All Blacks v England. Oh sh**.

Moderator: morepork

zer0

Re: All Blacks v England. Oh sh**.

Post by zer0 »

paddy no 11 wrote:Ye missed franks ability to cheat successfully today and laumape to bring some physicality in hindsight beauden at 10 and smith at 15 was a better option, still forwards were smashed and not sure ye had any answers there in selection terms?
They certainly failed to do their jobs, but there's also plenty of alternative selections in the forwards. Some were overlooked for one reason or another (Owen Franks, Karl Tu'inukuafe, Dalton Papali'i). Others are uncapped big lumps of human ripe for physical confrontations (Akira Ioane, Andrew Makalio, Pari Pari Parkinson).

In retrospect, Papali'i would've been far and away the most useful of those absent. Honestly would've been in the squad from the start ahead of Jacobson for mine, but also could've been brought in to replace Todd. But that's all academic now.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Puja wrote:Bad luck guys - it's a testament to how great a side that you are that I only stopped being terrified that you'd snatch it from us when there were 2 minutes to go. We had to work ridiculously hard for that and you pushed us all the way.

Puja
Aye, same.

Even when the clock was in the red I thought we may still lose.

NZ were not at their clinical best, but England deserve a lot of credit for that imo.

It was the best I've seen us play for a number of years.
Spy

Post by Spy »

There were some selections that didn't work out, but the way this game panned out I don't think realistic alternative options would have made any difference. England played so well, and we were so poor, that we would get beaten regardless imo. Might have gone differently on another day, but we were hammered.

It's just so unusual to see a NZ team so comprehensively beaten. Even when we lose, we normally have periods of the game when we are on top. Not last night. Seemed like we were shut down and beaten up all game.

Fuck it. It's not 2011. I'm managing to be a bit philosophical about this loss.
J Dory

Post by J Dory »

Let's just take the moral victory and move on.
Beasties

Post by Beasties »

WaspInWales wrote:
Puja wrote:Bad luck guys - it's a testament to how great a side that you are that I only stopped being terrified that you'd snatch it from us when there were 2 minutes to go. We had to work ridiculously hard for that and you pushed us all the way.

Puja
Aye, same.

Even when the clock was in the red I thought we may still lose.

NZ were not at their clinical best, but England deserve a lot of credit for that imo.

It was the best I've seen us play for a number of years.
+2
That was an absolutely fabulous performance from Eng, we were all shitting ourselves until about 2 mins left, there's a reason for that. It's sad that the NZ Nation will prob feel like throwing themselves off the nearest cliff as a response. Eng made you look ordinary but you really aren't. Take comfort from that fact whilst reflecting, Eng were just the better team on the day. On another day NZ win.

As shocked as you lot are, so are we.
canta_brian

Post by canta_brian »

I just watched it again. Trying to see if there was anything that might have changed it.

There is only one that I can see. When Retallick broke away through the middle of the field, had he passed a bit earlier and linked up with the backs who were bombing through we might have been back.

On the other hand....

If Farrell could catch we would have shipped another couple of tries in the first half
The 2nd English try that was ruled out. Perfectly correct decision, but blimey, they don't get spotted or called often. I certainly didn't notice it live on Saturday.

I said on Saturday that another ref might have blown England off the park. I will stand by that. With Owens the offside line is always a bit of a grey area, as is the point the tackle is over and the ball must be released. England flooded rucks, took liberties with crawling a few yards and hung on for dear life. I have only one question. Why the feck didn't we? Did Read even try and point out any of this to Owens? If he did why didn't we adjust and put numbers in. Who's masterplan was it to say the best way to counter getting monstered at the ruck was to fling miracle ball passes at players heads when they were already under pressure.

What a shit show.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

NZ also butchered their first three attempts at mauls. Having picked Barret for that power game, those mistakes helped stop them really going for it.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Cameo wrote:NZ also butchered their first three attempts at mauls. Having picked Barret for that power game, those mistakes helped stop them really going for it.
I would say more neutralised than butchered. Mind, I don't know who looks at this England team and decides that the way to attack them is through the maul.

Puja
Backist Monk
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Puja wrote:
Cameo wrote:NZ also butchered their first three attempts at mauls. Having picked Barret for that power game, those mistakes helped stop them really going for it.
I would say more neutralised than butchered. Mind, I don't know who looks at this England team and decides that the way to attack them is through the maul.

Puja
Maybe but there were at least a couple where they just dropped the ball at the back so had to get it out.