EJ - 2 players will go with the U20's & 1 with 7's

Moderator: Puja

Timbo

EJ - 2 players will go with the U20's & 1 with 7's

Post by Timbo »

"A couple of really good young players I would have picked, but they will go with the Under-20s"

So is this more bullshit from Jones...is he talking about a couple of players he would have picked for the Saxons...is he being liberal with the word 'couple', and he's really just referring to Underhill....???

Coz I can't think of two players that are eligible for the U20's and are also right in the frame for the senior tour. Underhill possibly, but surely he's not talking about Mallinder orJohnny Williams?

He also referred to a fringe outside back who wants to play sevens this summer and that it's something he'll probably allow. Wade, Cipriani and Roko are the 3 names ive seen mentioned. Any thoughts?
bitts

Re: EJ - 2 players will go with the U20's & 1 with 7's

Post by bitts »

I could see Mallinder being involved in the Saxons as I'm not sure what he'll learn in the U20s. He's clearly a quality talent and it's not like we have a shed load of 12/15s we could pick.

I would guess the 7s player is Wade as I can't see who else could conceivably just walk back into a 7s team. I'd prefer him to be playing 15s though, I really don't think he's that far off getting in the side, just needs to sort out some of his positioning in defence.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

bitts wrote:I could see Mallinder being involved in the Saxons as I'm not sure what he'll learn in the U20s. He's clearly a quality talent and it's not like we have a shed load of 12/15s we could pick.

I would guess the 7s player is Wade as I can't see who else could conceivably just walk back into a 7s team. I'd prefer him to be playing 15s though, I really don't think he's that far off getting in the side, just needs to sort out some of his positioning in defence.
...we have 'just' been saying that since his debut, pretty much though? That said, it should be doable, and be interested to know who does the defensive calling in the Wasps midfield.
Peej

Post by Peej »

Wade's defensive work has improved, and isn't significantly weaker than his rivals e.g. Ashton, Roko. But I think he could be going to Rio.

I think Mallinder could well be as good as Devoto is thought to be, and could be the answer to the ball playing 12 if England want to go down that route
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Peej wrote:Wade's defensive work has improved, and isn't significantly weaker than his rivals e.g. Ashton, Roko. But I think he could be going to Rio.

I think Mallinder could well be as good as Devoto is thought to be, and could be the answer to the ball playing 12 if England want to go down that route
.....I'd be very surprised if he was anything like as good in defence as Roko, whose defence was the standout from when he got his only cap. His rivals also include May, Watson and Nowell; mind none are exactly rocks.

I think we'd need to see Mallinder more at 12 and indeed I'd like to! He is another who needs to improve his defence, harsh as that might sound. Seem to me though, that Eddie wants to go down the Manu route at 12 :). But it'll be nice to have the options there.
Peej

Post by Peej »

Banquo wrote:
Peej wrote:Wade's defensive work has improved, and isn't significantly weaker than his rivals e.g. Ashton, Roko. But I think he could be going to Rio.

.....I'd be very surprised if he was anything like as good in defence as Roko, whose defence was the standout from when he got his only cap. His rivals also include May, Watson and Nowell; mind none are exactly rocks.

I think we'd need to see Mallinder more at 12 and indeed I'd like to! He is another who needs to improve his defence, harsh as that might sound. Seem to me though, that Eddie wants to go down the Manu route at 12 :). But it'll be nice to have the options there.
In all honesty I'd like us to develop both a ball playing 12 and botch 12 style. Then you can go horses for courses depending on who you're playing.

Re: Wade, of the guys he's competing with it think Nowell's defensive work is the best. But while I don't think Wade's brilliance in attack completely out-weighs some of his defensive issues, I do think he's on balance and asset to a team
Epaminondas Pules

Post by Epaminondas Pules »

Timbo wrote:"A couple of really good young players I would have picked, but they will go with the Under-20s"

So is this more bullshit from Jones...is he talking about a couple of players he would have picked for the Saxons...is he being liberal with the word 'couple', and he's really just referring to Underhill....???

Coz I can't think of two players that are eligible for the U20's and are also right in the frame for the senior tour. Underhill possibly, but surely he's not talking about Mallinder orJohnny Williams?

He also referred to a fringe outside back who wants to play sevens this summer and that it's something he'll probably allow. Wade, Cipriani and Roko are the 3 names ive seen mentioned. Any thoughts?

Why wouldn't he take Millinder or Williams on the Saxons tour?

That said I'd let them play U20's. Anyone sayin they learn nothing from that is way off the mark. It's a great opportunity for both of them to play in a competitive team with a chance of winning the big one at age grade. It's a very competitive arena.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Peej wrote:
Banquo wrote:

In all honesty I'd like us to develop both a ball playing 12 and botch 12 style. Then you can go horses for courses depending on who you're playing.

Re: Wade, of the guys he's competing with it think Nowell's defensive work is the best. But while I don't think Wade's brilliance in attack completely out-weighs some of his defensive issues, I do think he's on balance and asset to a team
Ideally you would have simply a 12 who can both get over the gainline, and distribute well....I think that's what Eddie is after- see Nonu. I think its feasible to mix the styles up- and indeed desirable- but it's not just one guy in isolation. I'm not sure we are yet up to horses for courses :)

Nowell had a pretty poor defensive 6N to be honest. I'd like to see Wade in the side, if only his defence was at least solid; trouble is, against the likes of NZ, you have a tricky balance between taking the few chances you are likely to get, vs their ability to isolate and exploit weaknesses. But we too often fail to work on really talented players to maximise their potential.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

The only young players he can be talking about who will go with the U20s are Williams, Mallinder and possibly Underhill.

Joe Simpson is an option for 7's. I think he's played before and would easily have the pace for the game.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Epaminondas Pules wrote:
Timbo wrote:"A couple of really good young players I would have picked, but they will go with the Under-20s"

Why wouldn't he take Millinder or Williams on the Saxons tour?

That said I'd let them play U20's. Anyone sayin they learn nothing from that is way off the mark. It's a great opportunity for both of them to play in a competitive team with a chance of winning the big one at age grade. It's a very competitive arena.
I didn't say he wouldn't/shouldn't take Mallinder or Williams on the Saxons tour (beyond my points below).

And yes, personally I think the JWC should always be a big priority. Doing well in that tournament has all sorts of direct and indirect knock on effects, both for the individuals involved and the game in this country. Underhill, Williams and Mallinder should all be there imo. Good standard, meaningful rugby, and a lot of the best players present will be playing test rugby within a year or two.

Contrarily, I'm unconvinced of the merits of the Saxons, particularly at the end of a long hard season.
Eugene Wrayburn

Post by Eugene Wrayburn »

Some of you lot are taking Fast Eddie's comments rather more seriously than I'd have expected. it seem to me that he's throwing out comments to keep players feet to the fire and keep the press talking in directions he wants them rather than about what success in Oz might be.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

NS. Gone but not forgotten.
Epaminondas Pules

Post by Epaminondas Pules »

Eugene Wrayburn wrote:Some of you lot are taking Fast Eddie's comments rather more seriously than I'd have expected. it seem to me that he's throwing out comments to keep players feet to the fire and keep the press talking in directions he wants them rather than about what success in Oz might be.
Well indeed, but it's in the news so it must be gospel and I must read in to it every thing I possibly can.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Papers seem to think that the player Jones might let go to the 7's is Joe Simpson.