Good TV Shows

Numbers

Re: Good TV Shows

Post by Numbers »

zer0 wrote:So yeah, the Mandalorian is pretty cool if you're looking for some good Star Wars.
I'm quite enjoying this, the last episode was a bit twee tho.
kk67

Post by kk67 »

Gemma Whelan is quality.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

I finished watching the Watchmen, I quite liked it.

Here's a list of shows that I've seen this year which were good in no particular order:

Barry
Ghosts
What we do in the shadows
Peaky Blinders
GoT
Mindhunter
A Series of Unfortunate Events
Chernobyl
His Dark Materials
Guilt
Afterlife
Line of Duty
The Virtues
Killing Eve
The End of the Fucking World
Don't Forget the Driver
Stranger Things

I'm sure there are more that I can't remember.
kk67

Post by kk67 »

His dark materials is kinda pointless unless you've read the books.
kk67

Post by kk67 »

.... And you missed fleabag and fortitude.
kk67

Post by kk67 »

And upstart crow.
kk67

Post by kk67 »

Romero and Julian.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

I haven't seen any of those KK, other than Fortitude, which wasn't this year..
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

kk67 wrote:His dark materials is kinda pointless unless you've read the books.
Interested to know why do you think that. I have read the books so can't answer from experience, but I don't see why this would be inaccessible to a newcomer.
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Numbers wrote:I finished watching the Watchmen, I quite liked it.

Here's a list of shows that I've seen this year which were good in no particular order:

Barry
Ghosts
What we do in the shadows
Peaky Blinders
GoT
Mindhunter
A Series of Unfortunate Events
Chernobyl
His Dark Materials
Guilt
Afterlife
Line of Duty
The Virtues
Killing Eve
The End of the Fucking World
Don't Forget the Driver
Stranger Things

I'm sure there are more that I can't remember.
My views on those I've seen:

Watchmen - much better than the first episode suggested. The series ultimately wove itself to the comic (not the film) in a very clever and intricate way (although I'm not sure how comprehensible it was to a newcomer). I didn't entirely like the direction the series took, but it was extremely well done.

What we do in the shadows - great, probably better than the film even.

GoT - a good solid end to the epic. Couldn't completely avoid implausible events, but by and large up to the high standard of what had come before.

Chernobyl - brilliant.

His Dark Materials - couldn't imagine an adaptation of the books done much better (other than James McAvoy perhaps). Sensible to put Subtle Knife prologue material into this series.

Killing Eve - I gave up after series one, finding it too ridiculous to allow suspension of disbelief by the end.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Still not seen anything on TV this year come even remotely close to Succession.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Anyone seen The Goes Wrong show? Done by the same people who do The Play That Goes wrong, it's a comedy presented as a play done by a bunch of dedicated, slightly crap actors and an up-himself director where things go wrong - props break or are in the wrong place, lines are forgotten, sets fall down and the actors are earnestly trying to act around the disasters with varying levels of skill.

Watched the first three episodes last night and literally had to pause it at one point cause I was laughing so hard my chest hurt. All on iPlayer at the moment and thoroughly recommended.

Puja
Backist Monk
Donny osmond

Re: RE: Re: Good TV Shows

Post by Donny osmond »

Mikey Brown wrote:Still not seen anything on TV this year come even remotely close to Succession.
Best TV I've seen in ages.

Anyone watching The Witcher? It's very strange. Quite crap but strangely bingable.

Sent from my CPH1951 using Tapatalk
It was so much easier to blame Them. It was bleakly depressing to think They were Us. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Billyfish wrote:Fingers Crossed. Going Postal was as close as anyone has got to reproducing Pratchett successfully and even that lost its way a bit. Often thought Terry Gilliam with a big bag of money would be the best person to have a crack at them.
First publicity images are out. It's really not looking good at this stage. Current intention will be to actively avoid it unless the buzz suggests that these first looks are lying.
https://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2020/0 ... icity.html
onlynameleft

Post by onlynameleft »

Puja wrote:Anyone seen The Goes Wrong show? Done by the same people who do The Play That Goes wrong, it's a comedy presented as a play done by a bunch of dedicated, slightly crap actors and an up-himself director where things go wrong - props break or are in the wrong place, lines are forgotten, sets fall down and the actors are earnestly trying to act around the disasters with varying levels of skill.

Watched the first three episodes last night and literally had to pause it at one point cause I was laughing so hard my chest hurt. All on iPlayer at the moment and thoroughly recommended.

Puja
This is brilliant so far so thanks.
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Just finished season 1 of Messiah on Netflix... bizarre to say it's very very watchable despite the fact that almost nothing actually happens.

Sent from my CPH1951 using Tapatalk
It was so much easier to blame Them. It was bleakly depressing to think They were Us. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

What a strangely compelling description of a show I know nothing about.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Which Tyler wrote:
Billyfish wrote:Fingers Crossed. Going Postal was as close as anyone has got to reproducing Pratchett successfully and even that lost its way a bit. Often thought Terry Gilliam with a big bag of money would be the best person to have a crack at them.
First publicity images are out. It's really not looking good at this stage. Current intention will be to actively avoid it unless the buzz suggests that these first looks are lying.
https://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2020/0 ... icity.html
That looks awful, I don't know why they can't stick to the books, it's not that hard surely.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Might be utterly redundant to even say this at this point, but I'm rewatching the Wire and you know what? It's really, really fucking good. There are a bunch of things I either missed before, or parallels you can only really draw if you've already seen the later season.

Season 2 I had thought was a bit weak on first viewing, as I think many did- because it changed so much, but it's absolutely banging so far.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Enjoying season 10 of Curb your Enthusiasm [emoji106][emoji108][emoji16]

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Sex Education - so inappropriate
Funny, but I can't get my head around there being a huge American high school in the Forest of Dean, when I know that the 2 towns acting as locations have a total population about the same size as the student population of the campus used (local knowledge really doesn't help the suspesion of disbelief). No problem with the 80s setting, but it being american (except for the accents and rugby balls instead of USfootballs) just seems weird to me, and keeps pulling me out.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Which Tyler wrote:Sex Education - so inappropriate
Funny, but I can't get my head around there being a huge American high school in the Forest of Dean, when I know that the 2 towns acting as locations have a total population about the same size as the student population of the campus used (local knowledge really doesn't help the suspesion of disbelief). No problem with the 80s setting, but it being american (except for the accents and rugby balls instead of USfootballs) just seems weird to me, and keeps pulling me out.
Filmed in and around Newport too.

Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Very funny and yes inappropriate; I do think the setting is deliberately off-kilter to avoid pigeon-holing time or place'. Even whackier when the actress who plays Maeve is actually French.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

WaspInWales wrote:
Caerleon at least, that'd be the university campus - University of Wales in Newport wasn't it? and maybe a couple of the houses, mostly though it seems to be Symmonds Yat, Chepstow, with Puzzlewood & other rural FoD locations
WaspInWales

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Good TV Shows

Post by WaspInWales »

Which Tyler wrote:
WaspInWales wrote:
Caerleon at least, that'd be the university campus - University of Wales in Newport wasn't it? and maybe a couple of the houses, mostly though it seems to be Symmonds Yat, Chepstow, with Puzzlewood & other rural FoD locations
Cwmcarn Forest drive too I believe..plus I think some scenes were recorded at the international sports Village in Newport too..plus some scenes were filmed in Cwmbran. I haven't watched it myself but my daughter does. She's convinced a Polish supermarket in town is in it too [emoji2369]