Mikey Brown

Re: The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Post by Mikey Brown »

Sorry, is it obvious?
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Mikey Brown wrote:Sorry, is it obvious?
I believe the offered reason will be deemed so.

All games in Scotland this weekend off
Not a decision I favour, but obvious , yes
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

All very strange. Minute's silence fine - cancelling all games I just don't get. Who is it meant to benefit/please? Are her family bothered if other people continue to have fun?
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

septic 9 wrote:

I hadn't actually seen about dead queen when I read that post, but do you speak in such cryptic manner in real life? Just curious.
Still septic

Post by Still septic »

Mikey Brown wrote:
septic 9 wrote:

I hadn't actually seen about dead queen when I read that post, but do you speak in such cryptic manner in real life? Just curious.
the announcement was much earlier, and the TV, esp BBC wall to wall misery. If you'd managed to miss it that post would I guess appear cryptic. I do almost envy you avoiding it until so late!
Still septic

Post by Still septic »

Cameo wrote:All very strange. Minute's silence fine - cancelling all games I just don't get. Who is it meant to benefit/please? Are her family bothered if other people continue to have fun?
behave, know your place serf
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Still septic wrote:
Mikey Brown wrote:
septic 9 wrote:

the announcement was much earlier, and the TV, esp BBC wall to wall misery. If you'd managed to miss it that post would I guess appear cryptic. I do almost envy you avoiding it until so late!
I’m not sure that cancelling rugby games in Scotland is obvious even once I did know. It seems inevitable now that nobody is allowed to do anything at all for the next week or so though. FFS.
Puja

Post by Puja »

septic 9 wrote:

Interestingly enough, still no decision made about whether English rugby and football are off this weekend. Would be weird for Scotland to be too sad to play ball sports but not England, but it feels like the English sporting bodies are at least angling for that.

Puja
Backist Monk
Still septic

Post by Still septic »

Mikey Brown wrote:
Still septic wrote:
Mikey Brown wrote:
I’m not sure that cancelling rugby games in Scotland is obvious even once I did know. It seems inevitable now that nobody is allowed to do anything at all for the next week or so though. FFS.
Last night's game was obvious I think. All other games this week much less so but utterly predictable from the blazers I think.
Depending on when the funeral vis could lose next weekend as well
Big D

Post by Big D »

Once football called games off (due to policing presumably) then rugby was always going to follow. I can understand the pro games being off but not grass roots.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Tom Jordan to start at ten for the first game of the season.

Glasgow Warriors team to face Benetton at the Stadio Comunale di Monigo, Friday 16 September, kick-off 5.30pm (UK time). You can watch the match live on Premier Sports 1, or follow the action through the @GlasgowWarriors Twitter account.

1. Jamie Bhatti (67)
2. Fraser Brown (123)
3. Lucio Sordoni (0)
4. Lewis Bean (18)
5. Richie Gray (83)
6. Sintu Manjezi (0)
7. Matt Fagerson (79)
8. Jack Dempsey (22)

9. George Horne (80)
10. Tom Jordan (0)
11. Kyle Steyn (C) (49)
12. Stafford McDowall (38)
13. Sione Tuipulotu (20)
14. Sebastian Cancelliere (9)
15. Cole Forbes (24)

16. Johnny Matthews (31)
17. Oli Kebble (77)
18. Zander Fagerson (115)
19. Scott Cummings (90)
20. Rory Darge (20)
21. Thomas Gordon (52)
22. Ali Price (111)
23. Duncan Weir (125)

Unavailable for selection: Allan Dell (calf), Jamie Dobie (hamstring), Huw Jones (back), Ally Miller (back), Domingo Miotti (hamstring), Enrique Pieretto (shoulder), Ollie Smith (back), Ross Thompson (back).
Still septic

Post by Still septic »

Cameo wrote:Tom Jordan to start at ten for the first game of the season.

Glasgow Warriors team to face Benetton at the Stadio Comunale di Monigo, Friday 16 September, kick-off 5.30pm (UK time). You can watch the match live on Premier Sports 1, or follow the action through the @GlasgowWarriors Twitter account.

1. Jamie Bhatti (67)
2. Fraser Brown (123)
3. Lucio Sordoni (0)
4. Lewis Bean (18)
5. Richie Gray (83)
6. Sintu Manjezi (0)
7. Matt Fagerson (79)
8. Jack Dempsey (22)

9. George Horne (80)
10. Tom Jordan (0)
11. Kyle Steyn (C) (49)
12. Stafford McDowall (38)
13. Sione Tuipulotu (20)
14. Sebastian Cancelliere (9)
15. Cole Forbes (24)

16. Johnny Matthews (31)
17. Oli Kebble (77)
18. Zander Fagerson (115)
19. Scott Cummings (90)
20. Rory Darge (20)
21. Thomas Gordon (52)
22. Ali Price (111)
23. Duncan Weir (125)

Unavailable for selection: Allan Dell (calf), Jamie Dobie (hamstring), Huw Jones (back), Ally Miller (back), Domingo Miotti (hamstring), Enrique Pieretto (shoulder), Ollie Smith (back), Ross Thompson (back).
Brown fails late fitness test. Mathews in, Turner to bench
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Nice.
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Apologies, I barely follow Glasgow updates at all... Tom Jordan? Is he a promising youngster with the potential to lead and organise Glasgow and Scotland for years to come?

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk
It was so much easier to blame Them. It was bleakly depressing to think They were Us. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Donny osmond wrote:Apologies, I barely follow Glasgow updates at all... Tom Jordan? Is he a promising youngster with the potential to lead and organise Glasgow and Scotland for years to come?

24, NZ born, played for Ayrshire Bulls either 10 or 12, and was outstanding last season. On todays performance, he can go back to Bulls (and bench behind the 19 yo Simpson who will be a star. tbf Horne's pass was poor, too slow and looped. Laidlawesqe
Donny osmond

Re: RE: Re: The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Post by Donny osmond »

septic 9 wrote:
Donny osmond wrote:Apologies, I barely follow Glasgow updates at all... Tom Jordan? Is he a promising youngster with the potential to lead and organise Glasgow and Scotland for years to come?

24, NZ born, played for Ayrshire Bulls either 10 or 12, and was outstanding last season. On todays performance, he can go back to Bulls (and bench behind the 19 yo Simpson who will be a star. tbf Horne's pass was poor, too slow and looped. Laidlawesqe
Oh.

Last I saw Glasgow did have a promising youngster at 10? Thomson?

Sorry, I'm about as far out of the loop as I can get.

It was so much easier to blame Them. It was bleakly depressing to think They were Us. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
oldprussians

Post by oldprussians »

Told you Glasgow made a mistake with Smith
Still septic

Re: RE: Re: The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Post by Still septic »

Donny osmond wrote:
septic 9 wrote:

Oh.

Last I saw Glasgow did have a promising youngster at 10? Thomson?

Sorry, I'm about as far out of the loop as I can get.

Thomson, yes. Minor surgery on off season, not ready yet

Hate getting too excited but young Simpson at Ayr looks to me a cut above anything since Russell
Still septic

Post by Still septic »

oldprussians wrote:Told you Glasgow made a mistake with Smith
one game in, only a few weeks with the team and a squad he didn't pick, pre season games cancelled. Yes excellent basis to make a call like that
Glasgow have serious and deep rooted problems. Mainly stemming from Rennie doing f all to build, That was where the mistake was made. Teams do not become great overnight, not do they fade instantly. We are seeing Rennie's heritage, it already cost one coach his job
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Still septic wrote:
oldprussians wrote:Told you Glasgow made a mistake with Smith
one game in, only a few weeks with the team and a squad he didn't pick, pre season games cancelled. Yes excellent basis to make a call like that
Glasgow have serious and deep rooted problems. Mainly stemming from Rennie doing f all to build, That was where the mistake was made. Teams do not become great overnight, not do they fade instantly. We are seeing Rennie's heritage, it already cost one coach his job
Hard to say until the team settles a bit, obviously, but it’s an odd looking team sheet. Curious to see where he lands on his first choice side once most are available.

Thoughts on Fagerson being Scotlands first choice 8 but not playing there week in week out?
Still septic

Post by Still septic »

Mikey Brown wrote:
Thoughts on Fagerson being Scotlands first choice 8 but not playing there week in week out?
he won't be 1st choice 8 if he plays like last night. Very poor. Starting at 7, finishing at 6

6 and 8 can be largely interchangeable, to an extent 6 and 7. Fagerson for Scotland has put clear water between himself and others for Scotland no8, this summer clearly. Yet Dempsey started most for Glasgow at 8. It will come down to fitness and form - and who Tonnie trusts
Still septic

Post by Still septic »

Mikey Brown wrote:
Hard to say until the team settles a bit, obviously, but it’s an odd looking team sheet. Curious to see where he lands on his first choice side once most are available.
it will take time. And harsh to judge on one game but I'm not convinced some of the new signings are nearly good enough

Horne was really poor, made the debutant 10's job very difficult. He isn't going to be a good enough starting 9.
If DuPreez is not good enough to be picked above Bean (and I'm not sure he is) god help us. Manteji visible twice, both conceding pens, ditto the new tight head

a problem I suspect and fear is how much micromanagment goes on this season from Murrayfield in the run up tp the RWC. Zander Fagerson and Ali Price especially - the difference last night when that pair came on was tremendous. A full strength starting XV will be competitive, injuries, Scotland calls leave the rest weak. Another tough season I fear
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Still septic wrote:
Mikey Brown wrote:
he won't be 1st choice 8 if he plays like last night. Very poor. Starting at 7, finishing at 6

6 and 8 can be largely interchangeable, to an extent 6 and 7. Fagerson for Scotland has put clear water between himself and others for Scotland no8, this summer clearly. Yet Dempsey started most for Glasgow at 8. It will come down to fitness and form - and who Tonnie trusts
I suppose my question comes from a mix of concerns.

I like what Dempsey offers, but Fagerson’s ability to truck the ball up and actually catch a fucking restart has been invaluable to Scotland since he settled in his role. More firepower in the backrow would be very nice, but it’s hard to see how Ritchie at 6 or either 7 could give way.

Fagerson being Scotland’s primary carrier at international level but supporting Dempsey from flanker at club level just sounds a bit off to me I suppose. Not got a clue if his assigned role would have anything to do with his poor performance yesterday though.

It’s all moot until we can go 3 phases without coughing up the ball or giving away a penalty.

Back to Glasgow though - having your captain on the wing is just wrong.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Sounds like a great win for Glasgow this week though Darge picked up a serious injury.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Cameo wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:54 pm Sounds like a great win for Glasgow this week though Darge picked up a serious injury.
Darge is a one off, a talent rarely seen. Hope he recovers as expected this year

Was a very good won, much needed after last week of course. That said they left too many points out there and conceded too many to a poor Cardiff side