All Blacks v Wales I: The Impregnable Fortress?

Moderator: morepork

zer0

Re: All Blacks v Wales I: The Impregnable Fortress?

Post by zer0 »

morepork wrote:They have both fluffed some core things on defense. How smoothe is Ben Smith though? If Cruden can kick, he too can be a smoothie.
Smooth like the diligently filed accounting spreadsheets he maintains down in the accounts department.
cashead

Post by cashead »

zer0 wrote:Savea and Naholo hardly making a compelling case for a return to having two strike wingers. Quite the opposite for mine.
Naholo's been a tad too error-prone. Savea's also been lacking in work ethic tonight as well, despite the try earlier.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Shame on you, sweet Nerevar
zer0

Post by zer0 »

Seriously though. I don't think it'll be long until Barrett takes the field, with B.Smith moving in to plug the leak on the right wing.
morepork

Post by morepork »

zer0 wrote:
morepork wrote:They have both fluffed some core things on defense. How smoothe is Ben Smith though? If Cruden can kick, he too can be a smoothie.
Smooth like the diligently filed accounting spreadsheets he maintains down in the accounts department.

Yeah smooth like a sheet of freshly minted A4.
Doorzetbornandbred

Post by Doorzetbornandbred »

AB's not looking comfortable with breakdowns being contested.
cashead

Post by cashead »

The Welsh are really good at slowing the ball down at the ruck, and it's really impacting on Aaron Smith's effectiveness when clearing the ball. Jenkins also probably should have been pinged for basically sitting down for a nice cup of tea on the wrong side of the ruck just now as well.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
cashead

Post by cashead »

Don't worry lads, I think Cruden's got this one.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
morepork

Post by morepork »

Doorzetbornandbred wrote:AB's not looking comfortable with breakdowns being contested.

Absolutely.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Have not been following SH rugby too much since the RWC due to time constraints but what on earth is happening here. Just some teething problems after the loss of so many of the golden generation?

Wales do look well up for this to be fair. Suspect the kiwis will end up pipping them by a small margin.
cashead

Post by cashead »

hugh_woatmeigh wrote:Have not been following SH rugby too much since the RWC due to time constraints but what on earth is happening here. Just some teething problems after the loss of so many of the golden generation?

Wales do look well up for this to be fair. Suspect the kiwis will end up pipping them by a small margin.
Bit of rust, and probably a bit of teething problems from losing Smith, Nonu and McCaw, while also desperately missing Whitelock in the second row.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

cashead wrote:
hugh_woatmeigh wrote:Have not been following SH rugby too much since the RWC due to time constraints but what on earth is happening here. Just some teething problems after the loss of so many of the golden generation?

Bit of rust, and probably a bit of teething problems from losing Smith, Nonu and McCaw, while also desperately missing Whitelock in the second row.
You've always been able to manage without one or two but all of them... It's showing. Definitely lacking leadership without a lot of those experienced guys as well.
cashead

Post by cashead »

hugh_woatmeigh wrote:
cashead wrote:

You've always been able to manage without one or two but all of them... It's showing. Definitely lacking leadership without a lot of those experienced guys as well.
Read going quiet in the line-out about 10 minutes ago, which probably nearly cost the ABs a free kick (or whatever it is now when a team balks at throwing in the line-out) was rather telling.

Cardiff was the best thing to happen to McCaw as a captain, and I think Read needs something like that to reflect on and grow from as a captain.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
cashead

Post by cashead »

Also, I think Gatland finally noticed that Cuthbert was shit and stopped putting him in at 11.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
morepork

Post by morepork »

Barnes you thundercunt.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

That is odd... Not sure I agree with that at all, the evidence was not conclusive.
zer0

Post by zer0 »

Wayne must be missing the good ol' days of the 2007.
cashead

Post by cashead »

It clearly left the passer's hands in the correct direction. Barnes fucked up, plain and simple.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
morepork

Post by morepork »

Nosferatu has fantastic presence of mind with the ball in hand.
morepork

Post by morepork »

Northern hemisphere commentators struggling with seeing forwards passing a ball competently...
Len

Post by Len »

Was reading a live feed. Sounds like the Wales played some footy for once and the ABs are missing the old boys in defense. Still a win by a good margin.

Hansen will be telling the new boys to step up or step out soon I'd say. Our midfield stocks need SBW and Ranger back IMO
morepork

Post by morepork »

Len wrote:Was reading a love feed. Sounds like the Wales played some footy for once and the ABs are missing the old boys in defense. Still a win by a good margin.

Some of the first up tackling was schoolboy bad. Savea and Noholo particularly. Made North look good.
zer0

Post by zer0 »

While they'll probably give them another go next week under the guise of 'letting them redeem themselves', I hope we're nearing the end of playing both Savea & Naholo on the wings. It's one or the other, with a much more well-rounded player on the right wing.
Spy

All Blacks v Wales I: The Impregnable Fortress?

Post by Spy »

Plenty for us to work on after that. Missed far too many first up tackles, and were pretty wacky around the breakdown. Some class rugby from both teams at times, but it was a classic rusty first test performance from the All Blacks.

Although McCaw and Carter are once in a generation players, I think we'll miss the Nonu/Smith midfield axis the most. Agree with Zero about the balance of the back 3 too.
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

Wales did well and took opportunities by giving things a go they might previously have dealt with more conservatively.

But clearly the All Blacks were holding something back in the first half. For instance, I don't recall a single long kick from deep behind a set piece.

You can't argue with a 24-3 second half.
Len

Post by Len »

Just seen that pass for the disallowed try. Thats filthy from Barnes. Useless cnut. The ball is parallel with the camera the whole time.

He needs bigger shorts too. And not to skip leg day. And to get some sun on his legs. Twat