Quins V Exeter

Moderator: Puja

Banquo

Re: Quins V Exeter

Post by Banquo »

Digby wrote:Now that's a pasting. And it would seem Mike Brown has properly laid into the soft culture Quins have had under COS, he may find when he gets back to training there's a player called Mike Brown who'll cite all trust is lost and want to be the first person to speak to Mike about speaking out in public.
lol, very good
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Oakboy wrote:
Banquo wrote:
fivepointer wrote:
EJ says he sees him as a 12 and its going to be interesting to see how he incorporates him and Manu into the midfield mix. Two very different players, offering very different threats. Wouldnt surprise me if they played together in Australia. Add in JJ and Daly and we're looking at a very handy quartet.
...he's also said he sees Manu as a 12, so you are right that it makes it interesting! I think he's a 10 tbh.
I think EJ has to try all the combinations as soon as possible. My suspicion is that he'd pick Tuilagi and Joseph from choice and it's hard to argue based on international experience. I'd prefer the other two because I'd always put the best hands at 12 and that is Slade by some distance. Daly just has to get a chance soon. I think he might be one who is a better international than club player.

Having said that, if I was picking a team for a one-off, must-win match tomorrow I'd pick Slade at 12 and Tuilagi at 13. Of course, it's all hot air if Tuilagi can't get fit and stay fit. A pragmatist might not count on that happening to a sufficient extent to see him as more than a bench option.
....be interesting to see what he does with Faz, too. Slade and Tuilagi would be a fascinating combo, not least in defence! If Jonesella see Tuilagi and Slade as 12's, you couldn't have much more of a contrast, and it will be quite a challenge to accommodate the change in tactics switching them about would necessitate, impacting forwards and backs. If we are going for 'multi-phase unstructured' rugby- and its not a trademark of EJ in all honesty- then we'd need a lot more than Slade to make that work. But I do agree that his handling is so good that we have to find a way to give him a chance to shine internationally- which means using his strengths and not shoehorning him into a role to which he isn't suited (not that I think Eddie will to be fair).
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Banquo wrote:
Oakboy wrote:
Banquo wrote: ...he's also said he sees Manu as a 12, so you are right that it makes it interesting! I think he's a 10 tbh.
I think EJ has to try all the combinations as soon as possible. My suspicion is that he'd pick Tuilagi and Joseph from choice and it's hard to argue based on international experience. I'd prefer the other two because I'd always put the best hands at 12 and that is Slade by some distance. Daly just has to get a chance soon. I think he might be one who is a better international than club player.

Having said that, if I was picking a team for a one-off, must-win match tomorrow I'd pick Slade at 12 and Tuilagi at 13. Of course, it's all hot air if Tuilagi can't get fit and stay fit. A pragmatist might not count on that happening to a sufficient extent to see him as more than a bench option.
....be interesting to see what he does with Faz, too. Slade and Tuilagi would be a fascinating combo, not least in defence! If Jonesella see Tuilagi and Slade as 12's, you couldn't have much more of a contrast, and it will be quite a challenge to accommodate the change in tactics switching them about would necessitate, impacting forwards and backs. If we are going for 'multi-phase unstructured' rugby- and its not a trademark of EJ in all honesty- then we'd need a lot more than Slade to make that work. But I do agree that his handling is so good that we have to find a way to give him a chance to shine internationally- which means using his strengths and not shoehorning him into a role to which he isn't suited (not that I think Eddie will to be fair).
I really don't understand Jones's criteria on why a player is a 12 or 13. He seems to believe everybody is a 12. He essentially described the perfect 12 as a Tuilagi that can pass, and then picked Farrell there and is saying he can be world class?! Also sees Daly and Slade as capable there but Tuilagi is in no way a 13? I'm not convinced he really actually knows what he is looking and/or just likes talking.

It should be interesting though. I just really hope we don't see Farrell/Slade put together in the middle.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Mikey Brown wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Oakboy wrote:

I really don't understand Jones's criteria on why a player is a 12 or 13. He seems to believe everybody is a 12. He essentially described the perfect 12 as a Tuilagi that can pass, and then picked Farrell there and is saying he can be world class?! Also sees Daly and Slade as capable there but Tuilagi is in no way a 13? I'm not convinced he really actually knows what he is looking and/or just likes talking.

It should be interesting though. I just really hope we don't see Farrell/Slade put together in the middle.
I think the Faz selection was a make do and mend; I think he really wants a Maa Nonu type to get over the gainline and hold defences, but with good handling skills, for the game plan he thinks is a winner with the players he has. But you are right, there is a contradiction........who'd have thunk it from mysterious Eddie :). His training squad excluding the semi finalists players is interesting
Forwards
Dave Attwood (Bath Rugby)

Kieran Brookes (Northampton Saints)

Jack Clifford (Harlequins)

Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby)

Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints)

Teimana Harrison (Northampton Saints)

Paul Hill (Northampton Saints)

Matt Kvesic (Gloucester Rugby)

Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints)

Joe Marler (Harlequins)

Chris Robshaw (Harlequins)

Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins)

Tommy Taylor (Sale Sharks)

Backs

Mike Brown (Harlequins)

Luther Burrell (Northampton Saints)

Danny Care (Harlequins)

Danny Cipriani (Sale Sharks)

Ollie Devoto (Bath Rugby)

George Ford (Bath Rugby)

Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby)

Mike Haley (Sale Sharks)

Alex Lewington (London Irish)

Semesa Rokoduguni (Bath Rugby)

Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby)

Marland Yarde (Harlequins)

Micky Young (Newcastle Falcons)

The squad is minus the inclusion of players from Saracens, Exeter Chiefs, Wasps and Leicester Tigers who are all involved in the Premiership play-offs.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Sinckler being included I quite like, for all his issues he's talented.
Harvey Quin

Post by Harvey Quin »

Digby wrote:Sinckler being included I quite like, for all his issues he's talented.
I reckon Quins are in the unusual position of having a prop (Sink) who is faster than a centre (Roberts).