"English people living in Wales tilted it towards Brexit, research finds"

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... t-research

Все буде Україна!
Смерть ворогам!!

Sandydragon

Re: Bloody Foreigners!!

Post by Sandydragon »

Bastards!!!

Although I know a few born and bred Welshmen who also voted to leave. I’ve had some interesting family discussions since the referendum.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Zhivago wrote:"English people living in Wales tilted it towards Brexit, research finds"

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... t-research
Not a surprise about the more affluent south voting leave, although Stoke in Trent is a real leave hot spot.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Sandydragon wrote:Bastards!!!

Although I know a few born and bred Welshmen who also voted to leave. I’ve had some interesting family discussions since the referendum.
I was chatting to a Welshman last Wednesday (might have been Thursday) and he was citing control of establishing new laws being ceded to the EU Commission without recourse to political oversight back under the Brown government under the Lisbon Treaty as being the reason we have to leave. I've since been reading the report by the House of Lords on the Lisbon Treaty and I can't establish what he's concerned about, nor has he been able to tell me which bit of the Lisbon Treaty I need to refer to. I do accept he was once a reasonably senior person in the Civil Service and does have some understanding around who things work, though it's possible the decades of hard drinking have rather caught up with him
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

That’s a new one on me. As far as I know, it’s only when the EU has created a new directive or regulation, which we then implement as a UK law that we need to refer back to them. We have created hundreds of UK only laws which have been our business only.

I did have a long row with my step father over the new Lisbon treaty. Every claim he made about it, with outrage borrowed from the Sun, was basically bollocks. Since few people bother to read such documents it’s easy for thebullshit artists to have a field day.
Digby

Post by Digby »

There was a great exchange on Twitter between a Brexiter and an international lawyer around the Brexiter stating the Lisbon Treaty allowed for and even ensured a federal Europe, the layer denied this stating it actually prevented this if anything, the Brexiter asked if he'd even read the Lisbon Treaty and the lawyer replied yes, he wrote it
Adder

Re: RE: Re: Bloody Foreigners!!

Post by Adder »

Digby wrote:There was a great exchange on Twitter between a Brexiter and an international lawyer around the Brexiter stating the Lisbon Treaty allowed for and even ensured a federal Europe, the layer denied this stating it actually prevented this if anything, the Brexiter asked if he'd even read the Lisbon Treaty and the lawyer replied yes, he wrote it
Him and thousands of other people;)

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk
Digby

Re: RE: Re: Bloody Foreigners!!

Post by Digby »

Adder wrote:
Digby wrote:There was a great exchange on Twitter between a Brexiter and an international lawyer around the Brexiter stating the Lisbon Treaty allowed for and even ensured a federal Europe, the layer denied this stating it actually prevented this if anything, the Brexiter asked if he'd even read the Lisbon Treaty and the lawyer replied yes, he wrote it
Him and thousands of other people;)

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk
Sadly it seems the idiot has deleted their original comment, a shame as it was one of those laugh at the lunatic in the asylum moments we all enjoy, not that I understand how twitter works, which likely means people will (rightly) laugh at me too

Banquo

Post by Banquo »

I know two senior diplomats, and they both voted to Leave. Their reasons seemed to be antipathy towards their european counterparts. Odd for foreign office seniors to be xenophobes, ya'd think!
Digby

Post by Digby »

Banquo wrote:I know two senior diplomats, and they both voted to Leave. Their reasons seemed to be antipathy towards their european counterparts. Odd for foreign office seniors to be xenophobes, ya'd think!
Yes Minister had it as an article of faith that the Foreign Office was only in favour of our joining the EEC in order to break it up, and there's probably no small amount of truth in that.

We have finally heard back from the government though on all the questions we've raised, which I didn't understand earlier today when I was told I'd gotten an email from the cabinet, I was trying to work out what part of the internal business might have decided to call itself a cabinet, was it for instance an offshoot of the board I wasn't familiar with and was I later going get something from the dresser, it had to be explained it was actually from someone in the cabinet office. The response from the government isn't helpful though, more it seems like having been annoyed by being requested to give specific answers they wanted to create some work for us to try and make us shut up. It did cause some amusement in the business as several people assumed I was getting dumped on with the amount of work being asked for, but when I queried if they really thought I owned the processes being discussed and wanted to be beholden to whatever statements I might make they decided other persons should respond.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Banquo wrote:I know two senior diplomats, and they both voted to Leave. Their reasons seemed to be antipathy towards their european counterparts. Odd for foreign office seniors to be xenophobes, ya'd think!
The British Diplomatic Service ain’t what it used to be.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Sandydragon wrote:
The Welsh chap I was speaking to was once in the Diplomatic Service
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Sandydragon wrote:
as they've both retired, no :)