European Rugby

Moderator: Sandydragon

Numbers

European Rugby

Post by Numbers »

So the European games kick off this weekend, some interesting fixtures:

Cardiff v Toulouse Champions Cup

Cardiff side:

Jacob Beetham; Josh Adams, Willis Halaholo, Ben Thomas, Mason Grady; Tinus de Beer, Tomos Williams (capt); Rhys Carre, Efan Daniel, Keiron Assiratti, Rory Thornton, Teddy Williams, Shane Lewis-Hughes, Lucas de la Rua, Mackenzie Martin

Replacements: Evan Lloyd, Corey Domachowski, Rhys Litterick, Josh Turnbull, Alun Lawrence, Ellis Bevan , Harri Millard, Owen Lane.

Toulouse side:

Blair Kinghorn; Matthis Lebel, Pierre-Louis Barassi, Pita Ahki, Arthur Retiere; Thomas Ramos, Antoine Dupont (capt); Cyril Baille, Peato Mauvaka, Dorian Aldegheri, Richie Arnold, Emmanuel Meafou, Thibaud Flament, Anthony Jelonch, Roumat.

Replacements: Guillhaum Cramont, Rodrige Neti, Nepo Laulala, Piula Fa'asalele, Alban Placines, Paul Costes, Baptiste Germain, Santiago Chocobares

This looks like a tough fixture for Cardiff, the front row being a possible area of concern, playing away won't help either, Toulouse should win comfortably you'd think.

Player watch: Mackenzie Martin, Lucas de la Rua and Jacob Beetham.

Ospreys v Benetton Challenge Cup

Ospreys:

Iestyn Hopkins; Luke Morgan, George North, Owen Watkin, Keelan Giles; Owen Williams, Reuben Morgan-Williams; Gareth Thomas, Dewi Lake, Tom Botha, James Fender, Adam Beard, Rhys Davies, Jac Morgan, Morgan Morris (capt)

Replacements: Sam Parry, Nicky Smith, Ben Warren, Harri Deaves, Tristan Davies, Luke Davies, Jack Walsh, Mat Protheroe.

Benetton:

Edoardo Padovani; Paolo Odogwu, Ignacio Brex, Malakai Fekitoa, Onisi Ratave; Jacob Umaga, Andy Uren; Thomas Gallo, Gianmarco Lucchesi, Giosue Zilocchi, Niccolo Cannone, Federico Ruzza, Sebastian Negri, Michele Lamaro (capt), Lorenzo Cannone

Replacements: Bautista Bernasconi, Mirco Spagnolo, Filippo Alongi, Gideon Koegelenberg, Riccardo Favretto, Toa Halafihi, Sam Hidalgo-Clyne, Leonardo Marin.

Ospreys should win this one, it looks like a strong side.

Castres v Scarlets Challenge Cup

Castres:

Julien Dumora (capt); Josaia Raisuqe, Adrien Seguret, Vilimoni Botitu, Antoine Bouzerand; Louis le Brun, Jeremy Fernandez; Wayan de Benedittis, Gaetan Barlot, Aurelien Azar, Florent Vanverberghe, Tom Staniforth, Romain Macurdy, Baptiste Cope, Abraham Papalii

Replacements: Pierre Colonna, Antoine Tichit, Levan Chilachava, Leone Nakarawa, Yann Peysson, Gauthier Doubrere, Pierre Popelin, Theo Chabouni.

Scarlets:

Tom Rogers; Steff Evans, Jonathan Davies (capt), Johnny Williams, Ryan Conbeer; Ioan Lloyd, Kieran Hardy; Steff Thomas, Ryan Elias, Joe Jones, Morgan Jones, Jac Price, Ben Williams, Teddy Leatherbarrow, Carwyn Tuipulotu

Replacements: Shaun Evans, Sam O'Connor, Harri O'Connor, Ed Scragg, Iwan Shenton, Archie Hughes, Charlie Titcombe, Ioan Nicholas

This is a tough ask for Scarlets, again I think the front row may struggle, if the ground is hard under foot then they may be in with a shout but I'd go for a Castres win.

Dragons v Oyonnax Challenge Cup

Dragons:

Jordan Williams; Rio Dyer, Sio Tomkinson, Steff Hughes (capt), Ashton Hewitt; Will Reed, Rhodri Williams; Rhodri Jones, Elliot Dee, Lloyd Fairbrother, Joe Davies, George Nott, Ryan Woodman, Harri Keddie, Aaron Wainwright

Replacements: Brodie Coghlan, Aki Seiuli, Chris Coleman, Sean Lonsdale, George Young, Dane Blacker, Harri Ackerman, Corey Baldwin

Oyonnax:

Maxime Salles; Souleymane Coulibaly, Leo Treilles, Pedro Bettencourt, Joe Ravouvou; Jules Soulan, Charlie Cassang; Rory Sutherland, Manu Leiataua, Irakli Mirtskhulava, Victor Lebas, Steve Mafi, Filimo Taofifenua, Hugo Hermet, Loic Godener

Replacements: Julien Ratajczak, Adrien Bordenave, Antonin Corso, Ewan Johnson, Ilan El Khattabi, David Odiase, Alexis Pisani, Thibault Berthaud

This is almost the best team that the Dragons could put out, I think they will get a win with home advantage.

Player watch: Ryan Woodman
Numbers

Re: European Rugby

Post by Numbers »

FYI the Cardiff and Dragons games are both on S4C back to back.
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Nice to see the Ospreys take immediate revenge on Benetton for the week before. Not a game for the defence coaches to be proud of :shock: .A game for fans of the maul really . . . surprising to see Benetton overpowered consistently like that. Ridiculous score for Lake although some of those were really 9-man tries.

Fantastic last 10 minutes of the Dragons match - like a different match really. You could say the floodgates opened.

Cardiff were outclassed, as would any of the Welsh teams been in that match I expect.

Didn't see the Scarlets match but it didn't sound like a fun watch.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:06 am Nice to see the Ospreys take immediate revenge on Benetton for the week before. Not a game for the defence coaches to be proud of :shock: .A game for fans of the maul really . . . surprising to see Benetton overpowered consistently like that. Ridiculous score for Lake although some of those were really 9-man tries.

Fantastic last 10 minutes of the Dragons match - like a different match really. You could say the floodgates opened.

Cardiff were outclassed, as would any of the Welsh teams been in that match I expect.

Didn't see the Scarlets match but it didn't sound like a fun watch.
Yeah, the Ospreys forwards were very good, I was surprised that Oyonnax didn'y bother to use the massive wind to their advantage in the first half of the Dragons game, the wind was so strong that playing field position with some tactical kicking would have seen them score a lot more points which was borne out by watching Reed's restarts, at least two of his dropkicks in the first half curled 20-30 yards straight into touch.

Like you I didn't se the Scarlets match but nothing unexpected results wise, Toulouse were a different level to Cardiff which again wasn't a great surprise.
Son of Mathonwy

It's fair to say the Scarlets scrum let them down a little last night. :o
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:57 am It's fair to say the Scarlets scrum let them down a little last night. :o
That's not a good result, even considering the financial issues we're all facing this season. The clamour to concentrate resources on 2 regions will just become greater.
Son of Mathonwy

Sandydragon wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:09 pm
Son of Mathonwy wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:57 am It's fair to say the Scarlets scrum let them down a little last night. :o
That's not a good result, even considering the financial issues we're all facing this season. The clamour to concentrate resources on 2 regions will just become greater.
Although to be fair to the Scarlets, they had 3 current Welsh internationals vs 7 Georgian internationals.
Son of Mathonwy

Jeez, the Ospreys were hopeless. I'd say outclassed but they the ball into the 22 a lot. They just couldn't get it further than that. They missed Jac Morgan, Morgan Morris, Nagy . . . probably Keiran Williams would have been a help too. Just missing too much quality. Owen Williams was okay though.
Son of Mathonwy

Surprisingly one-sided result for Ospreys/Perpignan. The French seemed too physical for us at first and unlucky not to score in the first half but ultra-solid forward work and Hopkins's fast little legs did for them in the end. Also, Perpignan looked like they'd never player with a ref before, which didn't help their cause. Beautiful try from Giles (yes, Gatland, call him up). Shame we didn't see more than 5 minutes of Lake at 7 . . . although to be more useful for Wales I'd rather see him at 6.

I'm guessing that wasn't the best team Perpignan could have sent, though.
Sourdust

Post by Sourdust »

Quins outclassing Cardiff TBF but you still have to laugh at Frank Murphy or else you'd cry.

"Yes, Joy, I can see that your replays all clearly show what was obvious from the beginning, but unfortunately they make me look like a total idiot so my only recourse is to stick with my original decision."
Sourdust

Post by Sourdust »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:53 pm Surprisingly one-sided result for Ospreys/Perpignan. The French seemed too physical for us at first and unlucky not to score in the first half but ultra-solid forward work and Hopkins's fast little legs did for them in the end. Also, Perpignan looked like they'd never player with a ref before, which didn't help their cause. Beautiful try from Giles (yes, Gatland, call him up). Shame we didn't see more than 5 minutes of Lake at 7 . . . although to be more useful for Wales I'd rather see him at 6.

It was an odd one. We seemed to be riding our luck at best in that first quarter, they were bullying us. But almost as soon as we scored they seemed to lose interest. The final quarter was as comfortable as I can remember feeling at the stadium for a long time, and in the end it was slightly irritating not to get the BP. Hopkins took his tries very handily but Giles was absolutely everywhere, then beat 4 (5?) men for his score. He's finally starting to build some consistency again and yes, he has to be in the mix for the 6N. Not a Gatland type of course, but I'm not sure he has enough options now to ignore form like Giles is showing.

It wasn't USAP's best XXIII, no. But 25-3 is decent against anyone.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Sourdust wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:12 pm
Son of Mathonwy wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:53 pm Surprisingly one-sided result for Ospreys/Perpignan. The French seemed too physical for us at first and unlucky not to score in the first half but ultra-solid forward work and Hopkins's fast little legs did for them in the end. Also, Perpignan looked like they'd never player with a ref before, which didn't help their cause. Beautiful try from Giles (yes, Gatland, call him up). Shame we didn't see more than 5 minutes of Lake at 7 . . . although to be more useful for Wales I'd rather see him at 6.

It was an odd one. We seemed to be riding our luck at best in that first quarter, they were bullying us. But almost as soon as we scored they seemed to lose interest. The final quarter was as comfortable as I can remember feeling at the stadium for a long time, and in the end it was slightly irritating not to get the BP. Hopkins took his tries very handily but Giles was absolutely everywhere, then beat 4 (5?) men for his score. He's finally starting to build some consistency again and yes, he has to be in the mix for the 6N. Not a Gatland type of course, but I'm not sure he has enough options now to ignore form like Giles is showing.

It wasn't USAP's best XXIII, no. But 25-3 is decent against anyone.
A win is a win.
pompey-zebra

Post by pompey-zebra »

Sourdust wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:06 pm Quins outclassing Cardiff TBF but you still have to laugh at Frank Murphy or else you'd cry.

"Yes, Joy, I can see that your replays all clearly show what was obvious from the beginning, but unfortunately they make me look like a total idiot so my only recourse is to stick with my original decision."
I thought we'd have a game on our hands after the first quarter, but Cardiff were outgunned in most areas. Thought they might keep it respectable in.the second half but it turned into a proper stuffing in the end.
Sourdust

Post by Sourdust »

pompey-zebra wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:59 pm Thought they might keep it respectable in.the second half but it turned into a proper stuffing in the end.
47 unanswered points.

'Kin 'ell...
Sourdust

Post by Sourdust »

Scarlets Edinburgh going to script too. Visitors get the bonus point well within the 1st half, despite two yellow cards. Scarlets forwards being shoved backwards in the tackle as if they were playing on roller skates.

I know we have at least a couple of years of this to suffer but I'm not sure it's healthy to keep watching at this point.
Son of Mathonwy

Sourdust wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:55 pm Scarlets Edinburgh going to script too. Visitors get the bonus point well within the 1st half, despite two yellow cards. Scarlets forwards being shoved backwards in the tackle as if they were playing on roller skates.

I know we have at least a couple of years of this to suffer but I'm not sure it's healthy to keep watching at this point.
Did they get over the gainline at any point? No go-forward at all. And that was just Edinburgh they were playing. At PyS.

Still, as far as I could see, no one picked up a season ending injury just before the 6N. That's something.
Sourdust

Post by Sourdust »

I was only able to watch the YouTube highlights of the Lions v Ospreys, but Bloody Nora that's a shot in the arm...

Sadly I was able to watch the whole of Dragons v Sharks. "Operation Win the First Quarter 6-0" went to plan, "Operation Don't Lose The Last Hour 29-3" just fell short.

That said, the Jared Rosser "non-try" was a stinker. I'm a fan of TMO, but the kind of person who thinks they're just jobsworths trying to spoil the fun would do well to get a recording of that. Would have given Dragons a healthy lead, in the rain, against floundering opposition, too.
Wallpaperman

Post by Wallpaperman »

Cracking result for the Ospreys, will watch it on catchup.

Think the Dragons were a little unlucky despite the ultimate score line. Leon Brown was OK at scrum time v the Ox, which was a pleasant surprise
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Wallpaperman wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:33 am Cracking result for the Ospreys, will watch it on catchup.

Think the Dragons were a little unlucky despite the ultimate score line. Leon Brown was OK at scrum time v the Ox, which was a pleasant surprise
Yeah, an excellent siplay considering Ox Nche is one of the most destructive looseheads in world rugby, it was a welcome sight considering our concerns at 3 for the 6N.
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

The Ospreys’ win at Loftus Versfeld looked impressive in the 3-minute highlights reel that I’ve just watched, but not half as unimpressive as the empty enormous stands of that magnificent ground!
Sourdust

Post by Sourdust »

francoisfou wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:44 pm The Ospreys’ win at Loftus Versfeld looked impressive in the 3-minute highlights reel that I’ve just watched, but not half as unimpressive as the empty enormous stands of that magnificent ground!
Not quite sure of my history here; has a Welsh side EVER won at LV before?

It's the ground where 96-13 happened, so to get even such a meagre portion of revenge, and after so long, is still welcome!
Son of Mathonwy

Fantastic Ospreys result. Great start but coming resolutely last place in the scrum, maul and breakdown it looked like it was all over in the second half, especially at high altitude. But no, running, offloading rugby is not an alien concept in Ospreylia, and somehow it was the Welsh that looked like they they were breathing sea-level oxygen in the last 20. Brilliant work at the end from Giles, Keiran Williams, Walsh, Morse, Watkin. (Obviously North was class early on). It was especially welcome given the injury list and the slightly makeshift lineup (Ratti at lock?).

All a wasted effort from a Welsh selection perspective though (even if the squad wasn't already announced) - it was just the sort of running rugby Gatland is uninterested in.
Sourdust

Post by Sourdust »

Sourdust wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:44 pm
francoisfou wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:44 pm The Ospreys’ win at Loftus Versfeld looked impressive in the 3-minute highlights reel that I’ve just watched, but not half as unimpressive as the empty enormous stands of that magnificent ground!
Not quite sure of my history here; has a Welsh side EVER won at LV before?

It's the ground where 96-13 happened, so to get even such a meagre portion of revenge, and after so long, is still welcome!
Oops.

I'm sure your message wasn't the only piece I saw referring to the game having been played at Loftus Versfeld; but apparently it was at Ellis Park as usual for the Lions.

TBF they do look exactly the same on camera! :-)
Tuco Ramirez

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Went on a jolly to watch Bath V Racing a few weeks ago. Awesome experience and matchday atmosphere.... will our "club" sides ever get back to that?