puja wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Commentary on BT came up with the point that, because it's nicely vague, it give all the fringe players hope that their position is the one being talked about and it squeezes an extra 5% out of them as they try to play their way in.

Puja
not sure its vague, to me it reads like those who have been giving interviews. But I've broken my own rule on not believing a word he says.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Jones is right about Slade, he can be a bit passive at times. Needs to start taking the ball to and through the line more.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Also, The Guardian seem to think Jones' comments are primarily about some of the forwards, at least one of whom was a regular in the 23. Just a guess, but I reckon Clifford is someone he's got a pretty close eye on. He's showing flashes and is capable of things no other English backrower is, but I get the impression Jones thinks he should be dominating.

But really it could be anyone...or no one.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Timbo wrote:Also, The Guardian seem to think Jones' comments are primarily about some of the forwards, at least one of whom was a regular in the 23. Just a guess, but I reckon Clifford is someone he's got a pretty close eye on. He's showing flashes and is capable of things no other English backrower is, but I get the impression Jones thinks he should be dominating.

But really it could be anyone...or no one.
He likes Clifford a lot and the hard ground will suit him.

The only forward who, for me, isn't really firing post 6N is Cole. But then he wasn't really firing during the 6N.

I reckon we can safely say Teo is on the plane. Desperate to play for Eng, allegedly.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Yeah, I agree that Jones seems to really rate Clifford's ability and potential. I think he sees him as the kind of player that can push the team on a level, but he's made a few comments about the need for him to kick on. He even mentioned George Smith and intimated that Clifford needs to be performing to that sort of standard post six nations.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Mikey Brown wrote:"Teo'o turned down Australia in order to fight for an England place."

Whether that is the BBC being rubbish, Teo'o lying or Jones being an idiot again, that is absolute bollocks.
Why do you say that? It's impossible that Teo'o had offers from Oz Super Rugby franchises? That Cheika, who did a whistle stop tour of Europe recently,didn't ask him if he fancied going back and possibly playing for Australia? Both seem pretty plausible to me.
gthedog

Post by gthedog »

Call me old fashioned but I'd like Teo'o to actually play for Worcester before he is picked and plays for England
If he is picked I hope they wrap him in cotton wool first
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Timbo wrote:
Mikey Brown wrote:"Teo'o turned down Australia in order to fight for an England place."

Why do you say that? It's impossible that Teo'o had offers from Oz Super Rugby franchises? That Cheika, who did a whistle stop tour of Europe recently,didn't ask him if he fancied going back and possibly playing for Australia? Both seem pretty plausible to me.
No, that any of those things happened and Teo'o said "No, I don't want to play for Australia. I'm English now" is the bit I can't beleive.
Bloggs

Post by Bloggs »

Haskell. Never seems to stop talking and was outplayed by the coach's son last Saturday
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Timbo wrote:Jones is right about Slade, he can be a bit passive at times. Needs to start taking the ball to and through the line more.
Agree with that. I wonder how much time, if any, Slade has spent with EJ. If he is still in the frame of mind associated with Burt's regime, he could well be still carrying out coaching instructions to the letter. Farrell jr used to do the same but has improved his on-feet thinking, IMO.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

I wonder if Mako might be one of those Jones is talking about. I've seen him three times post six nations and on two of those occasions his scrummaging has been dross.