Fly half

Moderator: OptimisticJock

francoisfou

Fly half

Post by francoisfou »

I wonder if Gregor Townsend and Finn Russell have kissed and made up because from what we have seen recently, Russell simply must be first choice for Scotland, notwithstanding the fine player that Hastings may be. Russell will also probably be the Lions’ fly half in S Africa too. His sleight of hand and deft kicks were decisive for Racing (who is the Scottish equivalent of Vakatawa?!!!) Gwan, Toonie, eat some humble pie and do what’s best for Scottish rugby!
septic 9

Re: Fly half

Post by septic 9 »

francoisfou wrote:I wonder if Gregor Townsend and Finn Russell have kissed and made up because from what we have seen recently, Russell simply must be first choice for Scotland, notwithstanding the fine player that Hastings may be. Russell will also probably be the Lions’ fly half in S Africa too. His sleight of hand and deft kicks were decisive for Racing (who is the Scottish equivalent of Vakatawa?!!!) Gwan, Toonie, eat some humble pie and do what’s best for Scottish rugby!
was sorted many weeks ago.

Gatland pick Russell as staring Lions 10? I'll get my hat and some condiments ready. Russell will be lucky to go on tour, Gatland will getting Sexton a wheelchair, Farrell a lawyer, Bigger and set of ear plugs to give refs, and Ford a minder. Then he'll consider Russell, maybe
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

septic 9 wrote:
francoisfou wrote:I wonder if Gregor Townsend and Finn Russell have kissed and made up because from what we have seen recently, Russell simply must be first choice for Scotland, notwithstanding the fine player that Hastings may be. Russell will also probably be the Lions’ fly half in S Africa too. His sleight of hand and deft kicks were decisive for Racing (who is the Scottish equivalent of Vakatawa?!!!) Gwan, Toonie, eat some humble pie and do what’s best for Scottish rugby!
Russell will be lucky to go on tour
You cannot be serious! Sexton is way over the hill now, although Owen Farrell is more or less certain of his ticket. Sadly, the whining Biggar will probably make it too but neither of them offers what Russell does. But going back to my first point, will Townsend pick him?
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

They've made up as already pointed out but I still back Gregor over this - no player can be bigger than the team. Finn could do with a wise old head of a pal to better advise him off the pitch rather than a dickhead like Zebo.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

francoisfou wrote:
septic 9 wrote:
Russell will be lucky to go on tour
You cannot be serious! Sexton is way over the hill now, although Owen Farrell is more or less certain of his ticket. Sadly, the whining Biggar will probably make it too but neither of them offers what Russell does. But going back to my first point, will Townsend pick him?
you asked if Townsend and Russell had kissed and made up, and were told yes, weeks ago. It was all over the media. And yes, Townsend will pick him; he will also pick Hastings and may well mix and match given the schedule.

Russell is an outrageous talent, yesterday not just the talent (which was all in the execution) but some more maturity. That chip was not off the cuff, it was pre planned (used before for Vakatawa), the maturity was not trying it earlier but waiting for the moment to call it. That said while Russell Started well, is brave in defence and made some very astute kicks -another string to his bow he always had if not always used or recognised , he has really developed it. But in between he still tried to force things when not on, made some really poor decisions and created unnecessary pressure on his own side.
The great thing is an error never gets to him, he moves on to the next play. But in terms of lions its why I have my doubts Gatland will pick him. Its rare indeed to see the more limited talents of Farrell and Bigger makes those sort of unforced errors, and that is what Gatland's coaching and tactics are all about. All pressure, few errors, lots of kick chase.

As to Sexton. I know he's done, you know he's done, deep down I suspect even the petulant Jonny-no-mates knows he's done. But Gatland? He's still thinking about calling up Shane Williams. Again
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

septic 9 wrote:
francoisfou wrote:
septic 9 wrote: Russell will be lucky to go on tour
you asked if Townsend and Russell had kissed and made up, and were told yes, weeks ago. It was all over the media. And yes, Townsend will pick him; he will also pick Hastings and may well mix and match given the schedule.

Russell is an outrageous talent, yesterday not just the talent (which was all in the execution) but some more maturity. That chip was not off the cuff, it was pre planned (used before for Vakatawa), the maturity was not trying it earlier but waiting for the moment to call it. That said while Russell Started well, is brave in defence and made some very astute kicks -another string to his bow he always had if not always used or recognised , he has really developed it. But in between he still tried to force things when not on, made some really poor decisions and created unnecessary pressure on his own side.
The great thing is an error never gets to him, he moves on to the next play. But in terms of lions its why I have my doubts Gatland will pick him. Its rare indeed to see the more limited talents of Farrell and Bigger makes those sort of unforced errors, and that is what Gatland's coaching and tactics are all about. All pressure, few errors, lots of kick chase.

As to Sexton. I know he's done, you know he's done, deep down I suspect even the petulant Jonny-no-mates knows he's done. But Gatland? He's still thinking about calling up Shane Williams. Again
Ah, wasn’t aware of that. Thanks. I get your point about minimizing errors but will Farrell / Biggar have what it takes to go that bit further and win a Test match in SA?
Last edited by francoisfou on Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Mwenda

Post by Mr Mwenda »

With combos and game time together at a premium, that always works against the Scottish lions. But with Hogg and maybe a couple of others snuck in(?) maybe that'll work in Russell's favour. You'd think he'll be in the squad anyway.
Big D

Post by Big D »

hugh_woatmeigh wrote:They've made up as already pointed out but I still back Gregor over this - no player can be bigger than the team. Finn could do with a wise old head of a pal to better advise him off the pitch rather than a dickhead like Zebo.
I don't think it is as simple as that. There was an undercurrent of ill feeling between the two and if it was just that one thing he'd have missed a game and been straight back in.

For that one incident Finn was in the wrong, for the complete breakdown between them Townsend needs to take his fair share of the blame.
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

Whatever the share of the responsibility is, the greater good of the Scottish XV is at stake, and if Russell still has aspirations of playing for his country and Townsend wants his team to perform to the best of their ability - and beyond, then Russell simply has to be the starting 10, or at the very least in the matchday squad.