Mikey Brown

Re: The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Post by Mikey Brown »

Well that was something!
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Sigh.

La Rochelle were comfortably the better team but Glasgow had a real chance there. They just don't look that sharp in the backs, and struggled with La Rochelle at the breakdown too.

Thought Horne looked a bit sharper again on the plus side.
Big D

Post by Big D »

With that Montpellier try, Glasgow get what their last two performances deserve.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Cameo wrote:Sigh.

La Rochelle were comfortably the better team but Glasgow had a real chance there. They just don't look that sharp in the backs, and struggled with La Rochelle at the breakdown too.

Thought Horne looked a bit sharper again on the plus side.
Weegies getting a load of flak for that performance, not all balanced or fair IMHO.

Breakdown was a mess, odd interpretation that allowed sealing off and side entry but Glasgow didn't adapt.
Under big pressure early on, especially after that very early YC, but defended it well. So many lineouts inside 10m means bound to concede against that pack, and the pens at the breakdown meant they got too many easy incursions. Another day, another ref, a different approach to the breakdown, maybe a different outcome.

But Glasgow lost the game, La Rochelle didn't win it. And lost it on individual errors, not team errors.
A poor tackle attempt, and half a dozen wild passes - 3 tries IIRC were breakaways from positions where Glasgow should have been in position to score. Just no composure

Thomson needs to be rested for a while. The promise is still there, and the goal kicking, but bar that excellent break for McKay's try, he was very poor, again. Sam J didn't seem to make any impact. Price not so good, so much pressure on him in this team now I think its telling

what was interesting but not entirely surprising was how much on top Glasgow were in the set scrum, Needed more of them earlier
Soapy

Post by Soapy »

septic 9 wrote:
Weegies getting a load of flak for that performance, not all balanced or fair IMHO.

Breakdown was a mess, odd interpretation that allowed sealing off and side entry but Glasgow didn't adapt.
Under big pressure early on, especially after that very early YC, but defended it well. So many lineouts inside 10m means bound to concede against that pack, and the pens at the breakdown meant they got too many easy incursions. Another day, another ref, a different approach to the breakdown, maybe a different outcome.

But Glasgow lost the game, La Rochelle didn't win it. And lost it on individual errors, not team errors.
A poor tackle attempt, and half a dozen wild passes - 3 tries IIRC were breakaways from positions where Glasgow should have been in position to score. Just no composure

Thomson needs to be rested for a while. The promise is still there, and the goal kicking, but bar that excellent break for McKay's try, he was very poor, again. Sam J didn't seem to make any impact. Price not so good, so much pressure on him in this team now I think its telling

what was interesting but not entirely surprising was how much on top Glasgow were in the set scrum, Needed more of them earlier
Thomson has been over-played and he is looking worn out. Weir really needs to start for the next couple of weeks to give Thomson a break and a chance to be what he is - a talented player still with much to learn.

Saturday's game was particularly frustrating. Whilst not necessarily deserving to Glasgow could have readily won the game but once again composure and leadership went missing when really needed.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

There is also Miotti - may be a chance to give him a go.

I think with Thompson, he has never been that flash (so it was good to see his break) but his distribution has always looked pretty crisp. That has gone off a little recently whether because he is jaded or trying to hard or just out of form. No harm in just enjoying training for a couple of weeks.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Ollie Smith getting a rare start. He was the youngster I was most excited about last year but didn't quite work out for him. Hopefully can come out firing this time as the competition at fullback is now strong.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Cameo wrote:Ollie Smith getting a rare start. He was the youngster I was most excited about last year but didn't quite work out for him. Hopefully can come out firing this time as the competition at fullback is now strong.
he got caught trying to run a ball back after a period of kick tennis. Only man back.
Other than that he was very impressive, looks a bit bulkier - oddly looked taller than I remembered ! - but just as quick and beat a few players, made over 100m. Kicking looked more likely to connect than McKay as well. There is competition for FB and Smith is part of it. Ahead of Forbes for me, a few more displays like this and he'll push McKay very hard
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Yeah I really liked the look of him. Not seen much before that 2 try cameo the other week.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Pretty strong looking team for Glasgow given it's Six Nations time. Glad to see Ollie Smith starting again.

Glasgow Warriors team to face Munster at Scotstoun, Friday 11 February, kick-off 8.15pm, live on Premier Sports 1. You can also follow all the action as it happens in our Live Match Centre at glasgowwarriors.org.

1. Oli Kebble (67)
2. Fraser Brown (117) (C)
3. Simon Berghan (3)
4. Scott Cummings (85)
5. Richie Gray (72)
6 Ryan Wilson (202) (C)
7. Thomas Gordon (43)
8. Jack Dempsey (11)

9. George Horne (76)
10. Duncan Weir (117)
11. Rufus McLean (17)
12. Sam Johnson (83)
13. Robbie Fergusson (12)
14. Sebastian Cancelliere (4)
15. Ollie Smith (11)

Replacements

16. Johnny Matthews (20)
17. Nathan McBeth (2)
18. Enrique Pieretto (28)
19. Kiran McDonald (44)
20. Ally Miller (4)
21. Jamie Dobie (27)
22. Domingo Miotti (1)
23. Stafford McDowall (31)

Unavailable for selection: Hamish Bain, Rob Harley, Tom Lambert, Josh McKay, Ross Thompson.
Big D

Post by Big D »

What is Brown playing at there? Idiocy.
Big D

Post by Big D »

A hard earned win but Horne needs to watch his mouth. Shouting "this is bullshit" at the ref isn't on.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Big D wrote:A hard earned win but Horne needs to watch his mouth. Shouting "this is bullshit" at the ref isn't on.
not the first time he's mouthed off too much at a ref.

No excuses for that or Brown's gaffe. Will say I thought the ref was generally pretty good, but he got little to bugger all help from his assistants and TMO. Brown spoke to the ref civilly but intently and at length several times about Munster foil play - constant offside at rucks and especially a lot of catching the shirt of Glasgow chasers to hold them back - he won't see them behind him but one ofthe others should, especially after Brown raises it.

Back to the game. Very tense in atrocious conditions. One report |(BBC?) saying Glasgow had the wind against them in the first half. Nonsense. It was diagonal and mainly against, but swirling. 2nd half you could see Munster high kicks holding up last second making the catch very difficult.
A good win against a strong and typically Munster style Munster team more built for the conditions than Glasgow.
Try apart Cummings doing all he could to get back in the Scotland squad, best performance this season. Also big Riche. Both put Munster line out under huge pressure and nicked a couple. 2nd half Richie emerged from a Munster maul, on their side, with the ball to relieve big pressure. I saw/heard someone comparing that to vintage Rob Harley - no idea how he got there, probably iffy law wise, but there you go! :lol:
Big D

Post by Big D »

That maul was top work from Gray. Really good stuff.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Win against Benetton. Only seen the highlights but looked like Ollie Smith had another good game - real power for his try.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Is he ahead of McKay now or has McKay just not been fit?

He looks really classy but I’ve not really seen whether there are big holes in his game? Obviously he’s still got a lot of developing to do. I see he’s listed as a centre primarily? How wrong/out-of-date is that?
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Mikey Brown wrote:Is he ahead of McKay now or has McKay just not been fit?

He looks really classy but I’ve not really seen whether there are big holes in his game? Obviously he’s still got a lot of developing to do. I see he’s listed as a centre primarily? How wrong/out-of-date is that?
I think McKay has been injured. There'll have also been keen to give Smith a go as he was a bit unlucky (a couple of yellows from memory and got run over in the corner in one of the 1872 games).

He has played at 13 and some on the Glasgow forum hope he goes back there (especially if McKay is first choice 15) but I've only ever seen him play 15. Not sure if there are holes in his game but when I have seen him, he picks really good lines and the is a good runner in space. Seems to have bulked up a bit now too.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Cameo wrote:
Mikey Brown wrote:Is he ahead of McKay now or has McKay just not been fit?

I think McKay has been injured. There'll have also been keen to give Smith a go as he was a bit unlucky (a couple of yellows from memory and got run over in the corner in one of the 1872 games).

He has played at 13 and some on the Glasgow forum hope he goes back there (especially if McKay is first choice 15) but I've only ever seen him play 15. Not sure if there are holes in his game but when I have seen him, he picks really good lines and the is a good runner in space. Seems to have bulked up a bit now too.
he has bulked up a bit for this season. Not loads, but enough. He had a nightmare few cameos at the end of last season, bad luck rather than bad play.
He is now a fairly big lad for full back, very quick, good lines run as said, and the standout is how string he is in breaking tackles to get clear or make the extra yards. He dropped a high ball last night which was a concern. Then again he pocketed some others and conditions were poor.
Don't know if he can defend well enough yet at 13, but he could certainly attack there. McKay has been injured and was unavailable for selection last night, I think Smith has a better kicking game and IMHO is now ahead of McKay.
I think Glasgow have found a good un.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

rubbish performance all round last night BTW. Very well organised Benetton defence really proved too difficult for them
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Kiran McDonald signed for Wasps for next season.
Very disappointing for Glasgow. Very. Been their best lock for 2 seasons now
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

septic 9 wrote:Kiran McDonald signed for Wasps for next season.
That's a surprise. If he'd waited a couple of weeks he might have been able to sign as an international (though unlikely).

Wasps isn't a bad move though. Launchbury is often injured or with England, Stooke has improved but has a definite ceiling, Gaskell is winding his career down and Fifita is off for next season. He gets to play with possibly the best backrow in the prem too, to let him concentrate on the nuts and bolts of his game each week.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

switchskier wrote:
septic 9 wrote:Kiran McDonald signed for Wasps for next season.
That's a surprise. If he'd waited a couple of weeks he might have been able to sign as an international (though unlikely).
don't forget signing and signing announcements don't happen at the same time. Timing down to Wasps comms strategy
Big D

Post by Big D »

Rumours is they've signed David Meihuizen. However, it is still daft to let decent second rows go unless they've been offered silly money.
Big D

Post by Big D »

They also have JL Du Preez coming in too.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Big D wrote:Rumours is they've signed David Meihuizen. However, it is still daft to let decent second rows go unless they've been offered silly money.
new rumour or the one from a season or two back?

Neither he nor JP DuPreez can get close to their current teams staring teams, and neither are like McDonald - both are more Richie Gray. Glasgow will need another lock. Bean is a big lump and...............that's it. Bain was a panic signing as well last season, injured most/all of this one and TBH isn't good enough