Transfer news, rumours, suggestions, frenzied speculation, and outright lies - Season 2023-24

Moderator: Puja

Which Tyler

Re: Transfer news, rumours, suggestions, frenzied speculation, and outright lies - Season 2023-24

Post by Which Tyler »

francoisfou wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:11 am https://www.rugbyrama.fr/2024/04/01/tra ... 861836.php

Antoine Dupont is the next rugby player tempted to try his luck in the NFL.
After his success with the French 7s team in Los Angeles, NFL star Tom Brady has persuaded him to take the leap, from next season according to the above article, which also says that he'll not stop playing Top14 for Toulouse.
Hmmm. we'll see!
Check the date
Banquo

Re: Transfer news, rumours, suggestions, frenzied speculation, and outright lies - Season 2023-24

Post by Banquo »

Which Tyler wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:27 am
francoisfou wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:11 am https://www.rugbyrama.fr/2024/04/01/tra ... 861836.php

After his success with the French 7s team in Los Angeles, NFL star Tom Brady has persuaded him to take the leap, from next season according to the above article, which also says that he'll not stop playing Top14 for Toulouse.
Hmmm. we'll see!
Check the date
yeah, there's a Dan Cole one doing the rounds.
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

Banquo wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:20 am
Which Tyler wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:27 am

Hmmm. we'll see!
Check the date
yeah, there's a Dan Cole one doing the rounds.
:oops:
Puja

Post by Puja »

Bailey extends with Bath for 2 more seasons.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

I can categorically* state this is an April Fools.

*internet categorically, ie over 90% certain.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Bloody hell. Thought I was replying immediately after Francoisfou
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Mellsblue wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:50 pm Bloody hell. Thought I was replying immediately after Francoisfou
I've done that plenty of times when I havent realised there's a new page
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Fergus Burke confirmed by Saracens. I know Scotland were sniffing around him but I didn’t realise he is English qualified. I’m not advocating him as a potential poach BTW, just a point of interest.
Spiffy

Post by Spiffy »

Scrumhead wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:31 pm Fergus Burke confirmed by Saracens. I know Scotland were sniffing around him but I didn’t realise he is English qualified. I’m not advocating him as a potential poach BTW, just a point of interest.
With a name like that you'd think he'd have an Irish Connection.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Good signing for Sarries. If the rumours around Louis Johnson are also true then that's two good flyhalfs coming in they can build around for the next few years.

Blow for the Crusaders who've been desperate for Burke to recover from injury and return. They'll be actively recruiting for next season now.

Not sure Burke will be getting a sniff around the England side but Sarries would probably prefer him to remain EQ.
Adam_P

Post by Adam_P »

Paul Hill confirmed to be leaving Saints to go to Edinburgh. We're going to have to do some prop shopping!
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I guess we’re just waiting for an announcement he’s Scottish qualified then.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Yeah Paul Hill SQ surely incoming news.

Saints looking for third choice LH and TH props. Shouldn't be to difficult a task, if they don't have a young gun to cover the younger Waller than a fourth choice LH as well (but of Championship shopping sort that on the cheap). We can always send Francois van Wyk back down to you, he's unlikely to be needed at Tigers next season.
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Are Iyogun and Haffar ready to be first and second choice though? Promising as they are, I’d imagine Saints will want an experienced player to compete for the starting spot.
Puja

Post by Puja »

FKAS wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:21 am Yeah Paul Hill SQ surely incoming news.
It's not mentioned in Edinburgh's press release on the signing though, which would've been the opportune time to do it. I think he's just the best foreign player they could lure in.

Puja
Backist Monk
Puja

Post by Puja »

Scrumhead wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:44 pm Are Iyogun and Haffar ready to be first and second choice though? Promising as they are, I’d imagine Saints will want an experienced player to compete for the starting spot.
They're going to be 24 and 23 early in next season - if Saints have faith in them, those are pretty good ages to share the 1 shirt between them. I think the Wallers were of similar ages when Corbisiero retired and they took the reins.

Puja
Backist Monk
jimKRFC

Post by jimKRFC »

Lovejoy Chawatama confirmed as joining Bristol. Hopefully he can help bring the young props through.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

jimKRFC wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:24 pm Lovejoy Chawatama confirmed as joining Bristol. Hopefully he can help bring the young props through.
I'm not sure if he's been injured, but he's only managed 3 starts (in the PRC) in 7 games for Quins. I guess he just never settled in. I was quite excited to see him arrive, as he looked quite handy for Irish.

Who have you got beyond him and Lahiff?
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Puja wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:57 pm
Scrumhead wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:44 pm Are Iyogun and Haffar ready to be first and second choice though? Promising as they are, I’d imagine Saints will want an experienced player to compete for the starting spot.
They're going to be 24 and 23 early in next season - if Saints have faith in them, those are pretty good ages to share the 1 shirt between them. I think the Wallers were of similar ages when Corbisiero retired and they took the reins.

Puja
That's it. They are both coming towards their mid twenties when they should be demanding game time. Iyogen is also closing in on 50 games for Saints. Haffar has played less senior rugby but has bigger potential. A first choice LH will be expensive, a solid squad man won't and should be able to hold things together if needed.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Puja wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:45 pm
FKAS wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:21 am Yeah Paul Hill SQ surely incoming news.
It's not mentioned in Edinburgh's press release on the signing though, which would've been the opportune time to do it. I think he's just the best foreign player they could lure in.

Puja
Now the South African teams have some more funding I suppose the normal prop recruitment pathway is blocked.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Mikey Brown wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:36 pm
jimKRFC wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:24 pm Lovejoy Chawatama confirmed as joining Bristol. Hopefully he can help bring the young props through.
I'm not sure if he's been injured, but he's only managed 3 starts (in the PRC) in 7 games for Quins. I guess he just never settled in. I was quite excited to see him arrive, as he looked quite handy for Irish.

Good signing for Brizzle - probably a hell of a lot cheaper than Sinckler and, if he's fit, probably a bit more effective. They've also got Kloska, as well as Halliwell as the youngster coming through - too young for regular rugby, but probably capable of being 4th choice and having a few games off the bench next season.

Puja
Backist Monk
jimKRFC

Post by jimKRFC »

Mikey Brown wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:36 pm

As Puja mentioned after Lahiff it's Kloska, one of the Benz-Solomons (forget which one) and Halliwell. Kloska is starting to look pretty decent as well so more game time for hopefully!

Santiago Grondona has also extended his stay, hopefully he'll actually play soon....
Puja

Post by Puja »

Cokanasiga and Underhill both re-sign with Bath, which is good news as they're finally building something there and I want to see how it goes rather than being pulled apart. Also, Louie Johnson is finally confirmed as going to Sarries - hope he and Brantingham don't prove Angry SteveyD right about getting lost in the bigger squad with Burke and Carre joining at the same time.

Off-topic, saw an article the other day saying that Carre's grandfather came from Guernsey, which means he would be available for any of the home nations come 2026, a la Budge Poutney. Don't think England or Ireland will be after him, but I wouldn't be surprised if Scotland had him on their Exiles register.

Puja
Backist Monk
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Good call on Carre re Scotland.

Phil Cokanasiga confirmed as leaving Tigers at the end of the season to join Ospreys.