Initial Training Squad

Moderator: Puja

Mikey Brown

Re: Initial Training Squad

Post by Mikey Brown »

Digby wrote:
Banquo wrote:His height is even more surprising given he was a hooker for Gosforth.
I don't think I ever knew that. I'd assumed 8 or perhaps a 6, and had I been told he played lock given when he played I'd have accepted that as more than reasonable.

Edit - Actually this suggests (even allowing for he's perhaps wearing heels rather than having studs going into the ground) he could play lock pretty much whenever;

And he wasn't rake thin by any means.
Gosh. Was Mark Cueto kicking around that long?
Puja

Post by Puja »

Lizard wrote:
Puja wrote:
Lizard wrote:I'm just saying that since Hartley blazed the path, being a troubled youth out of Rotorua Boys High School with a penchant for terrible haircuts seems be a direct path into the upper echelons of English rugby.

I mean seriously, you really want to claim this on the basis of English blood?

A direct path? They're not exactly rugby league players - Hartley wasn't capped by England until he'd been in the country 6 years. Harrison's only just started playing regularly for Saints this season and has only made it into a preliminary training squad after having been in the country 5 years.

Suggests to me that they both needed a significant amount of work to bring them up to standard after leaving NZ.

Puja
Unlike all those 18 year olds strolling straight from the playing fields of Eton into your national squad.
He's older than Itoje, Kruis, Billy V, Ford, Watson and Nowell. Clearly you in NZ should work on your development of young talent to try and get it up to our level.

Puja
Backist Monk
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Mikey Brown wrote:
Digby wrote:
Banquo wrote:His height is even more surprising given he was a hooker for Gosforth.
I don't think I ever knew that. I'd assumed 8 or perhaps a 6, and had I been told he played lock given when he played I'd have accepted that as more than reasonable.

Edit - Actually this suggests (even allowing for he's perhaps wearing heels rather than having studs going into the ground) he could play lock pretty much whenever;

Nope........14 is possibly Jon Sleightholme......doesn't look like Tony Underwood from behind. Is that Catt on the left?
Digby

Post by Digby »

Banquo wrote:
Mikey Brown wrote:
Digby wrote:

Nope........14 is possibly Jon Sleightholme......doesn't look like Tony Underwood from behind. Is that Catt on the left?
Yes it's Catt, and I thought it looked more like Sleightholme than Hunter
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Digby wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Mikey Brown wrote:
I'd discounted Hunter as looking a bit short for him. Mind I did think Catt was Callard initially!
Digby

Post by Digby »

Banquo wrote:
Digby wrote:
Banquo wrote: Nope........14 is possibly Jon Sleightholme......doesn't look like Tony Underwood from behind. Is that Catt on the left?
I'd discounted Hunter as looking a bit short for him. Mind I did think Catt was Callard initially!
There's also Hunter (or whoever did his boots) tended to get the black polish and just polish all over, so he'd perhaps not have had the strips of white showing. You just never know when this sort of info will prove useful
Peat

Post by Peat »

Banquo wrote:
Digby wrote:
I could be talking bollox of course- I was told that, but could have been made-up! Second row from his era much more likely.
A quick google of Jack Rowell Gosforth turns up two articles alleging he was a second row.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Peat wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Digby wrote:
I could be talking bollox of course- I was told that, but could have been made-up! Second row from his era much more likely.
A quick google of Jack Rowell Gosforth turns up two articles alleging he was a second row.
Thanks for that :)
jngf

Post by jngf »

Spotted Steve Ojomoh at No.8 in that photo. Should have been first choice No.8 far more often than he was in Cooke and Rowell era. Very explosive and better than Richards or Clarke at 8 from '94 onwards imo.
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

jngf wrote:Spotted Steve Ojomoh at No.8 in that photo. Should have been first choice No.8 far more often than he was in Cooke and Rowell era. Very explosive and better than Richards or Clarke at 8 from '94 onwards imo.
I always thought Ojomoh was a classic 10/70 player. He did 10 minutes worth of eye-catching stuff and very little in the other 70.