The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Moderator: OptimisticJock

Big D

Re: The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Post by Big D »

septic 9 wrote:
Big D wrote:Rumours is they've signed David Meihuizen. However, it is still daft to let decent second rows go unless they've been offered silly money.
new rumour or the one from a season or two back?

Neither he nor JP DuPreez can get close to their current teams staring teams, and neither are like McDonald - both are more Richie Gray. Glasgow will need another lock. Bean is a big lump and...............that's it. Bain was a panic signing as well last season, injured most/all of this one and TBH isn't good enough
Possibly a bit of both on Mehuizen. People maybe regurgitating an old rumour.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Don't Glasgow have a couple of promising youngsters in the academy, which is why Sykes was allowed to go to Edinburgh? Brown (I think currently injured) and someone else? Maybe one is expected to step up and de Preez is the backup plan if he can't?
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Don't Glasgow have a couple of promising youngsters in the academy, which is why Sykes was allowed to go to Edinburgh? Brown (I think currently injured) and someone else? Maybe one is expected to step up and de Preez is the backup plan if he can't?
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

switchskier wrote:Don't Glasgow have a couple of promising youngsters in the academy, which is why Sykes was allowed to go to Edinburgh? Brown (I think currently injured) and someone else? Maybe one is expected to step up and de Preez is the backup plan if he can't?
Brown is a back row, basically a 6. And looked very good too until a bad injury. No sign of him back yet. But he isn't big enough to play lock at pro level.
Sykes went to Edinburgh from the Warriors academy, only the SRU can say why. Glasgow were far from rich in locks, Edinburgh were and also rich in back rows - yet that was where the idiot Cockerill saw him, at 6.
Glasgow have Samuels who captained the U20s last season, and was IMHO a huge disappointment after all the hype. I think he also has a long term injury, but he will have to improve more than I think he is capable of.
Williamson in the U20s last season and this. Looks a better prospect but early days, I doubt ready to step up week in week out. Then a Rory Jackson, looks the part, plays 8 but big enough to play lock, struggled to get match time with Ayrshire Bulls IIRC - again doubt he will make it. Lastly another U20 from last season who performed well in S6 this season, Euan Ferrie. I like the look of him but maybe a bit on the short side for a lock

Maybe one of Williamson or Ferrie can step up. Then we have R Gray, Cummings and JP DuP. Need more than 4 top locks, Bean and Bain not good enough
Big D

Post by Big D »

septic 9 wrote: Sykes went to Edinburgh from the Warriors academy, only the SRU can say why. Glasgow were far from rich in locks
From what I've heard and read from a few folk who know kids coming through, the players get far more choice and teams far more autonomy to "big" on these guys than one would think. Edinburgh simply offered more.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

To ‘big’ on them??? Bid?

Am I being dense?
Big D

Post by Big D »

Mikey Brown wrote:To ‘big’ on them??? Bid?

Am I being dense?
Yes, bid. Was an auto correct.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Big D wrote:
septic 9 wrote: Sykes went to Edinburgh from the Warriors academy, only the SRU can say why. Glasgow were far from rich in locks
From what I've heard and read from a few folk who know kids coming through, the players get far more choice and teams far more autonomy to "big" on these guys than one would think. Edinburgh simply offered more.
there is some choice. For example if the lad is at uni or college in one or other city, that can be a factor.
And yes, money offered can be different.
but remember both teams are SRU creatures, and come under the SRU DoR. The DOR who has forced moves between the teams against the will of both player and club.

It was madness to sanction Sykes to Edinburgh - and Darge and Boyle - at a time when Edinburgh were stacked - overloaded - and Glasgow were the opposite. I kinda hope the timing indicates it was the last act of an incompetent DoR
Big D

Post by Big D »

septic 9 wrote:
Big D wrote:
From what I've heard and read from a few folk who know kids coming through, the players get far more choice and teams far more autonomy to "bid" on these guys than one would think. Edinburgh simply offered more.
there is some choice. For example if the lad is at uni or college in one or other city, that can be a factor.
but remember both teams are SRU creatures, and come under the SRU DoR. The DOR who has forced moves between the teams against the will of both player and club.

It was madness to sanction Sykes to Edinburgh - and Darge and Boyle - at a time when Edinburgh were stacked - overloaded - and Glasgow were the opposite. I kinda hope the timing indicates it was the last act of an incompetent DoR
Yes, but that isn't how it works these days for 1st pro deals except in rare cases. Both Darge and Boyle were given a choice as was Sykes. The decision to move Darge only happened after Watson signed a long term deal. If Watson was leaving then Mallinder (assuming it is him) would likely have stayed out of it.

All 3 signed pro deals in March-June 2020. Johnson (assuming that's who you mean) left his post after the 2019 6N.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Big D wrote:
septic 9 wrote:
Big D wrote:
From what I've heard and read from a few folk who know kids coming through, the players get far more choice and teams far more autonomy to "bid" on these guys than one would think. Edinburgh simply offered more.

Yes, but that isn't how it works these days for 1st pro deals except in rare cases. Both Darge and Boyle were given a choice as was Sykes. The decision to move Darge only happened after Watson signed a long term deal. If Watson was leaving then Mallinder (assuming it is him) would likely have stayed out of it.

All 3 signed pro deals in March-June 2020. Johnson (assuming that's who you mean) left his post after the 2019 6N.
kids get more choice when it comes to academy allocation. They are younger, may need more support etc. When its a pro contract, yes they have a say, but also as you say, one club can offer more. That is a nonsense - to allow the 3 pro teams to bid against each other and thus limit the opportunities to the player - Boyle and Darge in particular, no way under the sun both would get real opportunities. There is little point in having a DoR for both if this is what happens
I'm hoping it was SJ, although I accept the timings may suggest otherwise - I always remember that date of an announcement has bugger all to do with the date the deal was agreed

BTW Watson was never going anywhere, everyone knew that
Big D

Post by Big D »

septic 9 wrote:
I agree with that, but Edinburgh would have been negligent not to have a back up plan.
Big D

Post by Big D »

septic 9 wrote:
Big D wrote:
septic 9 wrote:

kids get more choice when it comes to academy allocation. They are younger, may need more support etc. When its a pro contract, yes they have a say, but also as you say, one club can offer more. That is a nonsense - to allow the 3 pro teams to bid against each other and thus limit the opportunities to the player - Boyle and Darge in particular, no way under the sun both would get real opportunities. There is little point in having a DoR for both if this is what happens
I'm hoping it was SJ, although I accept the timings may suggest otherwise - I always remember that date of an announcement has bugger all to do with the date the deal was agreed

Also worth noting that there isn't DoR by name. Mallinder is performance director for which the job description will suitable murky. Got to assume the DoR responsibilities fall under that title although this article doesn't mention recruitment https://www.scottishrugby.org/news/jim- ... e-director
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Big D wrote:

Also worth noting that there isn't DoR by name. Mallinder is performance director for which the job description will suitable murky. Got to assume the DoR responsibilities fall under that title although this article doesn't mention recruitment https://www.scottishrugby.org/news/jim- ... e-director

I think this bit covers it*
"His remit will include developing the player pathway through the age-grade and Fosroc Academy structure to feed into Scotland’s two professional teams, Edinburgh and Glasgow Warriors, Scotland 7s, Scotland Women and ultimately the Scotland men’s national team. "

*in terms of academy to pro teams

His remit in terms of other recruitment moves won't have changed much if at all. He will advise and sit on the SRU committee which decides on larger contracts and imports. He will not be directly involved below that, except and unless he goes down the SJ route of active interference and forcing moves between the 2 teams which neither the losing team nor the player wanted. And such moves as far as I can see or have knowledge of were all in one direction
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Ollie Smith starting at 15 again this week with McKay on the wing. Good to see.

Dobie also getting a start which is good. Would love to see him really break through over the next few months.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Interesting that another Glasgow educated second row has made way east and made his pro debut for Edinburgh tonight. Even if he is in the academy, why don't Glasgow like second rows?
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Big D wrote:Interesting that another Glasgow educated second row has made way east and made his pro debut for Edinburgh tonight. Even if he is in the academy, why don't Glasgow like second rows?
they do. And have Wiliamson, Samuel and Ferrie all in the academy. aged 19. 19. and 20
Big D

Post by Big D »

septic 9 wrote:
Big D wrote:Interesting that another Glasgow educated second row has made way east and made his pro debut for Edinburgh tonight. Even if he is in the academy, why don't Glasgow like second rows?
they do. And have Wiliamson, Samuel and Ferrie all in the academy. aged 19. 19. and 20
It of course was a post in jest given that is now 3 Glasgow/academy/schooled second row gone east and made gains in their career. Davidson had a good season and bkw at Gloucs, Sykes doing well and now another debutant.

Two good Caley lads in the 3 you mention, getting them games might be a hard task. Would think DuPreez is being signed to play most weeks, Gray and Harley not quite retirement age for a couple of years and maybe more signings to come.

Shame Smith is injured there. And how is the tackler allowed to launch into contact and make contact with the head?

This isn't a good Scarlets team.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Big D wrote:
septic 9 wrote:
It of course was a post in jest given that is now 3 Glasgow/academy/schooled second row gone east and made gains in their career. Davidson had a good season and bkw at Gloucs, Sykes doing well and now another debutant.

Two good Caley lads in the 3 you mention, getting them games might be a hard task. Would think DuPreez is being signed to play most weeks, Gray and Harley not quite retirement age for a couple of years and maybe more signings to come.
my hopes for Scotland are on Sykes.

for Glasgow, you would think DuPreez is being signed to play rather than sit on a bench. I'm not sure he's good enough TBH

Harley especially and Gray have been great servants for Glasgow, but today showed whatever example they set off the park, they arenlt so hot on it these days, and their experience just doesn't show. Need leadership form those guys, there is none
Big D

Post by Big D »

septic 9 wrote:
Big D wrote:
septic 9 wrote: they do. And have Wiliamson, Samuel and Ferrie all in the academy. aged 19. 19. and 20

my hopes for Scotland are on Sykes.

for Glasgow, you would think DuPreez is being signed to play rather than sit on a bench. I'm not sure he's good enough TBH

Harley especially and Gray have been great servants for Glasgow, but today showed whatever example they set off the park, they arenlt so hot on it these days, and their experience just doesn't show. Need leadership form those guys, there is none
Agreed.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

shocking result for Glasgow yesterday. Very comfortable first half, 10-0 up (should have taken a simple pen for another 3) without looking really dangerous. Weir a real anchor in attack and I'm afraid young Dobie hit a wall this season and he is regressing rather than improving. A sucker try just before HT swung momentum and that was that really.
Danny Wilson said after the game that he wasn't making excuses but a number of players in the 23 were ill. Brown came on and was soon back off, Johnson was subbed (ill) but came back on (to cover a blood/HIA ) even though ill. Dempsey also ill. Maybe others as the rumour is a nasty bug in the travelling squad and some threw up on the park or pitch side. I'm hoping that is al true as it would go some way to explaining a terrible second half.

To rub it in, Kebble off with an HIA, so will be doubtful for Scotland (I think we are down to Dell or Bomber Hislop for loose head) and young Ollie Smith off with a nasty looking injury - he had again been looking really good. Not been a good couple of weeks for Glasgow fans
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Maybe the illness explains this one, but Glasgow are a bit of a strange team. They were actually on a long winning run, but it doesn't really feel like it because when they lose they always seem to lose badly.

Curious about Dobie. I thought it was all set up for this year to be his year.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Big D wrote:
septic 9 wrote:
Big D wrote:Rumours is they've signed David Meihuizen. However, it is still daft to let decent second rows go unless they've been offered silly money.
new rumour or the one from a season or two back?

Neither he nor JP DuPreez can get close to their current teams staring teams, and neither are like McDonald - both are more Richie Gray. Glasgow will need another lock. Bean is a big lump and...............that's it. Bain was a panic signing as well last season, injured most/all of this one and TBH isn't good enough
Possibly a bit of both on Mehuizen. People maybe regurgitating an old rumour.
Timbo on the English message board just had this update:

"David Meihuizen, 24 yo Saffa lock who was in discussions with Wasps earlier this season has been forced to retire. Multiple concussions."

So that puts that one to bed.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

I was sick to the gut yesterday when I saw this reported on the Beeb and elsewhere, couldn't bring myself to post anything. Met him a few times, absolute gentleman and all round nice guy. As well as a very clever player who was very good for Warriors. Feel for his family
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Fuck. That's horrible. I don't know anything of his personal life but he always seemed like such a positive force in the way he played and the way he carried himself.