America

Son of Mathonwy

Re: America

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

morepork wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 4:17 pm Another domino falls. Kindy Judy-Karen is emboldened beyond her experience and remit. If the Georgia electoral interference case goes down the same path the republic is in dire straits. History in the making but I find it hard to muster enthusiasm for being in the thick of it. Thank fuck for the civil rights act. Last barrier standing soon.
I'm sure it's on their list.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

‘We’re not gonna take it anymore’. Even the more reasonable republicans seem to be buying into this victim hood narrative. The attempted assassination was the result of the Democrats constantly going after Trump.

The logic here is totally fucked up. But I still can’t see how the Dems can counter it at the moment without a radical reset.
Son of Mathonwy

Sandydragon wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 6:55 am ‘We’re not gonna take it anymore’. Even the more reasonable republicans seem to be buying into this victim hood narrative. The attempted assassination was the result of the Democrats constantly going after Trump.

The logic here is totally fucked up. But I still can’t see how the Dems can counter it at the moment without a radical reset.
We have to be thankful that a) the shooter was a white, straight, male etc Republican, and b) Trump isn't actually President right now, otherwise this could be a Reichstag Fire moment for the US. As it is, if he takes power he could still use it as an excuse to dial up the police state. - impose whatever restrictions he feels would be helpful to him. Perhaps on political rivals.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I'm not posting this simply as a 'gotcha' against Trump, it's always been more than clear he couldn't give less of a shit about any of his supporters, but the language used is sort of fascinating.

https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-j ... ly-1925577
The widow of Corey Comperatore, the heroic volunteer firefighter killed while shielding his family during the shooting at a Donald Trump campaign rally, said that the former president has not reached out to the grieving family.

The silence from Trump contrasts with an attempted call from President Joe Biden, which the Comperatore family declined. Helen Comperatore, speaking from her home in Sarver, Pennsylvania, told the New York Post in an exclusive interview, "I didn't talk to Biden. I didn't want to talk to him," adding, "My husband was a devout Republican and he would not have wanted me to talk to him."
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Mikey Brown wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 8:33 am I'm not posting this simply as a 'gotcha' against Trump, it's always been more than clear he couldn't give less of a shit about any of his supporters, but the language used is sort of fascinating.

The widow of Corey Comperatore, the heroic volunteer firefighter killed while shielding his family during the shooting at a Donald Trump campaign rally, said that the former president has not reached out to the grieving family.

The silence from Trump contrasts with an attempted call from President Joe Biden, which the Comperatore family declined. Helen Comperatore, speaking from her home in Sarver, Pennsylvania, told the New York Post in an exclusive interview, "I didn't talk to Biden. I didn't want to talk to him," adding, "My husband was a devout Republican and he would not have wanted me to talk to him."
Biden is one of 'them'. Apparently, on election nights many republicans and democrats used to have election parties, freely mixing to review the result. Now they are using the language of mortal conflict. I assume Mrs Comperatore is a fairly normal person; the fact that she can't take a call from her president who wishes to express his sympathy because he is a democrat is deeply worrying.

A few assumptions in that statement, but I agree with Mikey that the language is disturbing.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Sandydragon wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 9:55 am
Mikey Brown wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 8:33 am I'm not posting this simply as a 'gotcha' against Trump, it's always been more than clear he couldn't give less of a shit about any of his supporters, but the language used is sort of fascinating.

Biden is one of 'them'. Apparently, on election nights many republicans and democrats used to have election parties, freely mixing to review the result. Now they are using the language of mortal conflict. I assume Mrs Comperatore is a fairly normal person; the fact that she can't take a call from her president who wishes to express his sympathy because he is a democrat is deeply worrying.

A few assumptions in that statement, but I agree with Mikey that the language is disturbing.
And the language of religion - a "devout" Republican, which suggests it would be a *sin* to accept condolences from a Democrat President.

Puja
Backist Monk
Son of Mathonwy

Puja wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 10:27 am

And the language of religion - a "devout" Republican, which suggests it would be a *sin* to accept condolences from a Democrat President.

Puja
It's a shame.

Although I can sort of understand by imagining myself in her position being called by Prime Minister Boris Johnson. :|
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 12:59 pm

Puja
It's a shame.

Although I can sort of understand by imagining myself in her position being called by Prime Minister Boris Johnson. :|
The role of a PM or President is sometimes to pass on commiserations. Brown and Blair wrote to and spoke to the families of plenty of British soldiers who died in Iraq and Afghanistan. Most had the good grace to differentiate between the person, their party and the office.

Noting that Johnson was a despicable character. Would you have accepted a call from say Theresa May under those circumstances?
Puja

Post by Puja »

Puja
It's a shame.

I was picturing that myself and thinking I might not take a call from Liz Truss in a similar situation, but I think the major difference is that I wouldn't take it because I thought they were a fucking idiot and didn't see what I'd get from it, rather than because of their identity as a Conservative. And, tbh, I'd probably still take the call.

ETA, cause Sandy posted while my internet was down and hit the nail on the head - it's less about the person and more about their office at that point. Especially for the Yanks where the President is their head of state - it's effectively the official condolences of the United States, rather than the petty person occupying the offices at the time.

Puja
Backist Monk
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Puja wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 3:09 pm

Puja
It's a shame.

I was picturing that myself and thinking I might not take a call from Liz Truss in a similar situation, but I think the major difference is that I wouldn't take it because I thought they were a fucking idiot and didn't see what I'd get from it, rather than because of their identity as a Conservative. And, tbh, I'd probably still take the call.

ETA, cause Sandy posted while my internet was down and hit the nail on the head - it's less about the person and more about their office at that point. Especially for the Yanks where the President is their head of state - it's effectively the official condolences of the United States, rather than the petty person occupying the offices at the time.

Puja
Agreed. If I had lost a relative to covid and I received a call from Boris (knowing what we now know about his partying antics), I think it would be difficult to take. But that would be a very personal thing, nothing to do with his party allegiance. If Biden had in some way been directly responsible for the death, or had taken the piss like Boris did, then I would totally understand the reaction.

Equally, she is probably still in shock so trying to read too much into this might be a mistake.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Backist Monk
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Puja wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 4:41 pm
He’s also referred to the UK as the first Islamist state to have nuclear weapons following Labours general election victory.

Sounds like a typically ill informed MAGA knob
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Sandydragon wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 5:34 pm
He’s also referred to the UK as the first Islamist state to have nuclear weapons following Labours general election victory.

I’m not sure he cares about the MAGA cult at all to be honest, it’s just a useful vehicle, though maybe that doesn’t differentiate him anyway.

Hadn’t heard of this guy before, but this seems to be the vibe.

https://sfstandard.com/opinion/2024/07/ ... wants-him/
morepork

Post by morepork »

Even worse, he was put there by Peter Thiel. Not fucking good.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Mikey Brown wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 7:29 pm

I’m not sure he cares about the MAGA cult at all to be honest, it’s just a useful vehicle, though maybe that doesn’t differentiate him anyway.

Hadn’t heard of this guy before, but this seems to be the vibe.

https://sfstandard.com/opinion/2024/07/ ... wants-him/
If Trump wins, theres the next generation of MAGA type Republican. He might not be totally sold on Trumop but like all the others he will kiss the ring and bend the knee if it means that he can get ahead.
Son of Mathonwy

Sandydragon wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 2:07 pm

Puja
It's a shame.

The role of a PM or President is sometimes to pass on commiserations. Brown and Blair wrote to and spoke to the families of plenty of British soldiers who died in Iraq and Afghanistan. Most had the good grace to differentiate between the person, their party and the office.

Noting that Johnson was a despicable character. Would you have accepted a call from say Theresa May under those circumstances?
Possibly. I might even have taken the call from Johnson. It's hard imagine how one would react, that's all I'm saying.
Son of Mathonwy

JD Vance: “We are effectively run in this country…by a bunch of childless cat ladies who are miserable at their own lives and the choices that they’ve made. And they want to make the rest of the country miserable too.”
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I'm wary of posting random bullshit from Reddit/Tiktok but this is quite interesting to see, assuming it is accurate at all. You'd think one in the eye probably would have done it.

Given all the chat about it being a setup or the "hahaha incel boy wasn't good enough shot for the military" chat, it's crazy to see how close it really was. Teflon Don really is something else.
Son of Mathonwy

I'm not sure even Putin has a judge as tame as this:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ule-of-law

It is looking like precident doesn't really exist any more. Anything can be overturned.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Mikey Brown wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 9:05 am I'm wary of posting random bullshit from Reddit/Tiktok but this is quite interesting to see, assuming it is accurate at all. You'd think one in the eye probably would have done it.

Given all the chat about it being a setup or the "hahaha incel boy wasn't good enough shot for the military" chat, it's crazy to see how close it really was. Teflon Don really is something else.
At 200m or less, and assuming the rifle is properly sighted, it’s hard to miss a target that size.

But the shooter was inexperienced and probably jacked full of adrenaline and Trump did move.

But yeah, very close. If the shooter had gone for the chest he could have really struggled to miss
Eugene Wrayburn

Post by Eugene Wrayburn »

Trump really is the luckiest motherfucker in American political history.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

NS. Gone but not forgotten.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

And now Biden has covid. Jesus christ.
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Mikey Brown wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 9:20 am And now Biden has covid. Jesus christ.
A conspiracy theory we can all get behind, at last!
It was so much easier to blame Them. It was bleakly depressing to think They were Us. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Donny osmond wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 10:27 am
Mikey Brown wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 9:20 am And now Biden has covid. Jesus christ.
A conspiracy theory we can all get behind, at last!
Could this be the medical excuse Biden is looking for? I don't wish the man any ill. I would like him to step aside and perhaps a dose of covid might remind him that he's getting weaker and no longer up to it.

What I'm struggling to understand is why the leadership of the Democrats is pushing so hard to get him nominated set in concrete? I know that there is a need to register a Democratic candidate in states before a cut-off date, but I understand that to be early August. This insistence on ignoring the issue of Biden's capability to hold high office moving forward is plain dumb.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Eugene Wrayburn wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 11:45 pm Trump really is the luckiest motherfucker in American political history.
He's certainly on a roll, and he's looking like he's both lucky and a winner.