Good TV Shows

Son of Mathonwy

Re: Good TV Shows

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Mikey Brown wrote:I loved the first series of Twin Peaks then was thrown off by the second series being about 40 episodes. Does it maintain that quality? I've also heard the third series is great but would obviously be pointless until I've seen the second, and possibly the film?
I think the 2nd season is 22 episodes. Arguably it's not quite up to the standard of the first, but it's still essential viewing. The story continues directly from the end of the 1st, so just keep on watching I say.

The film I think you can miss out completely - despite the fact that's it supposedly explains (if anything can) how the first season begins. It's largely lacking in humour and so is very, very dark. Perhaps worth watching for the explanation-defying Bowie scene, but in general not enough FBI action for me.
cashead

Post by cashead »

The arc where James Hurley is riding around and wandering into soap operas sucks shit, but it does sort itself out.

Can't recommend JoJo's Bizarre Adventure enough - unreasonably buff men, striking fabulous poses, homoeroticism, graphic violence, all the good stuff. There are big chunks of Part II, Battle Tendency, that are completely indefensible though.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Shame on you, sweet Nerevar
Son of Mathonwy

cashead wrote:The arc where James Hurley is riding around and wandering into soap operas sucks shit, but it does sort itself out.

Can't recommend JoJo's Bizarre Adventure enough - unreasonably buff men, striking fabulous poses, homoeroticism, graphic violence, all the good stuff. There are big chunks of Part II, Battle Tendency, that are completely indefensible though.
Yeah, James is a bit of a vacuum wandering through the series from start to finish, but nothing's perfect.

JoJo's is insane. Infeasibly dastardly villain "It was me, Dio!!" Dio Brando, implausible cockney and walking rock tribute "Stone the crows, I like the cut of his jib" Robert E. O. Speedwagon, and totally bizarre on so many levels "Your next line is…"Joseph Joestar.

Not as good an anime as Hunter x Hunter though, which is genuinely good TV (in a non-ironic sense).
Son of Mathonwy

The fourth and final season of the anime Attack on Titan continues with its bizarre world-expanding revelations, which explain (fairly well) the mysteries of the earlier seasons.

Plenty of over-the-top heroics and histrionics, as to be expected, but this gory work has a genuinely novel concept.
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

Did watchmen series get reviewed on here - thought it was awful still with one episode to go that i cannot face
Son of Mathonwy

paddy no 11 wrote:Did watchmen series get reviewed on here - thought it was awful still with one episode to go that i cannot face
I said something about it (a bit more positive) back in January.
Eugene Wrayburn

Post by Eugene Wrayburn »

I loved Watchmen. And Lovecraft country if it hasn't already been mentioned. So unusual to see big budget black centred drama, let alone fantasy/scifi.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

NS. Gone but not forgotten.
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

Thought it was tedious in the extreme
Son of Mathonwy

Just finished the first season of The Terror. Really good, great cast, setting, grim and ominous tone throughout. It wound up being a little less of a supernatural horror than I first expected, but a great watch. It's an adaptation of a Dan Simmons novel (which I haven't read).
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Watched Raised by Wolves. Started off pretty entertaining, despite being total nonsense, but found it faded continually as the season went on. I think the opening titles kept me coming back, and there were loads of cool ideas scattered around in there, but there's some really atrocious child actors in it and I just didn't end up invested in anybody.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Mikey Brown wrote:Watched Raised by Wolves. Started off pretty entertaining, despite being total nonsense, but found it faded continually as the season went on. I think the opening titles kept me coming back, and there were loads of cool ideas scattered around in there, but there's some really atrocious child actors in it and I just didn't end up invested in anybody.
I don't think I managed to finish it - I really should have loved it, but I just didn't care
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Enjoying the final series of Spiral.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Treme is really, really great. I didn't think they'd be able to follow up The Wire with something of the same quality but it is pretty incredible. The fallout from Katrina, the music and culture of new Orleans, the corruption and bureaucracy behind all of it. It's just fantastic. Though if funk/soul/blues/jazz grates on you at all just don't bother.
OnlyMonikerRemaining

Post by OnlyMonikerRemaining »

Not read this thread for a while so sorry if repeating. A friend recommended This is Us to me and I am loving it so far. Difficult to describe without giving it all away but it is both funny and sad, great acting and characters. I’m still on series 1 of 5. Amazon Prime. The first episode takes about 20 mins to get going but I was hooked after that so keep at it.
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

Is that lad a bof or what?
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Season 3 of American Gods is well under way.

I caught the first episode the other day and not much made sense...then I remembered that I still hadn't seen season 2!

Then decided to watch season 1 again and it was amazing how much I had forgotten.

Up to date now and I think it's still holding its own. Rich in imagery and symbolism. Some great characters (props to Mad Sweeney), although seeing Shadow Moon's perplexed face so often is wearing a bit thin. Considering what the character has gone through and seen, why the fack does he keep getting so surprised?! :D

Also pretty impressed with Wanda Vision. Let me point out that I'm not a Marvel fan although have watched a few of the films with my lad who is very keen on the whole MCU (did I do that right...always confuse it with the MCC and it's just not cricket is it?)

Anyway, thought what I have seen so far has been very good.
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

WaspInWales wrote:Season 3 of American Gods is well under way.

I caught the first episode the other day and not much made sense...then I remembered that I still hadn't seen season 2!

Then decided to watch season 1 again and it was amazing how much I had forgotten.

Up to date now and I think it's still holding its own. Rich in imagery and symbolism. Some great characters (props to Mad Sweeney), although seeing Shadow Moon's perplexed face so often is wearing a bit thin. Considering what the character has gone through and seen, why the fack does he keep getting so surprised?! :D

Also pretty impressed with Wanda Vision. Let me point out that I'm not a Marvel fan although have watched a few of the films with my lad who is very keen on the whole MCU (did I do that right...always confuse it with the MCC and it's just not cricket is it?)

Anyway, thought what I have seen so far has been very good.
Loved season 1 hadn't realised 2 is available will try jump back in
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

Zero zero zero

Very good effort from the same people who done gomorrah

There's a few flaws like gomorrah and over extends itself but still a solid 8/10
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

Anyone watching the terror?
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

paddy no 11 wrote:Zero zero zero

Very good effort from the same people who done gomorrah

There's a few flaws like gomorrah and over extends itself but still a solid 8/10
How far in before you came to that opinion?

I watched the first episode and it was very slickly produced but felt incredibly self indulgent. I like the 3 advertised leads but did find the characters in the other sections (I'm sure they come together soon enough) much more interesting based on this episode. The overbearing, emotional piano music (which they used about 15 times in the one episode) when old man Gabriel Byrne (whom we know little of except he's a bit of a tosser) falls on the floor at the end, I just didn't get at all.
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

The end of it, I liked it but it's far from perfect, some of the stuff in north Africa was extending themselves too far

The female lead is a great actress
Son of Mathonwy

paddy no 11 wrote:Anyone watching the terror?
Yes (well I've watched it all). Really enjoyed it. The story didn't go as I'd expected towards the end but it's a classy piece of television.
Son of Mathonwy

Anyone watching Resident Alien on Sky One? It's a fairly lightweight but surprisingly enjoyable black comedy about a marooned alien forced to impersonate a human while he attempts to complete his mission.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Son of Mathonwy wrote:Anyone watching Resident Alien on Sky One? It's a fairly lightweight but surprisingly enjoyable black comedy about a marooned alien forced to impersonate a human while he attempts to complete his mission.
Got it all recorded :) sounds like a good watch. Anything with Steve the Pirate in has to be worth it :lol:
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

Son of Mathonwy wrote:
paddy no 11 wrote:Anyone watching the terror?
Yes (well I've watched it all). Really enjoyed it. The story didn't go as I'd expected towards the end but it's a classy piece of television.
Well made but the Inuit storyline was terrible think it was a lost opportunity really