Wales team v Australia 2nd test

Moderator: Sandydragon

pompey-zebra

Wales team v Australia 2nd test

Post by pompey-zebra »

Wales: Cameron Winnett; Liam Williams, Owen Watkin, Mason Grady, Rio Dyer; Ben Thomas, Ellis Bevan; Gareth Thomas, Dewi Lake (c), Archie Griffin, Christ Tshiunza, Dafydd Jenkins, James Botham, Tommy Reffell, Taine Plumtree.

Replacements: Evan Lloyd, Kemsley Mathias, Harri O'Connor, Cory Hill, Mackenzie Martin, Kieran Hardy, Sam Costelow, Nick Tompkins.

Earlier fail reports slightly wide of the mark, as Thomas does start, winnett starts at 15 in place of Williams who replaces Hathaway in the wing. Botham comes in at 6 with plumtree at 8 ( Martin comes in on the bench)
normanski

Re: Wales team v Australia 2nd test

Post by normanski »

The news that Australia’s captain Wright is out and is replaced by a first cap rookie will help our cause.

It’s the front row I worry about. They will really have to step up on Saturday. Griffin looks a fine prospect but up against Slipper he will have another difficult time.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

If Thomas can’t improve beyond being a trip hazard for the Aussie tight head then it’s gonna be another long evening. The set piece must operate better or else we just won’t have a hope.

I kind of agree with keeping the back line as it was, barring the injury replacement. They had so little quality ball at times that they were just unable to prove that much. Hopefully that changes.

I don’t think our pack will be making as many meters without Wainwright, but maybe it will be able to slow down the Aussie ball a bit with Botham on as well.
normanski

Post by normanski »

One positive from Saturday was our driving maul. I know the Aussies will work on their defence for that but it could still provide points/penalties for us. We just need Lake to get his throws straight and accurate.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

normanski wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 10:01 am One positive from Saturday was our driving maul. I know the Aussies will work on their defence for that but it could still provide points/penalties for us. We just need Lake to get his throws straight and accurate.
Absolutely. Slight timing issue on the second which was a shame but our main weapon at the moment. Lake has got to work on his throwing. We kept going for the safe option last weekend because his throwing was off and that makes it easier to defend/ intercept.