Which Tyler

Re: Paris Olympics 2024

Post by Which Tyler »

So far ahead of his peers, it's almost unbelievable
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Yeah that swim was pretty special.

See Andy Murray has survived by the skin of his teeth in the doubles.

Currently watching GB v RSA in men's hockey. Have to say RSA are playing better despite being woefully underfunded and miles behind in the rankings.
It was so much easier to blame Them. It was bleakly depressing to think They were Us. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Yeah, RSA doing well. No idea about financing etc though.

Pity the goal was written off, but hey, these things happen
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Which Tyler wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 8:23 pm Yeah, RSA doing well. No idea about financing etc though.

Pity the goal was written off, but hey, these things happen
I was only going off what the commentators were saying. Finished 2-2 which is probs about right but couldn't have complained if RSA had won
It was so much easier to blame Them. It was bleakly depressing to think They were Us. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Mr Mwenda

Post by Mr Mwenda »

Oh Peaty, good show.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Mr Mwenda wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 8:59 pm Oh Peaty, good show.
Aye, been a phenomenal gold had it happened
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Good on him, silver is still a real achievement, he should be proud
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

TBF, I think it's onky the one on one (team or solo) where silver winner takes time to feel the pride and success - they're the only people who win a medal for losing
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

Mr Mwenda wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 8:59 pm Oh Peaty, good show.
Considering the lows he's had, a tremendous showing.
Such a ferocious competitor, he'll still reflect on what may have been.Hopefully TeamGB will take inspiration from him now, as before.
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

Genuinely enjoying cracknells rowing commentary on eurosport
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

Can you aim to hit someone's boot in order to "milk" a penalty corner in hockey? Apologies if this is a bone headache question
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

paddy no 11 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 9:37 am Can you aim to hit someone's boot in order to "milk" a penalty corner in hockey? Apologies if this is a bone headache question
Yes - probably the most common way of scoring
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

Cheers
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

So... apparently, the bit with Dionysus on the catwalk was "a parody of the last supper, and therefore bad"

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/artic ... per-parody

I'm really not seeing anything last supper related - unless the last supper was (another) christian take-over of existing pagan story / imagery
Puja

Post by Puja »

Which Tyler wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 12:44 pm So... apparently, the bit with Dionysus on the catwalk was "a parody of the last supper, and therefore bad"

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/artic ... per-parody

I'm really not seeing anything last supper related - unless the last supper was (another) christian take-over of existing pagan story / imagery
What a stupid headline. The organisers and the director have specifically said that it wasn't anything to do with the last supper (shockingly enough, there have been more than one group of people sitting at a long table in the history of eating meals) and that article is accepting the bullshit premise without question.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mr Mwenda

Post by Mr Mwenda »

paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

Creditable performance from Ireland women's 7s

Even bombed a few trys

Australia not playing full side
Last edited by paddy no 11 on Mon Jul 29, 2024 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Yup.

Of course the comments section seem to...
Hmmm
I see what I did wrong there
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Did anyone get that it was Dionysus and the absurdity of violence?

I had no idea that it was a parody of the last supper, I just thought it was a(nother) weird French Arty thing.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

I got that it was Dionysus, but I can't remember if that was because Andrew Cotter.told us that.

I still can't see any last supper references though, just a wine-and-food fuelled orgy (very Dionysean). But yes, very French.
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Anyway, poor Tom Pidcock, got a puncture at the worst possible point in the MTB race, it's going to be a French gold now, barring disaster, but Tom is doing amazing to come back to challenge for silver.
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

The commentators seem to think he's got a chance of catching the french guy for gold... surely not? 17s behind and only 2 laps left
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

FUCKS SAKE HES GOT IT DOWN TO 5 S
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Absolutely unreal, he's in the lead going into the final lap. Only question is if he's got enough left in the tank to stay there. Must have used so much more energy than the guys with him, how much has he got left?
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Holy fuck!