Falcons V Irish Sun 3pm

Moderator: Puja

fivepointer

Falcons V Irish Sun 3pm

Post by fivepointer »

Newcastle: Hammersley; Tait, Tiesi, Socino, Watson; Delany, Young; Vickers, McGuigan, Vea; Green, Robinson; Wilson, Welch (capt), Latu

Replacements: Lawson, Rogers, Cusack, Botha, Hogg, Takulua, Willis, Harris

London Irish: Maitland; Lewington, Hearn, Williams, Fenby; Tonks, Steele; Court, Paice, Aulika; Lloyd, Symons; Sinclair, Cowan, Narraway (capt)

Replacements: Cruse, Smallbone, Halavatau, Sexton, Treviranus, McKibbin, Geraghty, Tikoirotuma.
Banquo

Re: Falcons V Irish Sun 3pm

Post by Banquo »

mad from Tonks..wtf..
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Young has got interminable scrum half delay in passing syndrome.....so ponderous all the time.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Pleased for Newcastle, but Irish blew so many chances there.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Yep, that was negligent stuff from Irish who won enough possession and had enough chances to have won the game. They have only got themselves to blame.
bitts

Post by bitts »

Lot of random stuff can keep a side up or send it down, but that pass from the Fijian center was one of the most bizarre.

Happy we won, but will have to improve a lot for next season. Really rate Hammersly, think he is a quality full back who I'm sure will do well when he is inevitably picked off by Leicester. Maybe an outside bet for Saxons.

God Michael Young's passing is slow. I've seen chess players make quicker decisions.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

bitts wrote:Lot of random stuff can keep a side up or send it down, but that pass from the Fijian center was one of the most bizarre.

Happy we won, but will have to improve a lot for next season. Really rate Hammersly, think he is a quality full back who I'm sure will do well when he is inevitably picked off by Leicester. Maybe an outside bet for Saxons.

God Michael Young's passing is slow. I've seen chess players make quicker decisions.
It was him getting slower and slower and kicking it away that brought Irish into the game.
Epaminondas Pules

Post by Epaminondas Pules »

Irish were truly terrible. Decision making, accuracy, execution, basic skills.

That said hats off to Johnny Williams. As a 19 year old his reading and constant willingness to stick his hand up was outstanding. 17 carries, mostly in very heavy traffic and 13 tackles. Take a bow kid.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Epaminondas Pules wrote:Irish were truly terrible. Decision making, accuracy, execution, basic skills.

That said hats off to Johnny Williams. As a 19 year old his reading and constant willingness to stick his hand up was outstanding. 17 carries, mostly in very heavy traffic and 13 tackles. Take a bow kid.
It was odd actually from Irish- their build up play showed some real skill and vision (and some real pantsness), but they then made appalling decisions in the Falcons 22; they lacked any leadership in the backline- as you say, it was a 19 year old who was the solid one.
Epaminondas Pules

Banquo wrote:
Epaminondas Pules wrote:Irish were truly terrible. Decision making, accuracy, execution, basic skills.

It was odd actually from Irish- their build up play showed some real skill and vision (and some real pantsness), but they then made appalling decisions in the Falcons 22; they lacked any leadership in the backline- as you say, it was a 19 year old who was the solid one.
Aye, close in it was as bad as I've ever seen. Every aspect of their attack in the 22 was appalling.

So impressed for such a young lad. It's his reading and decision making that stands out for me.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Johnny certainly plays with a maturity and physicality beyond that of most 19 year olds. His defence caught my eye when I first saw him and it marks him out as a serious prospect. The lad has a bright future.
Peej

Post by Peej »

That was just awful from Irish. Sadly they deserve relegation, their play is way off the standard.

So who will be plucked by the other clubs? By the sounds of things Franks has already checked out. Hearn would be a good squad player for most teams. Maitland and Cowan will look elsewhere I think, and probably find some suitors.

But the stars are Symons and Lewington
Peej

Post by Peej »

Oh, and Williams, obviously, to add to the above, but reckon a year starting regularly in the Championship could be good for him
Digby

Post by Digby »

If Irish goes down then someone will be asked to be the home team in New York. I can't see anyone who is selling a decent number of tickets wanting to really annoy season ticket holders by removing a home game, and I can't see anyone not selling a decent number of tickets being who PRL would want to put forward.

And beyond that Quins will come under pressure to lose a home game from The Stoop, else the London Double Header will be a still odder affair.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Digby wrote:If Irish goes down then someone will be asked to be the home team in New York. I can't see anyone who is selling a decent number of tickets wanting to really annoy season ticket holders by removing a home game, and I can't see anyone not selling a decent number of tickets being who PRL would want to put forward.

And beyond that Quins will come under pressure to lose a home game from The Stoop, else the London Double Header will be a still odder affair.
I believe Sarries have already said they are willing to be the 'home' team in NY.

Bedford for the LDH?!?!!?
Digby

Post by Digby »

Mellsblue wrote:
Digby wrote:If Irish goes down then someone will be asked to be the home team in New York. I can't see anyone who is selling a decent number of tickets wanting to really annoy season ticket holders by removing a home game, and I can't see anyone not selling a decent number of tickets being who PRL would want to put forward.

I believe Sarries have already said they are willing to be the 'home' team in NY.

Bedford for the LDH?!?!!?
Sarries are already a home team in the LDH I think, so are they giving up Wembley or just having a much reduced fixture list at Allianz Park? Also I'm not sure Sarries are the team the league would want, they're just not a much watched side (not helped by travelling so much for home games perhaps).
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Peej wrote:Oh, and Williams, obviously, to add to the above, but reckon a year starting regularly in the Championship could be good for him
be better to have a year in the prem with a good side, like, say, Wasps
p/d

Post by p/d »

Banquo wrote: be better to have a year in the prem with a good side, like, say, Wasps

Indeed. God knows how playing for a sack of shyte like that in the Champ will be beneficial to him.
Epaminondas Pules

Banquo wrote:
Peej wrote:Oh, and Williams, obviously, to add to the above, but reckon a year starting regularly in the Championship could be good for him
If he were to play that is. It's the crux of a shit team with injuries giving a kid a chance (5th choice at the start of the season) or a good team giving him no chance. See Lozowski, before even considering a contemporary like Conor Dolan.

Tough. Where in the Prem would he get game time and also the ability to showcase in a less than utter shit team??
Puja

Post by Puja »

Epaminondas Pules wrote:
Banquo wrote:
If he were to play that is. It's the crux of a shit team with injuries giving a kid a chance (5th choice at the start of the season) or a good team giving him no chance. See Lozowski, before even considering a contemporary like Conor Dolan.

Tough. Where in the Prem would he get game time and also the ability to showcase in a less than utter shit team??
I was thinking about that during the game and Saracens would actually the place I'd want him to go for his development. He wouldn't be starting every week, but at 19 that's hardly a tragedy, and the players in front of him would be able to teach him something and wouldn't be insuperable obstacles. Plus they appear to be superb at developing young talent.

Puja
Backist Monk