America

Puja

Re: America

Post by Puja »

Coco wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 11:37 am
paddy no 11 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 9:04 am Oh the gop is running scared, straight to the courts to try and block Harris using biden funds

Meanwhile there biggest attack on Harris is that she laughs a lot, I'm like isn't it great to hear her laugh, there's enough misery out there

Oul JD is tanking btw -6 negative impact for a vp pick the lowest since 1980, he'll probably get fired, lol
Their biggest attacks on Kamala are yet to come.

Border crisis
Her record as AG in California

and more... there is a lot to work with.
A Republican Congressman has already introduced comedic articles of impeachment based on her being "the Border Czar" which is a) not a real job, b) was never her job. They're determined to try and sell the story of this, regardless of any facts in the matter.

I'm feeling relatively hopeful for once - there's a lot of anti-Trump sentiment that was being drowned out by people being being even more turned off by Biden's perceived senility, so a chunk of the polling was going for him as the lesser of two evils (as was the majority of Biden's polling tbf). With Biden gone, there's a lot of voters now in play and Kamala's weaknesses only have to be less weak than Trump's age/confusion, authoritarianism, felonies/ethical issues, and abortion weaknesses. And Trump is not good at reaching out to people outside of his own clan.

Puja
Backist Monk
J Dory

Post by J Dory »

Will there be a debate?
Puja

Post by Puja »

J Dory wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 1:55 pm Will there be a debate?
Still up in the air - Trump is saying that he wants to honour the September slot he was scheduled to have with Biden, but who knows if that's anywhere even adjacent to the truth.

Harris should be pushing for as many debates as she can get, IMO. She wants every opportunity to get her name and face out there, get known to people and set out her brand, as well as having every opportunity to let Trump talk where casual voters can hear him.

Puja
Backist Monk
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Puja wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 3:55 pm
paddy no 11 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:19 pm I think vance is stinking the place out so far. Throwing out crazy statements etc

He's also pitching himself as the next don and there's only room for 1 messiah on the ticket, he's hoovering up fcuk all casual voters I'd say
I heard it proposed that Vance was picked because Trump was overconfident - rather than picking a strategically valuable VP of a sane(ish), equable, Christian who could reassure casuals that an adult was in the room (Mike Pence 2.0, if you will), he thought that he was guaranteed a victory against Biden and doubled down on MAGA lunacy. Makes sense to me.

Puja
That seems to be the case. Vance certainly doesn’t balance the ticket
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Puja wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 2:47 pm
Still up in the air - Trump is saying that he wants to honour the September slot he was scheduled to have with Biden, but who knows if that's anywhere even adjacent to the truth.

Harris should be pushing for as many debates as she can get, IMO. She wants every opportunity to get her name and face out there, get known to people and set out her brand, as well as having every opportunity to let Trump talk where casual voters can hear him.

Puja
Totally agree. She isn’t the best debater, or wasn’t in the democratic nomination race last time out but she is sane and can make a coherent argument.

The more exposure she gets the better.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Anyone else think that the Kamala meme around her saying, "You didn't just fall out of a coconut tree" that's been going around, is a trap that's been deliberately planted to ensnare Trump? I cannot believe that his brain does not look at footage of a woman of colour saying that and doesn't think something racist and, given his complete lack of filter, it's only a matter of time before it comes out of his mouth. I wonder if it's a deliberate attempt to try and goad him into saying it in public?

Puja
Backist Monk
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Seen a lot of stuff (memes, t-shirts) linking Harris and blow jobs. Beyond the "men" of the American right proving themselves to be pathetic little boys, I've no idea where it's coming from, but it's horrible to see.
It was so much easier to blame Them. It was bleakly depressing to think They were Us. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

Donny osmond wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 10:13 am Seen a lot of stuff (memes, t-shirts) linking Harris and blow jobs. Beyond the "men" of the American right proving themselves to be pathetic little boys, I've no idea where it's coming from, but it's horrible to see.
Some Reps allege she performed a sex act on a man in a movie theatre how this is a thing I don't know
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

paddy no 11 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 10:23 am
Donny osmond wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 10:13 am Seen a lot of stuff (memes, t-shirts) linking Harris and blow jobs. Beyond the "men" of the American right proving themselves to be pathetic little boys, I've no idea where it's coming from, but it's horrible to see.
Some Reps allege she performed a sex act on a man in a movie theatre how this is a thing I don't know
Quite a bit of that going on, which the Reps should be well aware of….
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

It’s certainly nasty. I expect it to get worse. The only good thing that I can see is that it properly reveals the MAGA crowd in their full colours and might sway moderate republicans and floating voters.
Puja

Post by Puja »

paddy no 11 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 10:23 am
Woman in "having sex" scandal!

Puja
Backist Monk
Stom

Post by Stom »

I just watched a video about trump’s economic plans.

And…damn. They’re surprisingly a lot closer to what I would do than any politician I’ve seen for a while. I can see why it’s popular.

Only one major, glaring problem: the reduction in corporation tax.

But putting major tariffs on imports and reducing/eliminating income tax would be amazing.

That’s where we diverge, though, as I would put massive dividend tax on, plus raise corporation tax and exclude certain small business from that (plus funds a way to have a lower dividend tax on investments in small business)
Puja

Post by Puja »

Stom wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 1:13 pm I just watched a video about trump’s economic plans.

And…damn. They’re surprisingly a lot closer to what I would do than any politician I’ve seen for a while. I can see why it’s popular.

Only one major, glaring problem: the reduction in corporation tax.

But putting major tariffs on imports and reducing/eliminating income tax would be amazing.

That’s where we diverge, though, as I would put massive dividend tax on, plus raise corporation tax and exclude certain small business from that (plus funds a way to have a lower dividend tax on investments in small business)
The problem is that they're absolute clownshoes when placed in the context of the massive structural issues in the US economy that Trump either has no intention of fixing, or intends on actively making worse. Eliminating/reducing income tax sounds great until you look at it being combined with rising cost of student debt, healthcare, the completely inadequate childcare system, housing, etc. Looks like a tax cut for the poor, but when basic essential needs go up, the whole paycheque is still swallowed by them (and then some) and it just turns out to be benefitting the rich all along (especially given those who cannot work because of childcare see no benefit from reduced income tax).

Most worrying is the plans to gut all safety and environmental protection. From a macroeconomic perspective, it leaves the country reactive rather than proactive and is false short-term economy - saving pennies, but then having to spend millions on things like the train at East Palestine. From a personal perspective, it's another cost on the working person if their town turns into the new Flint and those not rich enough to move out get to suffer and die.

This is not to mention that it's entirely unfunded - just like in his first term, Trump plans on cutting taxes and spamming economic go buttons, while ladling it all onto the national debt to be some future person's problem. It worked for him while it didn't work for Truss, because the dollar is the world's reserve currency, but it still doesn't make it a good idea.

Puja
Backist Monk
Stom

Post by Stom »

Well sure, but in isolation, the concepts are good. And I do have the opinion that income tax on wages is a stupid idea, anyway.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Stom wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 3:37 pm Well sure, but in isolation, the concepts are good. And I do have the opinion that income tax on wages is a stupid idea, anyway.
What tax would you replace it with, if you were king of the world?

Puja
Backist Monk
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Puja wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 4:22 pm
Stom wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 3:37 pm Well sure, but in isolation, the concepts are good. And I do have the opinion that income tax on wages is a stupid idea, anyway.

Puja
Personally, I would tax the living jesus out of people who go to the gym and TAKE THEIR SHOES OFF WHILE THEY WORK OUT.
It was so much easier to blame Them. It was bleakly depressing to think They were Us. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Stom

Post by Stom »

Puja
Dividend tax and corporation tax.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Stom wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:55 pm

Puja
Wouldn't everyone just set up a company and pay themselves enough salary so their corporation made no profit?

Puja
Backist Monk
Stom

Post by Stom »

Puja wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 8:39 pm

Puja
Wouldn't everyone just set up a company and pay themselves enough salary so their corporation made no profit?

Puja
I have zero problem with that. I have a problem with companies making insane profits.

If Joe blogs sets up a company and pays himself a massive salary tax free, I’m happy, as he’s going to put that into the local economy. Who need to buy goods to sell, which means more money into the wider economy.

Ok, I do get the idea of income tax. But it shouldn’t be as much as it is in many countries. And salary tax I don’t like: I want to encourage companies to employ.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Stom wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 9:24 pm
Puja wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 8:39 pm

Puja
I have zero problem with that. I have a problem with companies making insane profits.

If Joe blogs sets up a company and pays himself a massive salary tax free, I’m happy, as he’s going to put that into the local economy. Who need to buy goods to sell, which means more money into the wider economy.

Ok, I do get the idea of income tax. But it shouldn’t be as much as it is in many countries. And salary tax I don’t like: I want to encourage companies to employ.
Is he though? Wouldn't it just get socked into offshore accounts, the same way wealth is currently?

Puja
Backist Monk
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Yeah it’s a nice idea but it doesn’t seem realistic. You can’t rely on people not to take the option that benefits them the most financially.

If you have the means you can pay for someone to tell you how to hide it, buy property to rent out to somebody poorer than you or invest in the continued collapse of living standards. It’s the smart thing to do, sadly.
Eugene Wrayburn

Post by Eugene Wrayburn »

Sandydragon wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 9:43 pm

Puja
Totally agree. She isn’t the best debater, or wasn’t in the democratic nomination race last time out but she is sane and can make a coherent argument.

There's a world of difference between a 10 person debate stage and a one on one cross examination. She'll crucify him. Even better, people think she's not great so the expectations aren't high. My bet is on Trump wimping out unless he's losing substantially in the polls.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

NS. Gone but not forgotten.
morepork

Post by morepork »

Eugene Wrayburn wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 12:57 am

Puja

There's a world of difference between a 10 person debate stage and a one on one cross examination. She'll crucify him. Even better, people think she's not great so the expectations aren't high. My bet is on Trump wimping out unless he's losing substantially in the polls.
Yep
Puja

Post by Puja »

Eugene Wrayburn wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 12:57 am

Puja

The hope has to be that he's as stupid and easily baited as he appears to be and can be lured by accusations of "being chicken".

Puja
Backist Monk
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Eugene Wrayburn wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 12:57 amMy bet is on Trump wimping out unless he's losing substantially in the polls.
Already has.
He's withdrawn from the September debate, on the grounds that the Dems "might change their minds again" despite being 100% locked in from August 7th (IIRC)