Abandoned Car

Buggaluggs

Abandoned Car

Post by Buggaluggs »

A family friend who has become no friend at all has left his car in my mum's driveway. He says it wont run and is scrap but won/t remove it. He claims he has lost the log book which I believe is needed to scrap it. I have contacted the council but they say that it is not a safety risk so they won't remove it.

Any thoughts?
Puja

Re: Abandoned Car

Post by Puja »

Buggaluggs wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 7:03 pm A family friend who has become no friend at all has left his car in my mum's driveway. He says it wont run and is scrap but won/t remove it. He claims he has lost the log book which I believe is needed to scrap it. I have contacted the council but they say that it is not a safety risk so they won't remove it.

Any thoughts?
Oof. I'm not sure how many legal remedies you have there. I believe a car can be scrapped without the logbook (quick google says yes: https://www.car.co.uk/media/blogs/scrap ... -a-logbook), but obviously you can't do it, only he can. Maybe serve him with a notice that you plan on having it towed and suing him for the costs?

A further google says that the council are malingering and they are required to remove it: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/abandoned-v ... d-vehicles

ETA. Have found a government tool for reporting abandoned vehicles which might be a good place to start: https://www.gov.uk/report-abandoned-vehicle

ETETA. I'm sorry your family friend has turned into such a monumental dick.

Puja
Backist Monk
Buggaluggs

Post by Buggaluggs »

Thanks Puja

I didn't really think I'd get much help here as it is a tricky one. I appreciate your advice. The dick is now of no fixed abode, so serving notice is tricky.

The websites are more for cars dumped in public right-of-ways. The fact that it is on private property makes it tough. I'm thinking I might try to find a tow company with flexible morals to tow it and dump it on the street. Cardiff.
Buggaluggs

Post by Buggaluggs »

OnlyMonikerRemaining

Post by OnlyMonikerRemaining »

If it is not taxed or SORN'd for a month or so it is classed as abandoned so the council should act. Can you not get a couple of trolley jacks and push it into the road?
Puja

Post by Puja »

Buggaluggs wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 1:36 am Thanks Puja

I didn't really think I'd get much help here as it is a tricky one. I appreciate your advice. The dick is now of no fixed abode, so serving notice is tricky.

The websites are more for cars dumped in public right-of-ways. The fact that it is on private property makes it tough. I'm thinking I might try to find a tow company with flexible morals to tow it and dump it on the street. Cardiff.
What's the latest? Have you had any joy with getting it removed?

Puja
Backist Monk
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

How far from the road is the car located? You could always bump it out of gear and push it to the kerbside, alternatively there must be a breakers who could pick it up on the hush hush.
Buggaluggs

Post by Buggaluggs »

Its an auto so difficult to get into neutral. And it is still there.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Buggaluggs wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:15 pm Its an auto so difficult to get into neutral. And it is still there.
You've bought this upon yourself..;)
AL.

Post by AL. »

Bit late to the party on this one, have seen this before at my local a couple of times:

- Call your local banger racing people, tell them they can have it for free if they come and get it.

- Call a local scrap merchant come traveller type, tell them its free if they want it.

Both worked for them.