Greenwood's prem team of the season

Moderator: Puja

Digby

Re: Greenwood's prem team of the season

Post by Digby »

If one were to click on the link is it simply an article with a stated XV, or one of those annoying slideshows the Torygraph are so fond of?
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Digby wrote:If one were to click on the link is it simply an article with a stated XV, or one of those annoying slideshows the Torygraph are so fond of?
Live it a little and roll the dice. :o
Digby

Post by Digby »

Bloody annoying thing that format, at least he had some interesting choices

Waller
Taylor
du Plessis
Itoje
Evans
Armand
Smith
Waldrom
Wigglesworth
Steenson
Short
Betham
Daly
Heem
Piutau
Beasties

Post by Beasties »

He doesn't mind going for less obv choices. I can see where he's coming from with some of the less mainstream choices, he's maybe over-egged it a bit. Wiggie over Robson/Simmo? Really? And has Short been THAT good? Better than say Veainu?
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

He makes some good calls, I think.

The Armand selection is a good one, Taylor has been a model of consistency along with Steenson and Daly, and I've been very impressed with what I've seen of Heem.

Wiggy at SH, though, does seem out of kilter, while Waldrom ahead of Hughes or Billy is tough to accept.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Waldrom is the top try scorer in the prem, probably not the best 8 but I think the point of this list is to give some of the unfashionable players some acknowledgement in amongst the obvious ones.
Digby

Post by Digby »

My current team of the season, which isn't all about how well someone has played and ability but also with a view to how much I've simply enjoyed watching them, runs something like

Mullan
Thacker
Hill
Itoje
Ewels
Armand
Kvesic
Vunipola
Robson
Burns
Piutau
Williams
Olivier
Rokoduguni
Veaniu

And the award for the wtf are you paying them for is currently a tie between Matfield and Campagnaro
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Digby wrote:My current team of the season, which isn't all about how well someone has played and ability but also with a view to how much I've simply enjoyed watching them, runs something like

Mullan
Thacker
Hill
Itoje
Ewels
Armand
Kvesic
Vunipola
Robson
Burns
Piutau
Williams
Olivier
Rokoduguni
Veaniu

And the award for the wtf are you paying them for is currently a tie between Matfield and Campagnaro
The latter is mysterious- its not like he's had much of a chance, unlike the former. Odd by Chiefs.

I agree with most of your team, on your criteria, though I'd have Piutau S at 12, and prob Betham at 13.
Beasties

Post by Beasties »

twitchy wrote:Waldrom is the top try scorer in the prem, probably not the best 8 but I think the point of this list is to give some of the unfashionable players some acknowledgement in amongst the obvious ones.
Indeed, and I get why he's done it. Bit of a mystery why Andy Goode isn't in there going on that basis.........
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Beasties wrote:
twitchy wrote:Waldrom is the top try scorer in the prem, probably not the best 8 but I think the point of this list is to give some of the unfashionable players some acknowledgement in amongst the obvious ones.
Indeed, and I get why he's done it. Bit of a mystery why Andy Goode isn't in there going on that basis.........
he's on the RPA shortlist, as is Waldrom.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Actually we'll have Camoagnaro if they don't want him. I think he'd be great outside Roberts.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Mikey Brown wrote:Actually we'll have Camoagnaro if they don't want him. I think he'd be great outside Roberts.
yup. even with a silent p ;)
Spiffy

Post by Spiffy »

Digby wrote:My current team of the season, which isn't all about how well someone has played and ability but also with a view to how much I've simply enjoyed watching them, runs something like

Mullan
Thacker
Hill
Itoje
Ewels
Armand
Kvesic
Vunipola
Robson
Burns
Piutau
Williams
Olivier
Rokoduguni
Veaniu

Matfield is done and just collecting his pension. But Campagnaro is a good 13. Don't understand why he's not getting more game time at Exeter, even off the bench.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Spiffy wrote:
Matfield is done and just collecting his pension. But Campagnaro is a good 13. Don't understand why he's not getting more game time at Exeter, even off the bench.

I don't know if Matfield is done though it seems it, I doubt even for a moment he's interested in being less than excellent but it's really not working. I still don't understand the signing when they've so many other lineout options. The situation with Campagnaro is truly weird, it's not like they're picking bad teams or doing badly, but he's too good to be doing almost nothing.