2024 Summer Internationals

Moderator: OptimisticJock

Mikey Brown

Re: 2024 Summer Internationals

Post by Mikey Brown »

Very much a second choice pack.

Steyn at 13 might be fun, but hard to see it serving much long-term function for Scotland. Same as Dobie really.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Are they trying to work something out for a weird bench in the future? Hard not to see playing McDowall as a more useful exercise.

Pack is interesting.
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

Mikey Brown wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 1:26 pm Very much a second choice pack.

Steyn at 13 might be fun, but hard to see it serving much long-term function for Scotland. Same as Dobie really.
When Graham is fit again it’s likely that he and DVDM will still be the first choice wingers in which case it would be useful to have Steyn on the bench covering wing and centre. Townsend might be giving him a run at centre to see how it goes.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Fair I guess, but I like our centre options and I think I’d rather Steyn takes the 11 shirt off VDM if he’s deserving.

It feels like a rare opportunity to give McDowall or Currie some proper time as a starter to use on a very part-time centre.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Mikey Brown wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 9:48 pm Fair I guess, but I like our centre options and I think I’d rather Steyn takes the 11 shirt off VDM if he’s deserving.

It feels like a rare opportunity to give McDowall or Currie some proper time as a starter to use on a very part-time centre.
its an interesting one. Sometimes its how players perform in training/practice that convinces a coach to give them the nod. Or not. I'm guessing Currie has not done enough to start this week, will be interesting to see how he goes if he gets on or whether he gets involved next week.
McDowell we know is a top performer and can play 12 or 13. So while I see no need for him to prove anything it is odd to have a second centre option benching - except that Steyn can move to wing if necessary.
On Steyn at 13 it is worth remembering that he really established himself at Warriors as a 13, displacing Jones and Grigg. Many still think it is his best position
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

After a poor start it turned into an easy 52-11 win. I’m not sure there’s much we can take from it, Chile were persistent and deserved their try but really were limited in an attacking sense. They never looked like scoring a try from open play. Of the “new” players, Richardson, Currie and Harrison definitely get pass marks. Interestingly Richardson moved to the back row when Harrison came on. Of the established players, Tuipolotu and Ritchie had good games and also Steyn, once he moved out to the wing. Nobody really played badly but Healy is definitely behind Hastings and poor Warr had no ball at all before being subbed.
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

Argentina beat Uruguay 79-5 this evening!! I’ve no idea what standard of team Uruguay put out in this match but given the improvement in standards that we saw at the RWC that’s a shocker.
af73

Post by af73 »

Not sure exactly what I was expecting from this tour, a bit of "I'll know it when I see it" I guess...fairly sure it wasn't what we've been served up so far.
I get the temptation to try out things and in many ways this is an ideal opportunity - one of the few at test level - to do exactly that.

However, it is also about players being able to work on combinations at test level in positions they are familiar without the added complication of learning a new one and not wanting to make a mistake for fear of being cast into the "not one of the coaches favourites" pile.
Experience tells us that this is as much about GT trying to be the smartest person in the room with something that nobody else has thought of.
For a sequence of games where he could just about go as deep as he wanted into our pool of players in position without fear of much in the way of consequences we somehow managed to end up with;

2 wingers on the pitch neither of whom started on the wing. 2 scrum halves starting....with one of those on the wing. A centre who has played much of the season on the wing coming onto replace the starting centre who moved back out to his regular position on the wing.
In the forwards a back row recently converted to hooker started at 2 only to move to the back row when the starting back row moved to lock...where he hasn't played since age grade (?)

No wonder it's looked disjointed most of the time, players getting isolated. We've got a good maul but what are we learning when the 1st 6 attempts don't work but the 7th does? "Players trusting the process" no doubt, but against better opposition you don't get the 3rd or 4th chance let alone a 7th.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Not learning a great deal. Bench got to have fun when they came on v a tiring side. Suspect it would have been the same no matter who started and benched.

A fair bit of sloppy play and several butchered chances throughout including twice failing to put a scoring pass in form the back three players. Can't remember which of the players it was.

Currie needs to start more in the centres for Edinburgh given he is a centre.

For all the progress Chile and Uruguay showed at the RWC, they are not very good in the grand scheme of things. Would expect 50 points on Uruguay next week too.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I'm probably repeating myself but I imagine this is a lot more about what can be learned in training, general cohesion and as a wider group, rather than who will be able to cut it as a top international. Richardson, McDowall, Dobie and maybe Craig, Rowe, Paterson look like they could push for more regular spots in a 23. I don't know if we've made any progress/discoveries at prop, which is really the key one at the moment, but we at least now have a couple of guys who are capped and a little more comfortable/familiar if it comes to getting a run out in the Autumn/6N.

Looking at who is due their turn to rotate in v Uruguay this looks like overkill to be honest.

1. Schoeman
2. Harrison
3. Sebastian
4. Cummings
5. Williamson
6. Crosbie
7. Darge
8. Bayliss/Fagerson

9. Horne
10. Thompson
11. VDM
12. McDowell
13. Jones
14. Rowe
15. Paterson
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union ... rl5nlgj37o

Sione Tuipulotu is among seven players leaving the squad before the final Test.

The centre, 27, is departing early to spend time with his family following the recent arrival of a baby.

Josh Bayliss, Alex Craig, Hurd, Reed, Richardson and Warr will also miss next Saturday's Test in Montevideo.

Scotland squad for Uruguay Test
Forwards: Ewan Ashman (Edinburgh), Gregor Brown (Glasgow Warriors), Luke Crosbie (Edinburgh), Scott Cummings (Glasgow Warriors), Rory Darge (Glasgow Warriors), Matt Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors), Patrick Harrison (Edinburgh), Ewan Johnson (Oyonnax), Nathan McBeth (Glasgow Warriors), Javan Sebastian (Edinburgh), Pierre Schoeman (Edinburgh), Rory Sutherland (Oyonnax), Jamie Ritchie (Edinburgh), Murphy Walker (Glasgow Warriors), Max Williamson (Glasgow Warriors).

Backs: Matt Currie (Edinburgh), Jamie Dobie (Glasgow Warriors), Adam Hastings (Gloucester), Ben Healy (Edinburgh), George Horne (Glasgow Warriors), Huw Jones (Glasgow Warriors), Stafford McDowall (Glasgow Warriors), Harry Paterson (Edinburgh), Kyle Rowe (Glasgow Warriors), Kyle Steyn (Glasgow Warriors) Duhan van der Merwe (Edinburgh).
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Mikey Brown wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 10:20 am

Looking at who is due their turn to rotate in v Uruguay this looks like overkill to be honest.
it may turn out that way but the rotation has been planned pre tour when Uruguay was believed to be significantly the toughest match. That they got hammered by the Argies who themselves struggled against France 3rd XV I guess changes the expectation a bit, but then again Uruguay squad, as it was in the RWC , is pretty much all home based so they have been together for ages, are as Toonie said battle hardened, plus will want to restore some pride after last couple of games. Remembering them in the RWC I can see why the rotation was planned thus, but of course it may be tweaked

eg Murphy may start again. Dobie may get the nod at 9. Not too much choice at lock, but bench lock an issue so might be Brown. At prop we learned that Hurd isn't up to this level, so the search goes on. But I think McBeth did himself no harm, he has been very good for Glasgow this season - Sutherland will need to be Sutherland of old to get near a Glasgow 23 next season
Not sure Thomson will get the 10 slot if we go strong as (in Toonie's view) - Healey of Hastings maybe.
Expect McDowell a shoe in at 12, would be tempted to give Currie another run at 13 (and rest Jones). I'd also rest DVDM - and have a working winger instead!
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I just included them because (I think) they've only played one game. Surely we don't make Steyn play all 4 games in a row on the back of playing every week for Glasgow? Ditto Dobie. I'd like to see more of Currie too and maybe giving Jones a run at 15 for a laugh. Maybe give VDM a go at 8 and really get him working.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Big D wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 9:58 am Not learning a great deal. Bench got to have fun when they came on v a tiring side. Suspect it would have been the same no matter who started and benched.

A fair bit of sloppy play and several butchered chances throughout including twice failing to put a scoring pass in form the back three players. Can't remember which of the players it was.

For all the progress Chile and Uruguay showed at the RWC, they are not very good in the grand scheme of things. Would expect 50 points on Uruguay next week too.
Agree with all of this apart from I felt that Currie was first choice for Edinburgh last season, switching between 12 and 13. He got shunted out to the wing at the end of the season when everyone else was injured but before that he started pretty much all of the time. He would really benefit though from having coaches and a ten that is willing to stand flatter and make use of the good lines that he runs.
Big D

Post by Big D »

switchskier wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 12:44 pm
Big D wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 9:58 am Not learning a great deal. Bench got to have fun when they came on v a tiring side. Suspect it would have been the same no matter who started and benched.

Agree with all of this apart from I felt that Currie was first choice for Edinburgh last season, switching between 12 and 13. He got shunted out to the wing at the end of the season when everyone else was injured but before that he started pretty much all of the time. He would really benefit though from having coaches and a ten that is willing to stand flatter and make use of the good lines that he runs.
I seem to have mixed him swapping between 12 and 13, then being shunted to the wing as not being given a run in the centres. I still think he needs a run of games in one position, probably 13. He didn't more than 2 games in a row in one position.
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

Decent enough team from those that are left on the tour. Healy gets another shot this week with Hastings on the bench again. He really doesn’t get the backs moving as well as Hastings does although it might have been interesting to start Hastings and see how Healy does against a tiring side. Good to see Paterson getting the nod at full back, we need strength in depth behind Kinghorn.

switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Maybe overly strong? Do DHVM, Jones, Horne, Ashman, Cummings, Darge, Faegerson, Schoeman, Ritchie and Steyn really all need to play this game?
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Funny selections this tour, in the sense that they've been different than we expected.

Hands tied a bit for this one with it being out of the window, but maybe he just subscribes to the theory that it is more useful for newbies to play alongside established players. Wouldn't be shocked to see a pretty similar team line up in a bigger match over the next few years.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Cameo wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 9:56 am Funny selections this tour, in the sense that they've been different than we expected.

Hands tied a bit for this one with it being out of the window, but maybe he just subscribes to the theory that it is more useful for newbies to play alongside established players. Wouldn't be shocked to see a pretty similar team line up in a bigger match over the next few years.
yeah, out of the release window, can only pick Glasgow and Edin players, there ain't many left after picking the 23. The 3 out there for development are I think all one injury away from being on the bench

And of course playing the younger players alongside experienced ones is a no brainer. Putting out a team of kids is a huge risk and he would rightly get crucified if they lost or came close as a result. Not to mention ranking points for the next RWC draw - we lose badly if we lost any of these games
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Well we're going to win but they've played like a squad at the arse end of a loooong season. Uruguay been good particularly at the breakdown but Hastings and Dobbie coming on at 9 + 10 have turned it around for us.
It was so much easier to blame Them. It was bleakly depressing to think They were Us. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

Boring rubbish I’m afraid. After the excitement of the Sevens in Paris this was so flat. Plus marks for Fagerson and the replacements and that’s about it. Pleased to see Duhan get the record.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Some of those players will have started camp for the RWC about 12 months ago. Ridiculous that they are still playing.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Yeah, you have to hope this is a tour that pays off somewhere down the line in terms of depth and cohesion because it seems a bit ridiculous now.

How much of a break do they even get before pre-season?
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Mikey Brown wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 1:51 pm Yeah, you have to hope this is a tour that pays off somewhere down the line in terms of depth and cohesion because it seems a bit ridiculous now.

How much of a break do they even get before pre-season?
I think Edin are already in pre season training, but then their season finished early :lol:

OTOH a different example. Glasgow have a pre season match in Parma 4 weeks come friday. Some of the lads on tour won't be there, even if back in training. Some might be but they will get an extended break (2-3 weeks) later. Smith will have learned from last season and how he managed the RWC returnees which worked very well with staggered returns
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

That game will have dine Uruguay so much more good than us. The moral victory is more satisfying than the actual one: that was a dreadful performance by a team that didnt really want to be there.

Oh, and that pass from Healy really was a shocker.