America

Sandydragon

Re: America

Post by Sandydragon »

There is something fundamentally wrong with American political parties where the candidates seem to own them rather than represent them.
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Sandydragon wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 9:36 am There is something fundamentally wrong with American political parties where the candidates seem to own them rather than represent them.
Yep. Not the only fundamental problem with US politics though.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

paddy no 11 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 9:33 am Step forward Taylor swift
This might actually be the most realistic solution I've heard. I don't think she would even need to state any sort of policy.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 9:49 am
Sandydragon wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 9:36 am There is something fundamentally wrong with American political parties where the candidates seem to own them rather than represent them.
Agreed. Its fucked. I dont entirely blame the republicans for it, its been a slow erosion over decades. But the thought that they are about to elect a dictator (by Trumps own words) with immunity, is terrifying. The only hope is that people hold their nose and vote Biden.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Puja wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:48 pm
paddy no 11 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:02 pm
Puja wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 7:29 pm

They won't. Biden holds enough sway in the DNC and will keep insisting that he's done a good job and is owed loyalty and that he beat Trump in 2020 so it'll happen again in 2024, and he'll keep going right the way to the end and fuck it up for everybody because he fails to see that it is utterly irrelevant if he is still competent, it is utterly irrelevant if he's done a good job, it is utterly irrelevant if he's underappreciated for what he's accomplished - the only thing that is relevant is that the perception has taken hold in the US populace that he is a doddering, senile old fool and there is literally nothing that can be done to dispel that from here.

What is most notable during this period is how incredibly quiet Trump and the Trumpettes have been. They don't want a change in the Democratic candidate, not one bit. The campaign must've confiscated the Orange Man's phone to stop him from tweeting, cause you know full well that he wants to be crowing and mocking and bullying right now, but they've somehow kept him quiet.

Puja
He needs to be +4 to beat the electoral college, democracy in the U.S. be toast unless they change

The decisions this week from the supreme court are going to give the dems a look into their apocalyptic future and pennies will be dropping everywhere

Apparently monies raised for biden can't be transferred...... which is a problem I suppose
https://www.ipsos.com/en-us/only-michel ... biden-2024

Polling coming out today that none of the other Dem names would do better than Biden against Trump (aside from the fantasy pick of Michelle Obama). It's bullshit, because the reason they're not polling well is because they've had no national exposure, no campaign, and half of America doesn't know who the likes of Gavin Newsom are so there's no name recognition (see also M.Obama polling ridiculously highly, despite her not wanting it and having few of the bona fides), but the fact that it's been released and publicised shows that Biden intends to fight on and the Dems won't resist because, "the numbers show no-one else would do better."

Puja
ALthough its a reasonable point to raise given the lack of time before the election. Someone like Newsom would have to be very quick out of the blocks to raise money and get some support. Harris would be the alternative candidate with the most legitimacy, but she too isnt likely to be seen that well.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Sandydragon wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 4:02 pm
Puja wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:48 pm
paddy no 11 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:02 pm

He needs to be +4 to beat the electoral college, democracy in the U.S. be toast unless they change

The decisions this week from the supreme court are going to give the dems a look into their apocalyptic future and pennies will be dropping everywhere

Apparently monies raised for biden can't be transferred...... which is a problem I suppose
https://www.ipsos.com/en-us/only-michel ... biden-2024

Polling coming out today that none of the other Dem names would do better than Biden against Trump (aside from the fantasy pick of Michelle Obama). It's bullshit, because the reason they're not polling well is because they've had no national exposure, no campaign, and half of America doesn't know who the likes of Gavin Newsom are so there's no name recognition (see also M.Obama polling ridiculously highly, despite her not wanting it and having few of the bona fides), but the fact that it's been released and publicised shows that Biden intends to fight on and the Dems won't resist because, "the numbers show no-one else would do better."

Puja
ALthough its a reasonable point to raise given the lack of time before the election. Someone like Newsom would have to be very quick out of the blocks to raise money and get some support. Harris would be the alternative candidate with the most legitimacy, but she too isnt likely to be seen that well.
Not as though a new Democrat candidate who was the only realistic opponent to Trump would have to work particularly hard to get funding or airtime though.

Puja
Backist Monk
Son of Mathonwy

Sandydragon wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 11:21 am
Agreed. Its fucked. I dont entirely blame the republicans for it, its been a slow erosion over decades. But the thought that they are about to elect a dictator (by Trumps own words) with immunity, is terrifying. The only hope is that people hold their nose and vote Biden.
The Dems haven't tried hard enough to fix things (ie most of them have been too accepting of the status quo) but it's the Republicans who've been pushing the envelope . . . all the way to dictatorship it seems.

I'm still hoping that Biden will be convinced to stand down. Obama needs to tell him straight - he's got nothing to gain or lose. If there's a slow buildup of calls from Democrats and bad polls then the penny might drop.
morepork

Post by morepork »

Don't even joke man.
morepork

Post by morepork »

He has to step aside. Attempt the try from the end of the world rather than the endless fruitless maul.
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

Seems biden is going on a 72hr charge and also waiting on Polling in swing states, he could be gone early next week
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

If watching this, I recommend setting the playback speed to approximately 90%
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 4:30 pm
Sandydragon wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 11:21 am
The Dems haven't tried hard enough to fix things (ie most of them have been too accepting of the status quo) but it's the Republicans who've been pushing the envelope . . . all the way to dictatorship it seems.

I'm still hoping that Biden will be convinced to stand down. Obama needs to tell him straight - he's got nothing to gain or lose. If there's a slow buildup of calls from Democrats and bad polls then the penny might drop.
I blame both sides for the breakdown in consensus and the inability to work constructively across party lines. But I would put the
Majority of the
Blame on the republicans who have been steadily embracing the batshit mad right for years.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

May I recommend ‘How Democracies Die’ by Stephen Levitsky? I read it a few years ago and it’s a shame that the democrats and sensible republicans appear to have ignored it.
Puja

Post by Puja »

morepork wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 4:43 pm
Don't even joke man.
I would fucking take it right now.

Puja
Backist Monk
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

I thought the board had moved on from the "would you?" posts
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

Which Tyler wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 8:32 pm If watching this, I recommend setting the playback speed to approximately 90%
Yeesh, would like to see one from this guy on the decision on federal bodies having to go to court
Son of Mathonwy

Which Tyler wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 8:32 pm If watching this, I recommend setting the playback speed to approximately 90%
Is this how democracy breaks in the USA? The supreme court was the weak point?
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 2:20 pm
Is this how democracy breaks in the USA? The supreme court was the weak point?
I think the weak point was the assumption that everyone would not cross the red lines. Trump hasn’t met a rule he hasn’t wanted to break. It’s ironic that the same people who hold up the constitution as a near religious document are those who are busy shredding it.
morepork

Post by morepork »

The weak point is the executive branch, which the judicial branch is supposed to check. Stalemate. The ongoing experiment continues at pace. Welcome to candidate priority. The US needs to stop the Founding Fathers circle jerk. Now.
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

Biden war chest could be used by kamala Harris

If Biden fails this interview he'll be gone
cashead

Post by cashead »

Any system in which a candidate can lose the popular vote by 3000000+ and still be declared the winner is fundamentally broken to begin with.

It's broken and it will stay broken because there's no will to actually fix shit.

One step closer to an IRL version of the CyberPunk TTRPG.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Shame on you, sweet Nerevar
morepork

Post by morepork »

He's gone full sad walking cliche.
Puja

Post by Puja »

More details on Project 2025 and it's all so much worse: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1807 ... 24403.html

Puja
Backist Monk
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

I've an American friend who's doing heroic work of actually reading the whole thing, bit by bit.

She's obviously up to the childcare provisions bit.
Yesterday's highligh was: all contraception to be banned (condoms are murder folks).
Today's is: all children under 18 who are donor conceived and don’t live in a male-female parent situation will be removed and placed into foster care.

The whole thing seems to be "kill the Taliban, steal their ideas, turn them up to 11"
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Which Tyler wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 6:39 pm I've an American friend who's doing heroic work of actually reading the whole thing, bit by bit.

She's obviously up to the childcare provisions bit.
Yesterday's highligh was: all contraception to be banned (condoms are murder folks).
Today's is: all children under 18 who are donor conceived and don’t live in a male-female parent situation will be removed and placed into foster care.

The whole thing seems to be "kill the Taliban, steal their ideas, turn them up to 11"
Sounds like someone watched The Handmaids Tale and considered it prophecy rather than dystopian fiction.