BBD
Site Admin

Re: Ireland v Scotland

Post by BBD »

Great start by Ireland
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Lots of understandable moaning on the SMB but your lot were spectacular today. Ferocious in every aspect, the pressure meant we could do... well... sweet f*ck all apparently. Well played.
Renniks

Post by Renniks »

Pack did great,
kicking was on point,
and that meant the backs could grow into the game

Can't ask for more really
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Well played. SA should be a ferocious game but hope you go on to win it.
Eugene Wrayburn

Post by Eugene Wrayburn »

Played like world number 1s. Sure there were mistakes - there always will be - but basically as potent an attacking force as Scotland barely got a sniff and we made plenty of line breaks and impressive runs ourselves.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

NS. Gone but not forgotten.
SerjeantWildgoose

Post by SerjeantWildgoose »

I’d go no further than saying that was satisfactory today. Farrell must be delighted to see his defensive doctrine matched by a nigh on perfect performance for the first time in about 18 months. There’s no denying it’s effect today, but I think that was largely down to the lack of ability on the part of the Jocks to figure things out on the hoof. They weren’t the luckiest side today, but the Scots were well beaten so I can’t imagine what they might find to gurn about on the SMB (I’ll have a sneaky peek to sate the schadenfreude just now).

B st wishes to Hamish; I hope that his being lightly clamped and sitting on the bench for the second half suggests that his World Cup might not yet be over.
Idle Feck
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Eugene Wrayburn wrote:Played like world number 1s. Sure there were mistakes - there always will be - but basically as potent an attacking force as Scotland barely got a sniff and we made plenty of line breaks and impressive runs ourselves.
Yep. Russell fully shut down today.
Spiffy

Post by Spiffy »

Mikey Brown wrote:
Eugene Wrayburn wrote:Played like world number 1s. Sure there were mistakes - there always will be - but basically as potent an attacking force as Scotland barely got a sniff and we made plenty of line breaks and impressive runs ourselves.
Yep. Russell fully shut down today.
Yes. If you put the shackles on Russell and Hogg Scotland have no plan B.
Surely Scotland must have a few better forwards avaiable than your underpowered pack of today.
Stom

Post by Stom »

And...what is the point of Duncan Taylor? You lot were thinking a lot of him and there was I thinking...this is a guy who is at best Premiership quality, did I miss something? Well no, it appears I didn't.

What happened to that other great white hope of the 13 shirt, Huw "Revolving Door" Jones?
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Stom wrote:And...what is the point of Duncan Taylor? You lot were thinking a lot of him and there was I thinking...this is a guy who is at best Premiership quality, did I miss something? Well no, it appears I didn't.

What happened to that other great white hope of the 13 shirt, Huw "Revolving Door" Jones?
Based on one international game in which the entire team got hosed and were made to look like amateurs by a superb Ireland team? A single performance doesn't vindicate your assessment. I know you're not the brightest but you'll never be anything but the moron who thought George Lowe would be an England stalwart to me.
Puja

Post by Puja »

hugh_woatmeigh wrote:
Stom wrote:And...what is the point of Duncan Taylor? You lot were thinking a lot of him and there was I thinking...this is a guy who is at best Premiership quality, did I miss something? Well no, it appears I didn't.

Based on one international game in which the entire team got hosed and were made to look like amateurs by a superb Ireland team? A single performance doesn't vindicate your assessment. I know you're not the brightest but you'll never be anything but the moron who thought George Lowe would be an England stalwart to me.
On the flip side, what evidence do you have that Duncan Taylor is worth the hype? I'm with Stom - he's looked okay at best for Saracens and has been injured for a very long time. At least George Lowe lit up the Premiership when he played.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I’m sure the Irish board members are fascinated by this debate.
SerjeantWildgoose

Post by SerjeantWildgoose »

We have an attention disorder (Plenty of attention deficit but non of the hyper-activity that usually goes with it), so feel free to crack on. We're already looking forward to the start of the Pro14 next weekend.
Idle Feck
Puja

Post by Puja »

If you want something on topic and relevant, here's what my brain fill in every time you full-back catches the ball and commentators say his name.

Puja
Backist Monk
Stones of granite

Post by Stones of granite »

SerjeantWildgoose wrote:I’d go no further than saying that was satisfactory today. Farrell must be delighted to see his defensive doctrine matched by a nigh on perfect performance for the first time in about 18 months. There’s no denying it’s effect today, but I think that was largely down to the lack of ability on the part of the Jocks to figure things out on the hoof. They weren’t the luckiest side today, but the Scots were well beaten so I can’t imagine what they might find to gurn about on the SMB (I’ll have a sneaky peek to sate the schadenfreude just now).

B st wishes to Hamish; I hope that his being lightly clamped and sitting on the bench for the second half suggests that his World Cup might not yet be over.
I haven't gone through the SMB, so have no idea what opinions have been expressed, and I watched the game sober for once albeit through a fog of jet-lag.
I think you ought be satisfied. That was an excellent performance by Ireland, who knew how to nullify the Scottish attack, and who showed that they are miles ahead of Scotland right now in pretty much every area of the game.
I was going to write that on that form, Ireland should do well in this RWC, but I'm not sure that Scotland even tested them enough for that view to be well founded.
Anyway, I wish Ireland all the best for the rest of the tournament, and I fully expect the Scotland team to be watching it from Edinburgh after the group stage is complete.