What on earth is happening in French rugby?

Puja

What on earth is happening in French rugby?

Post by Puja »

A day after Jaminet is booted from the Argentina tour for recording a video saying he'd "headbutt the next Arab I see on the road," two more of the touring party have just been arrested for sexual assault. This, combined with the disgusting actions of Haouas (and Montpellier not only giving him a new contract, but signing Hogg to give him a domestic abuse buddy to play with), and Hounkpatin, is not a good look for French rugby

What's happening? Is it just a fluke run of appalling people, with no common thread, or is there some culture issue within the game that needs sorting, pronto?

Puja
Backist Monk
Which Tyler

Re: What on earth is happening in French rugby?

Post by Which Tyler »

Puja wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:17 amWhat's happening? Is it just a fluke run of appalling people, with no common thread, or is there some culture issue within the game that needs sorting, pronto?
TBF, there's a cultural issue within France that needs sorting.
The fascists should NOT be this close to power, this year, or any of the previous 3-4 elections that have necessitated tactical voting.
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

Worrying times, indeed. However, one would have thought that Galthié and his management team would have given each and every new tourist, whatever their age, a detailed low down on what’s certainly not acceptable on tour.
Puja

Post by Puja »

francoisfou wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 2:28 pm Worrying times, indeed. However, one would have thought that Galthié and his management team would have given each and every new tourist, whatever their age, a detailed low down on what’s certainly not acceptable on tour.
Frankly, I can't blame them if they thought that "don't rape anybody" was so basic that it went without saying.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mr Mwenda

Post by Mr Mwenda »

Any idea where on the political spectrum the stereotypical french rugby player/fan is? I seem to recall Harinordoquy had some unsavoury views. I was saddened when I read that Perpignan had a FN mayor, but maybe that's typical of rugby heartland southern France.
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

Mr Mwenda wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 6:11 pm Any idea where on the political spectrum the stereotypical french rugby player/fan is? I seem to recall Harinordoquy had some unsavoury views. I was saddened when I read that Perpignan had a FN mayor, but maybe that's typical of rugby heartland southern France.
There's been some unsavoury behaviour from some Perpignan supporters this year which was roundly condemned by the Perpignan club and I believe they were planning to ban the miscreants. The Ligue National de Rugby fined the club a paltry €15,000.
I think that Perpignan has had a Rassemblement National (ex National Front) mayor for a while now but elsewhere, like Toulouse, Pau, Bayonne, Biarritz, the far right have little support.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I hadn't realised the extent of the allegations here.

Not a pleasant read. The URL probably tells you enough.

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/2 ... ers-lawyer
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

I should have taken your advice and stopped with just the URL / headline.

Horrendous, even IF consensual
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

Those lads could be looking at some hard time be a cop on to every other touring team not that it should be necessary