The final

Home of our Rugby World Cup Discussions.
Official France 2023 website here: https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/2023

Moderator: Puja

francoisfou

Re: The final

Post by francoisfou »

Here's the Boks side for the final:

South Africa: Willemse; Arendse, Kriel, De Allende, Kolbe; Pollard, De Klerk; Kitshoff, Mbonambi, Malherbe, Etzebeth, Mostert, Kolisi (capt), Du Toit, Vermeulen.

Replacements: Fourie, Nche, Nyakane, Kleyn, Snyman, Smith, Wiese, Le Roux.

A 7-1 bench. Wonder who'll be the scrum half replacement, Kolbe?

And the All Blacks:

New Zealand XV: B Barrett; Jordan, Ioane, J Barrett, Telea; Mo'unga, Smith; De Groot, Taylor, Lomax, Retallick, S Barrett, Frizell, Cane (capt), Savea.

Replacements: Taukei'aho, Williams, Laulala, Whitelock, Papalii, Christie, McKenzie, Lienert-Brown.

This is the final that I think no European really wanted (it's a tragedy that France aren't in the final) and I ask myself who the neutrals will be supporting. I believe that NZ's Ian Foster has been in for some flak over the last couple of years, but nevertheless his side have made the final. The Boks' Erasmus has not exactly done his reputation much good over recent years and has rightfully attracted criticism, so I think I'll be leaning towards NZ.
J Dory

Post by J Dory »

francoisfou wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:35 am Here's the Boks side for the final:

South Africa: Willemse; Arendse, Kriel, De Allende, Kolbe; Pollard, De Klerk; Kitshoff, Mbonambi, Malherbe, Etzebeth, Mostert, Kolisi (capt), Du Toit, Vermeulen.

Replacements: Fourie, Nche, Nyakane, Kleyn, Snyman, Smith, Wiese, Le Roux.

A 7-1 bench. Wonder who'll be the scrum half replacement, Kolbe?

And the All Blacks:

New Zealand XV: B Barrett; Jordan, Ioane, J Barrett, Telea; Mo'unga, Smith; De Groot, Taylor, Lomax, Retallick, S Barrett, Frizell, Cane (capt), Savea.

Replacements: Taukei'aho, Williams, Laulala, Whitelock, Papalii, Christie, McKenzie, Lienert-Brown.

This is the final that I think no European really wanted (it's a tragedy that France aren't in the final) and I ask myself who the neutrals will be supporting. I believe that NZ's Ian Foster has been in for some flak over the last couple of years, but nevertheless his side have made the final. The Boks' Erasmus has not exactly done his reputation much good over recent years and has rightfully attracted criticism, so I think I'll be leaning towards NZ.
I wish it was France too, the final it should have been for me, I could even have handled France winning it. If SA wins it with kick and ruck and 7 extra forwards ....they will deserve their win, we will have to accept it, but it's not the rugby I want to watch.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Interesting selection from SA. In a way it was predictable Pollard coming in but for another team it night be a surprise to see them abandon Libock and the approach from earlier in the tournament and that got them past France just because of a rainy day v England.

7-1 is just a bit silly too. Apart from the injury risk, I reckon De Klerk has some days when his pratting around just isn't that effective. I think a fresh 9, who is also decent on the wing if needed, is more likely to have an impact than another forward.
canta_brian

Post by canta_brian »

Cameo wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:33 am Interesting selection from SA. In a way it was predictable Pollard coming in but for another team it night be a surprise to see them abandon Libock and the approach from earlier in the tournament and that got them past France just because of a rainy day v England.

7-1 is just a bit silly too. Apart from the injury risk, I reckon De Klerk has some days when his pratting around just isn't that effective. I think a fresh 9, who is also decent on the wing if needed, is more likely to have an impact than another forward.
By interesting do you mean boring as fuck?
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Surprised the AB's haven't gone back to pairing Whitelock and Retallick given Barrett's propensity for stupidity that would earn him a place in our squad! I guess they are both getting on a bit, so looking for Barrett to go 80+.

On SA- that's nuts tbh. Dropping Kock is interesting...is there a match day quota thing going on there, given Libbok is out.
cashead

Post by cashead »

On the ABs selections, a couple of surprises. Laulala had been almost sight unseen, so I hadn't expected him to get the nod ahead of Newell, while Taueki'aho had been somewhat mediocre. I'd have gone with Coles, but in both cases, it's clear Foster and Ryan have gone with bulk.

On the Boks, yeah, feels like a bit of a mad gamble. I feel like it'll be close for a fair bit, and then a knackered backline with no real fresh legs to end up being the difference between the two teams.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Shame on you, sweet Nerevar
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

A year ago I would have had Taueki'aho starting but, yeah, a bit of a surprise now. At his best can make a bit impact. One of those players who can have five good carries in five mins.

On the locks, Barrett has his moments of stupidity but I honestly don't think there are many better. His workratr is unbelievable and he regularly put in big hits and cover tackles that are potentially gamechanging.

Just hope the rain stays away.
pompey-zebra

Post by pompey-zebra »

Cameo wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:41 am A year ago I would have had Taueki'aho starting but, yeah, a bit of a surprise now. At his best can make a bit impact. One of those players who can have five good carries in five mins.

On the locks, Barrett has his moments of stupidity but I honestly don't think there are many better. His workratr is unbelievable and he regularly put in big hits and cover tackles that are potentially gamechanging.

Just hope the rain stays away.
90% chance of heavy rain between 2000-2200 from the forecasts I've seen. Just hoping for that 10%.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

For whatever it’s worth I wouldn’t particularly have wanted a France/Ireland final either, as much as both teams would be worthy finalists or winners. France or Ireland vs NZ or SA would have been great.
morepork

Post by morepork »

Meeting up with some Bok fans for a base of smoked ribs and soul food before heading to the pub to get our drink on and see who wins. Bringing some locals for crisis actor AB support. Like Oates , I may be some time…

Let’s get her done Aotearoa. Psyched.
canta_brian

Post by canta_brian »

How many front row injuries do NZ have to fake to force uncontested scrums and totally negate the 7/1 split?
J Dory

Post by J Dory »

I am super excited for this one. Beautiful autumn day here, 20 ish folks over to watch. Will no doubt be a late one regardless of the outcome but .... cmon ABs!!!!!
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

canta_brian wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:22 pm How many front row injuries do NZ have to fake to force uncontested scrums and totally negate the 7/1 split?
I'd actually love to see this, just for Erasmus's reaction. He's the only reason I'm supporting NZ today.
Silvercloud

Post by Silvercloud »

Hey Guys! I may not visit here very often nowadays, but I’m still around and supporting the All Blacks. Good to see a fair few of the “old guard” still here too! I’m getting a tad nervous now! Hopefully we will be celebrating a win later to give us all the fairytale ending to a bumpy few years. Enjoy the match wherever you are. (I see Lizard will, once again, be there in person👍🏻😀) Go the ABs! 🤞🤞
Raeburn Shield Holders: New Zealand
morepork

Post by morepork »

J Dory wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:40 pm I am super excited for this one. Beautiful autumn day here, 20 ish folks over to watch. Will no doubt be a late one regardless of the outcome but .... cmon ABs!!!!!
Get amongst it. I did leaf blowing this morning and fantasized every leaf was a Bok centre.

Small world but it is mine.
morepork

Post by morepork »

Silvercloud wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:02 pm Hey Guys! I may not visit here very often nowadays, but I’m still around and supporting the All Blacks. Good to see a fair few of the “old guard” still here too! I’m getting a tad nervous now! Hopefully we will be celebrating a win later to give us all the fairytale ending to a bumpy few years. Enjoy the match wherever you are. (I see Lizard will, once again, be there in person👍🏻😀) Go the ABs! 🤞🤞

Hello my lovely. Good to hear from you.
UKHamlet
Site Admin

Post by UKHamlet »

Neutral tonight. There are things I like and dislike about both teams. The likes are those with 6, 7, and 8 on their backs. The dislikes have 9.

NZ should have enough to avenge their Twickenham defeat a couple months ago. But South Africa have a massive bench.
UKHamlet
Site Admin

Post by UKHamlet »

UKHamlet wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:02 pm Neutral tonight. There are things I like and dislike about both teams. The likes are those with 6, 7, and 8 on their backs. The dislikes have 9.

NZ should have enough to avenge their Twickenham defeat a couple months ago. But South Africa have a massive bench.
Or maybe not if Frizzell gets upgraded.
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

Big game changer - could be huge after BR.
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

ouch - ditto.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Yeah, that looked a red when I first saw it. New Zealand really behind the 8-ball now.

Puja
Backist Monk
canta_brian

Post by canta_brian »

16 v 14 for the entire match is tough
canta_brian

Post by canta_brian »

Puja wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:44 pm Yeah, that looked a red when I first saw it. New Zealand really behind the 8-ball now.

Puja
I’m surprised they didn’t card Taylor for letting his cheekbone hit the Saffers shoulder as well.
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Puja wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:44 pm Yeah, that looked a red when I first saw it. New Zealand really behind the 8-ball now.

Puja
Is there a case for more mitigation instances where the ball carrier has contributed? A change of direction like that gave the tackler insufficient time to adjust, IMO. The laws were applied correctly as they stand, I suppose, but I think the clash was hard to avoid.
Sourdust

Post by Sourdust »

Even before the red, the immovable object was looking pretty comfortable.

The only time we've seen SA struggle in this RWC has been against teams more negative than they are. The France game might have been close, but they never looked like they weren't enjoying themselves. I don't like what this says about the wider game, although of course it's nothing new.

With that in mind: I came in wanting SA to win - I still do - but if NZ can turn this around it'll be something worth seeing.