Transfer news, rumours, suggestions, frenzied speculation, and outright lies - Season 2023-24

Moderator: Puja

Epaminondas Pules

Re: Transfer news, rumours, suggestions, frenzied speculation, and outright lies - Season 2023-24

Post by Epaminondas Pules »

ilovelamp wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 2:40 pm Solomon Shand, Eng U18 back row and Gloucester Academy, has signed for Montpellier. Lots of young English talent heading over the channel at the moment.
Two years of actual game time, still able to play England U20s and then hopefully hop back over to continue from there.
Banquo

Re: Transfer news, rumours, suggestions, frenzied speculation, and outright lies - Season 2023-24

Post by Banquo »

Epaminondas Pules wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 4:32 pm
ilovelamp wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 2:40 pm Solomon Shand, Eng U18 back row and Gloucester Academy, has signed for Montpellier. Lots of young English talent heading over the channel at the moment.
Two years of actual game time, still able to play England U20s and then hopefully hop back over to continue from there.
They can all see the limited squad size writing on the wall, plus historical-though-hopefully-to-be-corrected-difficulties-in-getting-game-time.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Banquo wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 1:52 pm
They can all see the limited squad size writing on the wall, plus historical-though-hopefully-to-be-corrected-difficulties-in-getting-game-time.
The whole squad size reduction is to get the younger guys more game time though. 35 man senior squad underpinned with 12 development players and then presumably an academy under that. I still expect some additional allowance for dual qualified players etc so that there's no a ruthless cull of younger talent as soon as they leave the academy system.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

FKAS wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 3:21 pm

The whole squad size reduction is to get the younger guys more game time though. 35 man senior squad underpinned with 12 development players and then presumably an academy under that. I still expect some additional allowance for dual qualified players etc so that there's no a ruthless cull of younger talent as soon as they leave the academy system.
still only so many in the squad though. There will need to be a lot of ruthless culling across the whole squad (which has already started). The whole squad size reduction is more about a fairly blunt tool for DCMS to get its money back than young players is my understanding tho.

I agree it multifactorial though- but if offered security v unknown....
Epaminondas Pules

Post by Epaminondas Pules »

Alan Dickens joins Falcons as Senior Coach
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Banquo wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 3:28 pm

still only so many in the squad though. There will need to be a lot of ruthless culling across the whole squad (which has already started). The whole squad size reduction is more about a fairly blunt tool for DCMS to get its money back than young players is my understanding tho.

Yeah the DCMS want their pound of flesh.

I presumed the impact would mainly be felt with the journeymen style players. The club stalwarts who are reliable but I likely to be starting XV but are kept around to cover. With a lack of crossover between Prem and international fixtures and then this squad reduction scheme they are going to be less and less likely to get a contract. You might carry a few here and there, particularly in the front row as throwing kids in is likely to cost you a game and liable to injure the kids. We've already seen clubs slimming down and next summer I suspect there will be more as the enforcement begins.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

FKAS wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 4:11 pm
Banquo wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 3:28 pm

Yeah the DCMS want their pound of flesh.
We've already seen clubs slimming down and next summer I suspect there will be more as the enforcement begins.
as I said :). Balance will be interesting - when pgp detail is known...
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

One of the mods of the Bath board has put together the publicly available financial information for each team, which is a little scary
https://m.rugbynetwork.net/main/s105/st206214.htm
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Which Tyler wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 6:11 pm One of the mods of the Bath board has put together the publicly available financial information for each team, which is a little scary
That was available a while ago, but stark. loads of basket cases....but Falcons...
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Banquo wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 8:16 pm
Which Tyler wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 6:11 pm One of the mods of the Bath board has put together the publicly available financial information for each team, which is a little scary
That was available a while ago, but stark. loads of basket cases....but Falcons...
Sarries £5m EBITDA loss :shock: you expect depreciation and interest to hammer the figures given the loans and asset heavy nature of the sport but to lose £5m on trading is brutal. Especially when Glaws managed to turn a profit. Bath and Bristol not much better.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Prem rugby isnt sustainable unless those numbers are reversed.

Not quite sure how thats going to happen but i'm sure there are keen minds working at a solution. Arent there???
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

fivepointer wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 7:18 am Prem rugby isnt sustainable unless those numbers are reversed.

Not quite sure how thats going to happen but i'm sure there are keen minds working at a solution. Arent there???
It’s not ever been sustainable without private ‘investment’. This is not new.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Adam_P wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 3:48 pm
Mellsblue wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 9:16 am
francoisfou wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 9:14 am

Lyon it is, for two seasons.

https://www.rugbyrama.fr/2024/06/27/tra ... 044030.php
Let’s hope his brother stays put - he’s been class when turning out for Bedford.
Joel is also off I'm afraid!
He is… to Bedford!
Puja

Post by Puja »

Halfpenny joins Quins as injury cover. Good signing on the pitch, but also a great experienced head for some of the younger players to learn from.

Puja
Backist Monk
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Whose injury is he covering for?

Handy option to have. Nick David and Green are both very good options at the back but Quins haven't replaced Lynagh so back three cover makes sense. High quality kickers at goal are always useful to have as well.
Puja

Post by Puja »

FKAS wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 11:44 am Whose injury is he covering for?

Handy option to have. Nick David and Green are both very good options at the back but Quins haven't replaced Lynagh so back three cover makes sense. High quality kickers at goal are always useful to have as well.
Looks like a cock-up on the part of the website I first saw it on, as every other site says he's signed for the whole season. Apologies!

Puja
Backist Monk
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Puja wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 12:18 pm
FKAS wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 11:44 am Whose injury is he covering for?

Looks like a cock-up on the part of the website I first saw it on, as every other site says he's signed for the whole season. Apologies!

Puja
From the Quins website:

"The former Wales and British & Irish Lions fullback, who most recently played for the Crusaders in Super Rugby Pacific, has joined the Club with immediate effect as injury cover for the season."

So you were right.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Quins also picking up Wyn Jones. Hopefully more a squad cover signing, rather than taking too much gametime away from Baxter.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Is he completely out of the picture for Wales? I’d assume it’s in expectation of both JM/FB being out for international windows.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Halfpenny probably cover for Murley who posted a video of him going in for surgery a couple of weeks back, then wearing a huge leg brace.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Timbo wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 4:47 pm Halfpenny probably cover for Murley who posted a video of him going in for surgery a couple of weeks back, then wearing a huge leg brace.
FFS. It’s crazy he hasn’t managed to pick up a cap and now seems to be perpetually injured. I hope HP being signed for the full season is precautionary. I wouldn’t want to have to rely too much on Green staying fit either.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Mikey Brown wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 4:34 pm Is he completely out of the picture for Wales? I’d assume it’s in expectation of both JM/FB being out for international windows.
I don't think there's supposed to be too much crossover between Prem and international windows this season. PRC first rounds are during the AIs then the final rounds and knock out rounds during the 6N.
Puja

Post by Puja »

FKAS wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 5:22 pm
Mikey Brown wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 4:34 pm Is he completely out of the picture for Wales? I’d assume it’s in expectation of both JM/FB being out for international windows.
I don't think there's supposed to be too much crossover between Prem and international windows this season. PRC first rounds are during the AIs then the final rounds and knock out rounds during the 6N.
Does that include the pre-window training weeks before the AIs and 6N though? That's two weeks where they'd expect to be down to third choice.

It's good business for them anyway - they'd need a third loosehead to provide rotation and injury cover.

Puja
Backist Monk
Danno

Post by Danno »

Timbo wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 4:47 pm Halfpenny probably cover for Murley who posted a video of him going in for surgery a couple of weeks back, then wearing a huge leg brace.
God, I hope he was cheap then. He's never been all that quick and he's what, 35 now? I guess Green on the wing HP at 15 isn't a horrid thing
Puja

Post by Puja »

Puja wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:42 am
Which Tyler wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:13 am Regan Grace properly signs at Bath
https://www.bathrugby.com/content/grace ... bath-rugby
No news on length of contract, or when he's available (might be this weekend, might be September). Thought to be a 1 year contract, presumably with a view to extending on improved terms if injury free and successful at Union.
He'll be in the Wales squad for the summer then.
And is now promptly injured ad having surgery on his hamstring: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union ... r475k9nljo

Poor sod.

Puja
Backist Monk