paddy no 11

Re: Good TV Shows

Post by paddy no 11 »

Mare of eastown is brutal 2/10
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

paddy no 11 wrote:Mare of eastown is brutal 2/10
Wasn't planning to watch it but how is it so bad?
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Son of Mathonwy wrote:
Wasn't planning to watch it but how is it so bad?
I thought it was very good, give it a go.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

It does feel totally pointless trying to create new small-town, murder dramas at this point. This one feels particularly unimaginative. Like it’s been created with a paint-by-numbers prestige TV kit. With whole themes, characters, settings etc. just pasted from Sharp Objects, True detective 3, Broadchurch etc. And even those were borrowing heavily from everything before. Saying that, it could be based on a book written 50 years ago for all I know.

I get why Kate Winslet wants to do something different as an actor, but it’s incredibly distracting trying to believe her as this character.

Despite all that I kept watching past the first 2 and it did seem to get a bit better.
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

Mikey Brown wrote:
It does feel totally pointless trying to create new small-town, murder dramas at this point. This one feels particularly unimaginative. Like it’s been created with a paint-by-numbers prestige TV kit. With whole themes, characters, settings etc. just pasted from Sharp Objects, True detective 3, Broadchurch etc. And even those were borrowing heavily from everything before. Saying that, it could be based on a book written 50 years ago for all I know.

I get why Kate Winslet wants to do something different as an actor, but it’s incredibly distracting trying to believe her as this character.

Despite all that I kept watching past the first 2 and it did seem to get a bit better.
Its also taken heavily from the killing where the hero female lead is surrounded by weak/ incompetent / evil men - take your pick

Her husband lives in her backyard apparently ruining her life no explanation as to why he lives there etc

Son kills himself, dad dead presumably all useless

The last episode is just preposterous - the bath scene ffs
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Finished it off tonight. Jesus Christ that was fucking shite. Why haven’t I got better things to do with my time?
Digby

Post by Digby »

I've long been a fan of the You Tube show Hot Ones and its variant on the idea of Desert Islands Discs, and I'll mention this latest because I know a number here are fans of Malcolm Gladwell. The format works a little better when the guest doesn't take such little nibbles but even allowing for him wussing out there are some interesting observations

Which Tyler

Re: RE: Re: Good TV Shows

Post by Which Tyler »

Banquo wrote:
Which Tyler wrote:Sex Education - so inappropriate
Funny, but I can't get my head around there being a huge American high school in the Forest of Dean, when I know that the 2 towns acting as locations have a total population about the same size as the student population of the campus used (local knowledge really doesn't help the suspesion of disbelief). No problem with the 80s setting, but it being american (except for the accents and rugby balls instead of USfootballs) just seems weird to me, and keeps pulling me out.
Very funny and yes inappropriate; I do think the setting is deliberately off-kilter to avoid pigeon-holing time or place'. Even whackier when the actress who plays Maeve is actually French.

https://e-activist.com/page/70936/petition/1
Girls As Young As 10 Are Harassed, Followed and Touched – And It’s Not A Crime. Add Your Name if You Agree Public Sexual Harassment Should Be Illegal.
In parks, university campuses, bus stops and high streets, girls across the UK are facing harassment every day. They’re being followed, shouted at, touched, groped and grabbed – and they want it to stop.

Girls are staying in, missing school, carrying keys between their fingers and avoiding exercise – all to shield themselves from the constant tide of public sexual harassment.

Harassment of girls is going unreported and unpunished: it’s time to make it a crime. That’s why we’re standing with sisters Gemma and Maya, from Our Streets Now, who are campaigning to make public sexual harassment a criminal offence.

Let's make this the generation to end the harassment of girls in public. Add your name now to join the #CrimeNotCompliment campaign.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Just watched the Virtues. Christ that was something wasn't it.

Reading about how much Shane Meadows had drawn from his own experience and childhood really adds another layer of horror.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Really embarrassed to have succumbed to the hype and watch Squid game. Jesus christ that was so unbelievably terrible. I kept watching, thinking surely this must get better? Surely this must go somewhere? I fell for it. Netflix won. Absolute garbage. 0/10.
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Just finished series 3 of Succession. While it doesn't, can't, live up to series 1 it's still good TV, although have to say the series as a whole was rescued by the finale. Had that last show been anything other than what it was, you'd be fuming at the writers taking the piss, but the intensity of the last episode just about made up for the vacuousness of the rest of them.

Someone needs to tell the writers that "snappy dialogue" doesn't mean impenetrable bullshit.

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk
It was so much easier to blame Them. It was bleakly depressing to think They were Us. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Also about half way thru 9 Perfect Strangers, which is a weird show that I can't think I've seen anything like it before. Nothing much really happens,but it's intriguing and beguiling and keeps you hooked in.

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk
It was so much easier to blame Them. It was bleakly depressing to think They were Us. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
zer0

Post by zer0 »

The Witcher series on Netflix is shite. Which is quite an achievement given they were gifted strong source material from the books and further material, and excellent costume designs, from the games. Instead it's bland costumes, wacky casting, chaotic timelines and many, many stupid changes to the plot and/or characters -- both large and small.

Henry Cavill, the guy playing Dandelion/Jaskier, and Ciri would be the exceptions to this.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

The Great
I'm loving it, and it seems that the actors are too
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

zer0 wrote:The Witcher series on Netflix is shite. Which is quite an achievement given they were gifted strong source material from the books and further material, and excellent costume designs, from the games. Instead it's bland costumes, wacky casting, chaotic timelines and many, many stupid changes to the plot and/or characters -- both large and small.

Henry Cavill, the guy playing Dandelion/Jaskier, and Ciri would be the exceptions to this.
Is it just that everything Netflix have control over is awful? Strict formulas for success and creativity by mass committee.
Son of Mathonwy

Enjoying Dexter: New Blood. It's just a little bit far-fetched, particularly the coincidences that occur in episode 1, but if you can accept that it's good fun. This is a well-timed revival for me since I only got round to watching the later seasons of Dexter in the last couple of years, so the hiatus has only been about 1 year for me.
Son of Mathonwy

Enjoying some great shows with the kids: Gravity Falls, The Owl House and Amphibia. Oh, and Adventure Time: Distant Lands, of course.

Gravity Falls is extremely well put together and, well, Adventure Time is simply a timeless work of genius.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Son of Mathonwy wrote:Enjoying Dexter: New Blood. It's just a little bit far-fetched, particularly the coincidences that occur in episode 1, but if you can accept that it's good fun. This is a well-timed revival for me since I only got round to watching the later seasons of Dexter in the last couple of years, so the hiatus has only been about 1 year for me.
I'm quite enjoying this, I would be enjoying it a lot more if ghost of Deb wasn't in it, The Kurgan from Highlander is proving a worthy adversary.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Dexter is one of those shows I’m utterly ashamed to have actually kept watching. It really was dreadful (but somehow very watchable) for a long, long time after some promising early episodes.

My memory of the ending is not great but I’m very confused how a sequel is even possible with the same character. Does this get explained?
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Mikey Brown wrote:Dexter is one of those shows I’m utterly ashamed to have actually kept watching. It really was dreadful (but somehow very watchable) for a long, long time after some promising early episodes.

My memory of the ending is not great but I’m very confused how a sequel is even possible with the same character. Does this get explained?
Well I'm not sure as I stopped watching the original series when he started sleeping with Deb, in the new series he has changed his identity if that's a clue?
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

Mikey Brown wrote:Really embarrassed to have succumbed to the hype and watch Squid game. Jesus christ that was so unbelievably terrible. I kept watching, thinking surely this must get better? Surely this must go somewhere? I fell for it. Netflix won. Absolute garbage. 0/10.
I got out on episode 3 thank fuck
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

I enjoyed The Tourist, enjoyable fun.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Numbers wrote:I enjoyed The Tourist, enjoyable fun.
Me too. Though probably the Australian Tourist Board not impressed. Surprisingly Jamie Dornan was excellent, as were the rest of the cast.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Dopesick on Star is excellent so far, I've watched about 4 episodes, it's about the opiod crisis and seen from the different angles, from the gluttunous pharma company to the doctors they hoodwinked to the impact on the communities and also the start to finish of the legal process, I can't recommend it enough.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Numbers wrote:Dopesick on Star is excellent so far, I've watched about 4 episodes, it's about the opiod crisis and seen from the different angles, from the gluttunous pharma company to the doctors they hoodwinked to the impact on the communities and also the start to finish of the legal process, I can't recommend it enough.
That sounds like heavy going? Or is that lighter than it sounds? It's a terrible name for a show but that's an interesting premise.

Just started Mindhunter and oh my god it's really very good. Not sure why I waited this long. I assumed all 'cop shows' were just terrible now.