The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Moderator: OptimisticJock

Big D

Re: The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Post by Big D »

septic 9 wrote:Tommy Seymour announced his retiral from rugby today. One of the very best. As we've seen this season, you don't know what you've got to its gone
Yup, he can be rightfully very proud of his career.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Big D wrote:
septic 9 wrote:Tommy Seymour announced his retiral from rugby today. One of the very best. As we've seen this season, you don't know what you've got to its gone
Yup, he can be rightfully very proud of his career.
A player that made the most of what he had. I remember him joining as a project that couldn't crack the Ulster first 15 but had some tools. By the end his rugby nous was compensating for the loss of that top end speed and the general increase in size of winger that meant that his power was no longer a standout attribute. The sort of player you'd want in your squad no matter who you are. Sad that his last year sort of fizzled out due to health concerns.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Yeah. A shame he didn't get to go out on his terms. He was class.
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

It has been with an air of resignation regarding Glasgow’s Rainbow Cup prospects that I have been reading how the rugby cognoscenti think Munster are on fire. However, it appears I have got the wrong end of the stick.

https://www.news24.com/sport/rugby/spri ... t-20210607
Puja

Post by Puja »

General Zod wrote:It has been with an air of resignation regarding Glasgow’s Rainbow Cup prospects that I have been reading how the rugby cognoscenti think Munster are on fire. However, it appears I have got the wrong end of the stick.

Someone had the bright idea of using petrol to make the fire catch light, didn't they?

Puja
Backist Monk
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

General Zod wrote:It has been with an air of resignation regarding Glasgow’s Rainbow Cup prospects that I have been reading how the rugby cognoscenti think Munster are on fire. However, it appears I have got the wrong end of the stick.

bit worse than carpet burns, so shouldn't be in this thread :?

Unlike the fire, someone there wasn't too bright
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

septic 9 wrote:

The way I read the initial story was that they were all burnt but nothing serious. Have since read that 2 of them are a bit more serious - should say that I hope they’re ok.

Also, surprised Lee Jones is leaving Glasgow - thought he might stay another year or so until the end of the next RWC season. Good luck to him.
Puja

Post by Puja »

General Zod wrote:
septic 9 wrote:

The way I read the initial story was that they were all burnt but nothing serious. Have since read that 2 of them are a bit more serious - should say that I hope they’re ok.

Also, surprised Lee Jones is leaving Glasgow - thought he might stay another year or so until the end of the next RWC season. Good luck to him.
Now confirmed as one of them being an idiot with a petrol can: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/57387445

Very lucky it wasn't worse, all things considered.

Puja
Backist Monk
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

New attack coach from Connacht. Seems to be highly regarded.

This article is very encouraging - https://www.the42.ie/nigel-carolan-conn ... 1-May2021/
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

McCallum picks up a "short term" contract with Glasgow. Maybe a bit of cover if Faegerson gets some post tour time off, though obviously going to be behind Berghan again. It will be interesting to see if he can get some game time in a new environment.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Bruce Flockhart has retired - https://www.glasgowwarriors.org/news/fl ... from-rugby.

Sad for him and he had real potential. Good to see how much support he has had from the club though.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Kenny Murray bigging up Ally Miller but also (similarly to Blair) emphasising the importance of the Super6 - as well as how it can improve.

https://www.theoffsideline.com/glasgow- ... ly-miller/
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Team for the Ulster game is out. Looks quite decent, especially if you add the faegersons, price and miller in, when available. No idea about that front row though.

Thoughts on Weir starting ahead of Thompson? What's happening with McDowall? He's not on the injury report.

1. Brad Thyer (0)
2. Johnny Matthews (12)
3. Simon Berghan (0)
4. Scott Cummings (78)
5. Richie Gray (61)
6. Ryan Wilson (C) (192)
7. Rory Darge (4)
8. Jack Dempsey (0)

9. George Horne (66)
10. Duncan Weir
11. Rufus McLean
12. Sam Johnson (72)
13. Sione Tuipulotu (0)
14. Kyle Steyn (31)
15. Cole Forbes (6)

16. Fraser Brown (109)
17. Jamie Bhatti (47)
18. Murray McCallum (0)
19. Lewis Bean (5)
20. Rob Harley (252)
21. Jamie Dobie (19)
22. Ross Thompson (13)
23. Ollie Smith (7)
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

I was hopeful Thompson would start the season as number one but want Wilson to pick on merit both in games and training so no complaints if he thinks Weir is the better option. Not a huge amount of room for Miotti when he comes in.

Think McDowall started 15 last week but hope he doesn't drift. It wasn't that long ago he was one of Scotland's brightest prospects.

On paper the sub front row looks better than the starting one but we will see.

A win against Ulster first up would be huge.
Big D

Post by Big D »

That was pathetic by Brown there. Stood up wandered into a tackle then threw the ball away.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Lots of.positives for Glasgow but quite a few irritating errors.
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

I fvcking love rugby!
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Big D wrote:Lots of.positives for Glasgow but quite a few irritating errors.
yep, too many errors, lack of composure at times, but still unlucky not to win. Asleep at start of both halfs really cost the game. Missed tackles 1st half, Gray failing to catch the ko 2nd half, both put Glasgow under early pressure and conceded from them.

Still positives, 2 pts at Ravenhill in the opening game not the worst result. And the team looked to play to the sum of its parts, looked well coached and definitely up for it.
Unlike previous Glasgow teams which were full of "star" name game changers, there are none in this team, so team effort has to be the thing.
Darge is the only real "star" in that team. And he is going to be some player. I think he is already.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Big day for McCallum tomorrow. Gets a start at tighthead with two big locks and a large backrow behind him and a youngster on the bench. Might have to try watch it.

I wonder where McDowall will come on.

1. Jamie Bhatti (48)
2. Fraser Brown (110)
3. Murray McCallum (1)
4. Richie Gray (62)
5. Scott Cummings (79)
6. Ryan Wilson (193)
7. Thomas Gordon (37)
8. Jack Dempsey (1)

9. George Horne (67)
10. Ross Thompson (14)
11. Rufus McLean (10)
12. Sam Johnson (73)
13. Sione Tuipolotu (1)
14. Kyle Steyn (32)
15. Cole Forbes (7)

Replacements

16. George Turner (62)
17. Brad Thyer (1)
18. Murphy Walker (0)
19. Lewis Bean (6)
20. Ally Miller (0)
21. Jamie Dobie (20)
22. Pete Horne (181)
23. Stafford McDowall (28)
whatisthejava

Post by whatisthejava »

Finally getting to watch both teams play.

Unless the SA teams really up thiervmomentum both teams should be looking for 5 points
whatisthejava

Post by whatisthejava »

Glasgow scrapped the win, worked very hard and should have been gone after the first 20 mins.

Weather didn’t help
whatisthejava

Post by whatisthejava »

Their scrum was mince though (or so it appeared) bahti seemed to be pinged a lot and then the week got marched back several times. Some poor decisions really made it a much closer game than it should have been
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

What’s the deal with Dempsey? Hadn’t heard his name before. A few errors in the brief highlights I watched, but certainly looks the shape of a ball carrying 8. Is he a prospect?
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

whatisthejava wrote:Their scrum was mince though (or so it appeared) bahti seemed to be pinged a lot and then the week got marched back several times. Some poor decisions really made it a much closer game than it should have been
only remember him being marched back once. Once too often even allowing for some - loads - of guessing at the scrums by the ref.

Thought first half scrum was ok. Under pressure after HT. Lions took off the geriatric Du Plessis and put on the unfit looking Carlu Sadie. IIRC he is the guy who came on for them against the B&I Lions and destroyed that scrum as well. Proper scrummaging prop. That and R Gray never pushes his weight.

Agree about poor decisions - manic offloads to no-one was like watching early Rennie teams for Glasgow. Some composure and game would have been sealed by half time
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Mikey Brown wrote:What’s the deal with Dempsey? Hadn’t heard his name before. A few errors in the brief highlights I watched, but certainly looks the shape of a ball carrying 8. Is he a prospect?
summer signing from Tahs (I think). He has a double figures of Aussie caps, otherwise I think could have been SQ from a grandparent.

He isn't huge but has good feet and pace. Looks promising for Warriors and will be available all season, but at 27 prospect maybe not the right description. watched a bit after his signing was announced, was not impressed. OTOH have been impressed last 2 games!