The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Moderator: OptimisticJock

Cameo

Re: The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Post by Cameo »

Genuinely don't know if he is a good option or not. More interesting than an interim to see them through this season I suppose.
Still septic

Post by Still septic »

Big D wrote:
Cameo wrote:Franco Smith (South African former Italy coach) is apparently at the top of the list now.
How very uninspiring that the SRU are left having to buy Franco Smith out of his deal.
reality is with the RWC approaching options are few to close to zero. We'll see how he goes, I'd just be relieved and delighted its not Dean Richards
Still septic

Post by Still septic »

Cameo wrote:Genuinely don't know if he is a good option or not. More interesting than an interim to see them through this season I suppose.
any interim (pending top coaches becoming willing to consider a move) would be until after the RWC. So not just the coming season but the following pre season, recruitment for following season and first couple of months of the following season. At least.

Many Glasgow fans were calling for Wilson's head almost before he was appointed (SRU cast off nonsense). His position became untenable after the Leinster embarrassment but sacking him looked like caving in to the nutters. Can't see an 18 month interim being welcomed. A poor season with an interim and all hell let loose. Then again, appoint say one of the assistants, win the league - then sack him? ;)

Can't be a worse time to sack a head coach
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Confirmed now with a 2 year contract.

Glasgow Warriors have appointed Franco Smith as the club’s new Head Coach on an initial two-year contract.

Smith, 50, joins from the Italian Rugby Federation where he has served as Head of High Performance since 2021, and previously as the men’s national Head Coach from 2020.

He will arrive at Scotstoun at the end of August, prior to the club’s two pre-season fixtures, after a short notice period. In the coming weeks he will be in close contact with his assistant coaches – Nigel Carolan, Peter Murchie, Alasdair Dickinson, and Pete Horne.

Welcoming his appointment, Smith, said: “I have followed Glasgow for a long time, since coaching at Benetton when they joined the PRO12 in 2010, and the way they play has always appealed to me because their style is embraced by the fans.

“In coaching I always have these objectives: to play a winning brand of rugby; to have a style that is good to watch and that the fans can associate with – it is the Warrior Nation’s team, and our responsibility through the coaches and players is to represent them.

“There are also opportunities at Glasgow to contribute to the pathway for up-and-coming players, making sure we are developing creative, fit, and knowledgeable rugby players from a young age that we will bring all the way through to Scotland.

“I am looking forward to joining the club and getting to know the coaching staff and players as we begin working together.”

Smith, a former Springbok, made a try scoring debut against Scotland at Murrayfield and won nine caps for his country between 1996 and 1999, and brings with him a wealth of knowledge both as a professional player and coach, with experience working with backs, forwards, and on set piece.

During his playing career he played for Free State Cheetahs, Griquas, Blue Bulls, and The Pumas in South Africa, as well as Newport, Bologna, and Benetton Treviso in Europe.

Smith began coaching soon after retiring, first as backs coach for Free State Cheetahs, before returning to Italy in 2007 as Head Coach of Benetton. In Treviso, he won two National Championship of Excellence titles, prior to the club joining the PRO12.

He returned to Cheetahs in 2014 and led them to two Currie Cup titles in 2016 and 2019, and also spent time as an assistant coach with South Africa during 2017 and 2018.

As Italy men’s national Head Coach, he was responsible for capping a wealth of talent, including the current men’s national team captain Michele Lamaro, and the talented playmaker Paolo Garbisi.

Others that won their first international caps under Smith include Juan Ignacio Brex (centre), Monty Ioane (wing), and Niccolo Cannone (lock) all of whom were involved in Italy’s recent 22-12 victory over Wales in the 2022 GUINNESS Six Nations.

Glasgow Warriors Managing Director, Alastair Kellock, said: “We are delighted to be signing a Head Coach with Franco’s club and international experience to lead our squad in the coming seasons.

“After an extensive search it was Franco’s depth of knowledge in the game and his experiences at professional club and international levels that stood out. Thank you to the Italian Rugby Federation for their willingness to make this appointment possible.

“I know Franco will bring an exciting identity to our game based on high tempo and hard work, and he will bring the best out of the talented group of players we have at Scotstoun. Franco is also known for developing players from a young age, and with five recent graduates from the FOSROC Academy and a number close behind growing these players remains a key focus for the club.

Scottish Rugby CEO, Mark Dodson, added: “I would like to join Al in welcoming Franco to Scotland and Glasgow Warriors.

“Throughout our recruitment process Franco stood out as a strong technical coach who wants to play positive rugby, which fits with the DNA of Glasgow Warriors and how we want to develop our squad, especially the exciting group of younger players, at Scotstoun.

“Across the game people we consulted spoke very highly of Franco as a coach and a person and we look forward to him taking Glasgow Warriors forward in the coming seasons.”
Does 2 years make sense at this point?
Still septic

Post by Still septic »

Mikey Brown wrote:Confirmed now with a 2 year contract.

Glasgow Warriors have appointed Franco Smith as the club’s new Head Coach on an initial two-year contract.

Smith, 50, joins from the Italian Rugby Federation where he has served as Head of High Performance since 2021, and previously as the men’s national Head Coach from 2020.

He will arrive at Scotstoun at the end of August, prior to the club’s two pre-season fixtures, after a short notice period. In the coming weeks he will be in close contact with his assistant coaches – Nigel Carolan, Peter Murchie, Alasdair Dickinson, and Pete Horne.

Welcoming his appointment, Smith, said: “I have followed Glasgow for a long time, since coaching at Benetton when they joined the PRO12 in 2010, and the way they play has always appealed to me because their style is embraced by the fans.

“In coaching I always have these objectives: to play a winning brand of rugby; to have a style that is good to watch and that the fans can associate with – it is the Warrior Nation’s team, and our responsibility through the coaches and players is to represent them.

“There are also opportunities at Glasgow to contribute to the pathway for up-and-coming players, making sure we are developing creative, fit, and knowledgeable rugby players from a young age that we will bring all the way through to Scotland.

“I am looking forward to joining the club and getting to know the coaching staff and players as we begin working together.”

Smith, a former Springbok, made a try scoring debut against Scotland at Murrayfield and won nine caps for his country between 1996 and 1999, and brings with him a wealth of knowledge both as a professional player and coach, with experience working with backs, forwards, and on set piece.

During his playing career he played for Free State Cheetahs, Griquas, Blue Bulls, and The Pumas in South Africa, as well as Newport, Bologna, and Benetton Treviso in Europe.

Smith began coaching soon after retiring, first as backs coach for Free State Cheetahs, before returning to Italy in 2007 as Head Coach of Benetton. In Treviso, he won two National Championship of Excellence titles, prior to the club joining the PRO12.

He returned to Cheetahs in 2014 and led them to two Currie Cup titles in 2016 and 2019, and also spent time as an assistant coach with South Africa during 2017 and 2018.

As Italy men’s national Head Coach, he was responsible for capping a wealth of talent, including the current men’s national team captain Michele Lamaro, and the talented playmaker Paolo Garbisi.

Others that won their first international caps under Smith include Juan Ignacio Brex (centre), Monty Ioane (wing), and Niccolo Cannone (lock) all of whom were involved in Italy’s recent 22-12 victory over Wales in the 2022 GUINNESS Six Nations.

Glasgow Warriors Managing Director, Alastair Kellock, said: “We are delighted to be signing a Head Coach with Franco’s club and international experience to lead our squad in the coming seasons.

“After an extensive search it was Franco’s depth of knowledge in the game and his experiences at professional club and international levels that stood out. Thank you to the Italian Rugby Federation for their willingness to make this appointment possible.

“I know Franco will bring an exciting identity to our game based on high tempo and hard work, and he will bring the best out of the talented group of players we have at Scotstoun. Franco is also known for developing players from a young age, and with five recent graduates from the FOSROC Academy and a number close behind growing these players remains a key focus for the club.

Scottish Rugby CEO, Mark Dodson, added: “I would like to join Al in welcoming Franco to Scotland and Glasgow Warriors.

“Throughout our recruitment process Franco stood out as a strong technical coach who wants to play positive rugby, which fits with the DNA of Glasgow Warriors and how we want to develop our squad, especially the exciting group of younger players, at Scotstoun.

“Across the game people we consulted spoke very highly of Franco as a coach and a person and we look forward to him taking Glasgow Warriors forward in the coming seasons.”
Does 2 years make sense at this point?

unusual these days for anyone employed by the SRU to have contract length disclosed!

I'd probably have preferred 3 years, which I think is a fairer time to allow a coach to recruit and build his team
But OTOH, Wilson's 3 year contract may have been seen as a problem towards the end, and 2 year deal means his contract is up the season after the next RWC ends, others will come on the market/look for new opportunities
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

I am coming round to this. How a coach will work out is always a bit unpredictable but he has good experience and says the right thing. I do think style is important too and he gets that - I want Glasgow to win but recognise it won't always happen, let's at least enjoy the ride!
Scottish Caley Fan

Post by Scottish Caley Fan »

At least its not Stuart Lancaster so he's still free to step into Gregor's job next Christmas time :P.

Regarding Franco Smith, I see Messrs Robertson (Mail Journalist) and our Celtic friend (or more like moaning mini!) English are dissing the appointment before a ball has even been struck yet with some on Glasgows Facebook group angry at them for their views.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

I don't remember him improving Italy in anyway or developing a clear style of play or game plan. Wasn't his the era of really importing large but average South Africans to try make them competetive? But he gets the benefit of the doubt for now.

What I think is more concerning is the seeming lack of a plan. I get moving on from Wilson, but they seemingly did so without a clear idea what they were looking for in the next coach. It's not clear to me what about Smith that makes him the outstanding candidate, and how that meshes with Glasgow the club.
Still septic

Post by Still septic »

switchskier wrote:I don't remember him improving Italy in anyway or developing a clear style of play or game plan. Wasn't his the era of really importing large but average South Africans to try make them competitive? But he gets the benefit of the doubt for now.
there was (and still is a bit) a long period of importing Boks who eventually became competitive for Italy, eg Nel, Schoeman, Duhan VDM, CDP etc :D

Smith was only interim head coach for Italy. I disagree about him not improving them or developing a clear game plan. I will agree it did not show through in results. They played some very good structured rugby, with flair. Italy have a raft of kids playing these days (much the youngest team in the 6N). Better last season for sure (a win!) but those kids were a year older and first capped by Smith. BTW he seems to be pretty rayed in SA and one SImone Favore has gone to some length to say he's a great coach and will fit Glasgow perfectly, having the same innovative and attacking mindset as Toonie!
Still septic

Post by Still septic »

switchskier wrote: What I think is more concerning is the seeming lack of a plan. I get moving on from Wilson, but they seemingly did so without a clear idea what they were looking for in the next coach. It's not clear to me what about Smith that makes him the outstanding candidate, and how that meshes with Glasgow the club.
in a sense anytime you sack a coach a year early you don't have a plan. I'd suggest that the plan was dependent on how his his first 2 seasons had gone - went really well and he stays, new deal lined up for the end of his 3rd season. Not gone so well and head hinting for new coach after his 3 seasons are up - to come in immediately after the RWC

Right now as has been said so many times, the field was extremely limited as no top coach is going to move until after the RWC. As to meshing with Glasgow, who would? And anyway as I said above Favaro thinks he will be a perfect fit :D

Among many Glasgow fans, if Favaro likes him, that's it. Fine :mrgreen: Man's a legend
oldprussians

Post by oldprussians »

So I am back for a short time only

What I will say is this.

Glasgow have bought a pup with Franco Smith, and also paid for the privilege

He was responsible for the worst SA attack under Coetzee SA have had for a long time and Italy beat them

With a better squad than Crowley has now he had far worse results

Franco Smith was sacked and Innocenti couldn't get rid of him due to stitched up contracts so created role for him.

SA fans wet themselves laughing that he was so bad and got promoted.

What were the owners of Glasgow thinking???

if I am wrong and you become awesome I will really eat my hat, and a ton load of humble pie.

But I am really baffled in a nice way. Not trying to troll. I am just baffled.

Are you happy?
Still septic

Post by Still septic »

oldprussians wrote:So I am back for a short time only

What I will say is this.

He was responsible for the worst SA attack under Coetzee SA have had for a long time and Italy beat them

Franco Smith was sacked and Innocenti couldn't get rid of him due to stitched up contracts so created role for him.

if I am wrong and you become awesome I will really eat my hat, and a ton load of humble pie.

Are you happy?
be good if you explained the bit I've bolded.

Then remember that Smith was only temp head coach for Italy, stepped into the role O'Shea was sacked from as DoR

If the rest of your post is as accurate.............
oldprussians

Post by oldprussians »

Still septic wrote:

What I will say is this.

Are you happy?

Then remember that Smith was only temp head coach for Italy, stepped into the role O'Shea was sacked from as DoR

Well Minozzi was fit
Meyer was fit
Polledri was fit

Look at the for ad against for the equal amount of seasons

Look at the defensive analysis done by any experts

Look at how Crowley did for the majority of the game vs the All Blacks

It is night and day.

I should be happy knowing you are going to get pasted as a competitor being an Italian fan. But I can't it just seems unsporting and not in the rugby spirit.

I think he is a born again Christian, honest but utterly naïve.

Did you see how he behaved when Italy lost.

When he came in Goosen was defence coach whom I didn't rate highly but at least he had been doing it under Crowley.

Troncon was hired to be attack and 3/4 coach. Smith swapped them around and we saw what happened.

Look at squidge rugby analysis.

You really think that he will reverse the scores Leinster put on you, you must be joking.

I mean it I am sorry I wouldn't wish him on any URC team.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

oldprussians wrote:
Still septic wrote:

What I will say is this.

Are you happy?

Well Minozzi was fit
Meyer was fit
Polledri was fit

It is night and day.

I should be happy knowing you are going to get pasted as a competitor being an Italian fan. But I can't it just seems unsporting and not in the rugby spirit.

When he came in Goosen was defence coach whom I didn't rate highly but at least he had been doing it under Crowley.

Troncon was hired to be attack and 3/4 coach. Smith swapped them around and we saw what happened.

You really think that he will reverse the scores Leinster put on you, you must be joking.

think so many Boks are have a very strong Christian faith, hence so many happy in Belfast for example. Its a strange and frankly rather sick way to attack someone on a rugby forum
I've no idea how he'll go at Glasgow, we will find that out soon enough

As to other stuff post post
Minnozzi have been mainly injured for a few seasons. Polledri has just missed 2 seasons with injury.
Crowley for Italy picked the players Smith capped year earlier. A year older and more experienced. He won a game against wales, great and deserved result, then lost to Georgia for the first time ever

Being selective with "facts" to suit your clear personal agenda and dislike of Smith is easily picked out.

Me, I'll wait and see
oldprussians

Post by oldprussians »

septic 9 wrote:
oldprussians wrote:
Still septic wrote:

Well Minozzi was fit
Meyer was fit
Polledri was fit

It is night and day.

think so many Boks are have a very strong Christian faith, hence so many happy in Belfast for example. Its a strange and frankly rather sick way to attack someone on a rugby forum
I've no idea how he'll go at Glasgow, we will find that out soon enough

As to other stuff post post
Minnozzi have been mainly injured for a few seasons. Polledri has just missed 2 seasons with injury.
Crowley for Italy picked the players Smith capped year earlier. A year older and more experienced. He won a game against wales, great and deserved result, then lost to Georgia for the first time ever

Being selective with "facts" to suit your clear personal agenda and dislike of Smith is easily picked out.

Me, I'll wait and see
Didn't mean it as an attack just meant it as description of his character not that it impinge on his coaching ability, nor that I am anti being religious

Sorry if it cam across that way. But I found it odd that when he was made head coach he talked about his religious belief. But that is fine.

I just think that he is not a clever coach.

I suspect he is a lovely bloke. just not what it takes to be coach at this level.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Cameo wrote:
Mikey Brown wrote:Interesting move.

That's cool. Seemed to stall a bit this year. Hope he gets some gametime.
On the bench for the season opener today
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Cameo wrote:
Cameo wrote:
Mikey Brown wrote:Interesting move.

That's cool. Seemed to stall a bit this year. Hope he gets some gametime.
On the bench for the season opener today
Seems to have been pulled. Another 9 came off the bench. I presume an injury in the warm up or something but that's guesswork.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Dobie actually on the bench this time
Still septic

Post by Still septic »

week or so back Glasgow signed Joel Hodgson on a short term contract. A stand off released by Newcastle. Why we all wondered. Seems Ross Thomson has had back surgery and will miss start of season. Weir also thought to be injured (some might say won't be missed).
I've liked what I've seen of Hodgson, does like to play running rugby
Puja

Post by Puja »

Still septic wrote:week or so back Glasgow signed Joel Hodgson on a short term contract. A stand off released by Newcastle. Why we all wondered. Seems Ross Thomson has had back surgery and will miss start of season. Weir also thought to be injured (some might say won't be missed).
I've liked what I've seen of Hodgson, does like to play running rugby
He's a decent and underrated player, although hampered a touch by only being 3ft tall and 5st soaking wet. Surprised Newcastle let him go, tbh.

Puja
Backist Monk
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

And a start for Dobie in game three against a strong looking Auckland team. Looked quite sharp in his 30 mins last week.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Played well too in a real backs to wall win. Looked absolutely spent but then came up with a chargedown for a key try and a kick, chase and strip leading (indirectly) to another. Not much chance to show his running game, but passed and kicked well. You would think this spell will help him hit the ground running.
no sleep

Post by no sleep »

I'm struggling to remember ever having seen a 9 charge down a kick.
Still septic

Post by Still septic »

guess everyone has been following the saga of Glasgow's 1st pre season friendly, against Worcester. Match off, Worcs fighting against administration and hadn't paid players in time so didn't travel. (Then were paid yesterday I believe)

SO Glasgow's commitment to a game in INverness.......goes ahead tonight, step forward Ayrshire Bulls.

Last season's Glasgow against this season's Bulls could have been tight. Still might not be an easy win, not the strongest Warriors side bit they have nicked a few (academy and partnership deals) who have been playing for Bulls in S6
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Glasgow warm up v Ulster also off. Can't think why :roll: