Good TV Shows

Numbers

Re: Good TV Shows

Post by Numbers »

Eugene Wrayburn wrote:
Numbers wrote:Line of Duty started again yesterday, this is excellent drama imo, it should be good as Stephen Graham is playing the main baddie in this one.
My word they've started with even more of a bang this time!
Aye, looks like it's gonna be a cracker.
Adder

Post by Adder »

New HBO show on Chernobyl.
Just saw the first episode. Well worth a look.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7366338/
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Santa Clarita Diet... shouldnt work but really does.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
It was so much easier to blame Them. It was bleakly depressing to think They were Us. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Years and Years. Bit heavy handed on the trope front, but entertaining and kinda thought provoking
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

Adder wrote:New HBO show on Chernobyl.

First 2 are excellent.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

OptimisticJock wrote:
Adder wrote:New HBO show on Chernobyl.

First 2 are excellent.
Yep just watched them; great cast, and some very moving moments.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

It was bloody excellent telly!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

WaspInWales wrote:It was bloody excellent telly!

Aye, eye-opening for me too as I never realised the amount of effort to cover it up at the time.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Brockmire is a good comedy, it's on FOX and currently on season 3.

Here's the trailer:

OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

Numbers wrote:

Aye, eye-opening for me too as I never realised the amount of effort to cover it up at the time.
Indeed. Episode 3 takes it to a new level. I don't really get moved by TV or film but fuck me that was harrowing.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

OptimisticJock wrote:
Numbers wrote:

Indeed. Episode 3 takes it to a new level. I don't really get moved by TV or film but fuck me that was harrowing.
and moving for the courage shown by all the folks who were't covering up, but clearing up and trying to fix the mess.
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

Banquo wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:
Numbers wrote:

and moving for the courage shown by all the folks who were't covering up, but clearing up and trying to fix the mess.
Absolutely. Those miners were class.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

OptimisticJock wrote:
Banquo wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote: Indeed. Episode 3 takes it to a new level. I don't really get moved by TV or film but fuck me that was harrowing.
yes, humour and pathos, ditto the firemen, the nuclear physicists and even Boris.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

OptimisticJock wrote:
Banquo wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote: Indeed. Episode 3 takes it to a new level. I don't really get moved by TV or film but fuck me that was harrowing.
The head miner has packed on a fair bit of timber since Eastenders.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Numbers wrote:

Does anyone have any idea on how accurate it is?

Don't get me wrong, I can easily believe the general gist of things but I was like 10-11 at the time so beyond the main headlines of 'radiation cloud', 'livestock dying', 'no fuck that, we're all gonna die', I probably missed out on quite a bit.

I'm aware Emily Watson's character is fictionalised.

Still though, it truly is an amazing dramatisation. Seems to have struck the perfect balance in its delivery.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

WaspInWales wrote:
Numbers wrote:

Does anyone have any idea on how accurate it is?

Don't get me wrong, I can easily believe the general gist of things but I was like 10-11 at the time so beyond the main headlines of 'radiation cloud', 'livestock dying', 'no fuck that, we're all gonna die', I probably missed out on quite a bit.

I'm aware Emily Watson's character is fictionalised.

Still though, it truly is an amazing dramatisation. Seems to have struck the perfect balance in its delivery.
also an interesting study in how having an unchallengable hierarchy can lead to disaster. See also Korean Airlines.
morepork

Post by morepork »

RR comes through again. I checked it out and Chernobyl is thoroughly engrossing viewing. Pitch perfect.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

morepork wrote:RR comes through again. I checked it out and Chernobyl is thoroughly engrossing viewing. Pitch perfect.

According to the ad I saw for it last night on SKY it is the highest ranking tv show of all time on IMDB currently, 9.6/10.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

That does happen quite a lot when there’s buzz around a new show, not that that’s a reason to dismiss it.

I’m quite curious to give it a go based on this thread but I can’t work out exactly how I feel about the subject matter. Does it feel like a documentary? Is it entertaining in a more conventional dramatic sense? It just sounds so morbid.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Mikey Brown wrote:That does happen quite a lot when there’s buzz around a new show, not that that’s a reason to dismiss it.

I’m quite curious to give it a go based on this thread but I can’t work out exactly how I feel about the subject matter. Does it feel like a documentary? Is it entertaining in a more conventional dramatic sense? It just sounds so morbid.
Watch it, it is morbid but also fascinating, this may be due to the fact I used to work at a nuclear power facility however.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Mikey Brown wrote:That does happen quite a lot when there’s buzz around a new show, not that that’s a reason to dismiss it.

lots of layers. Illuminates cold war USSR, human stories of heroism and cowardice, and informative. Great acting and production values.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Very morbid and slow last evening. Still compelling.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

For anyone who watched Deadwood back in the day there is a film out with all the same actors which is showing on Saturday night 9pm Sky Atlantic.
WaspInWales

Re: RE: Re: Good TV Shows

Post by WaspInWales »

Banquo wrote:Very morbid and slow last evening. Still compelling.
Yep, and set in a time when smoking was not just cool, but compulsory [emoji16]

WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

The next episode, #5, looks like it will be mouthwateringly good! Be good to see Paul Ritter's character back in slightly better health.