America

Son of Mathonwy

Re: America

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Puja wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 8:28 am
Eugene Wrayburn wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 12:57 am
Sandydragon wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 9:43 pm

Totally agree. She isn’t the best debater, or wasn’t in the democratic nomination race last time out but she is sane and can make a coherent argument.

The more exposure she gets the better.
There's a world of difference between a 10 person debate stage and a one on one cross examination. She'll crucify him. Even better, people think she's not great so the expectations aren't high. My bet is on Trump wimping out unless he's losing substantially in the polls.
The hope has to be that he's as stupid and easily baited as he appears to be and can be lured by accusations of "being chicken".

Puja
Either he agrees to the debate or the Dems will constantly attack his supposed strong man status by telling America how shit-scared he is to debate with a woman. Either way is a win.
Son of Mathonwy

I have to say, although I am mightily relieved that Biden has done the right thing, this is a total stitch-up for Harris (and presumably the Dem establishment). She's unlikely to have won a straight contest for nomination (ie under the normal process).
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

By the time Biden withdrew, there was literally 1 viable candidate - or are you implying that this has been planned by Democrat hierarchy for a year or two?
A stitch-up would require the latter, that time is linear is all the explanation required for the former.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

The speed at which Team Harris has moved is incredible. She is a good political operator, but I cant believe that she went from a standing start when Biden's withdrawal letter hit social media to 100mph that quickly. at the very least, her team was prepped and ready to go (which could have been good contingency planning I suppose) but I get the sense they knew in advance and also that Biden would endorse her.

But that's not a stitch-up where this was always the plan. What they have done is very high risk and I genuinely believe Biden felt he was the best person to beat Trump.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

A] She's the VP - it's literally her job to be able to hit the ground running if Biden can't govern.
B] People had been calling for Biden's withdrawal for 3 weeks solid before he did (and yes, the timing of his announcement, AFTER the GOP convention would have been decided in advance, and communicated with his allies, complete with polling said allies as to who they'd support, and the practicalities if things like Harris being the only viable candidate).
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

Puja wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 9:12 am
paddy no 11 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 9:04 am Oh the gop is running scared, straight to the courts to try and block Harris using biden funds

Meanwhile there biggest attack on Harris is that she laughs a lot, I'm like isn't it great to hear her laugh, there's enough misery out there

Oul JD is tanking btw -6 negative impact for a vp pick the lowest since 1980, he'll probably get fired, lol
Can he be fired? I thought once he was nominated and confirmed, he had to be on the ticket?

Puja
Apparently some guy in the 70's got dropped as he hadn't declared he had electro shock therapy
Son of Mathonwy

Which Tyler wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 10:15 am By the time Biden withdrew, there was literally 1 viable candidate - or are you implying that this has been planned by Democrat hierarchy for a year or two?
A stitch-up would require the latter, that time is linear is all the explanation required for the former.
No I don't mean this was always the plan, just that this has delivered her the nomination without a contest when she would not have been odds-on to get it under normal circumstances.

NB I don't think she was the only viable candidate when Biden stood down but she had all the momentum/money/machinery behind her, so she had a massive advantage.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Which Tyler wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 10:39 am A] She's the VP - it's literally her job to be able to hit the ground running if Biden can't govern.
B] People had been calling for Biden's withdrawal for 3 weeks solid before he did (and yes, the timing of his announcement, AFTER the GOP convention would have been decided in advance, and communicated with his allies, complete with polling said allies as to who they'd support, and the practicalities if things like Harris being the only viable candidate).
Not quite the same. Take over from Biden if he is incapacitated is one thing. But to set up a solo campaign, reach out to dozens of Democrats across both houses, former presidents, donors etc. And do all that before any other contender, who should also have been able to read the runes, could get out of the blocks. Whilst there might be a stalking horse at the convention, all the serious candidates have agreed Kamala is the best bet.

Its impressive.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

paddy no 11 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 11:57 am
paddy no 11 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 9:04 am Oh the gop is running scared, straight to the courts to try and block Harris using biden funds

Meanwhile there biggest attack on Harris is that she laughs a lot, I'm like isn't it great to hear her laugh, there's enough misery out there

Oul JD is tanking btw -6 negative impact for a vp pick the lowest since 1980, he'll probably get fired, lol
Can he be fired? I thought once he was nominated and confirmed, he had to be on the ticket?

Puja
Apparently some guy in the 70's got dropped as he hadn't declared he had electro shock therapy
Last week we were arguing over whether anyone could replace Biden at this stage. Turns out that someone could. I suspect if Trump really wanted to, Vance would be drop kicked off the ticket.
Son of Mathonwy

Sandydragon wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 4:08 pm

Puja
Last week we were arguing over whether anyone could replace Biden at this stage. Turns out that someone could. I suspect if Trump really wanted to, Vance would be drop kicked off the ticket.
Vance is looking like more of a liability now, but that could just be from the videos YouTube's algorithm picks for me. :D

It would be quite a step, and a massive sign of incompetence, to drop your VP only a few weeks after anointing him.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Puja
The difference is that Biden had not been nominated - he was just presumed and was due to be ratified at the convention. I understand that Trump/Vance is the official Republican ticket as they've had their convention and officially made their choice, but I don’t know what restrictions that imposes.

Moot point anyway, Trump won't fire a him-impersonator.

Puja
Backist Monk
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Puja wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 5:56 pm

The difference is that Biden had not been nominated - he was just presumed and was due to be ratified at the convention. I understand that Trump/Vance is the official Republican ticket as they've had their convention and officially made their choice, but I don’t know what restrictions that imposes.

Moot point anyway, Trump won't fire a him-impersonator.

Puja
Trump owns that party now, it’s far from impossible. But I agree that to fire Vance, especially so quickly, is a sign of desperation and incompetence
Son of Mathonwy

This is hopeful - Biden planning to reform the Supreme Court :

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/art ... us-supreme

Whether any of it is achievable now or if it's more about creating a point of difference for the election I don't know.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Which Tyler wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 10:42 am
I read it. Then played the video because I was sure it wouldn't be what he said. Then I played it again, cause I must've misheard it. Then I asked a friend sitting next to me if it was correct. She asked me to read the text out loud, cause she was sure he couldn't possibly have said that.

Jesus H Fuck. It's not even saying the quiet bit out loud any more - this is just the loud bit now.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

It’s so ridiculous that it’s kind of hard to comprehend. I guess he’s seriously feeling the heat at this point and lunging towards a fundamentalist Christian dictatorship seems like a decent gamble.

Obviously he is completely fucking insane, but does he say “I love you Christians, I’m not Christian”? It’s so hard to decipher which things he says by accident and which are because he just doesn’t care or know any better.
Son of Mathonwy

This has to be good for the Dems. Sure, it won't bother Trump fans, but for the undecided - vote now, you won't have to vote again?? We're planning something so irreversible that you won't need or won't be able to vote ever again??? Surely not that appealing to undecideds?

Trump is writing the Democrats' ads for them.
Son of Mathonwy

Mikey Brown wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 1:50 pm It’s so ridiculous that it’s kind of hard to comprehend. I guess he’s seriously feeling the heat at this point and lunging towards a fundamentalist Christian dictatorship seems like a decent gamble.

Obviously he is completely fucking insane, but does he say “I love you Christians, I’m not Christian”? It’s so hard to decipher which things he says by accident and which are because he just doesn’t care or know any better.
I assumed he said 'I'm a Christian' but I agree, it's not very clear. It's just that 'I'm not Christian' would be insane, right? Oh yeah :| .
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

The Christian fundamentalists have baked in Trumps erm unbiblical life cycle. I don’t think him admitting he isn’t a Christian will shock or surprise anyone.

But I do agree that anyone who actually wants a democracy in the US should be taking notice of this and taking it seriously.
Son of Mathonwy

This is quite a list (article from last year) - 24 former Trump allies and aides who turned against him:

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/10/03/poli ... index.html
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 10:16 pm This is quite a list (article from last year) - 24 former Trump allies and aides who turned against him:

Sadly Elon Musk isn’t on that list.
Son of Mathonwy

Sandydragon wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 9:27 am
Son of Mathonwy wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 10:16 pm This is quite a list (article from last year) - 24 former Trump allies and aides who turned against him:

He's never had to work under Trump.

I guess he's taking a chance that Trump will not go full-Führer and expropriate Tesla and Twitter off him,.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 9:52 am
Sandydragon wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 9:27 am

He's never had to work under Trump.

I guess he's taking a chance that Trump will not go full-Führer and expropriate Tesla and Twitter off him,.
That would be karma I suppose although a very small lining to a horribly big grey cloud
Eugene Wrayburn

Post by Eugene Wrayburn »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 9:55 am This is hopeful - Biden planning to reform the Supreme Court :

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/art ... us-supreme

Whether any of it is achievable now or if it's more about creating a point of difference for the election I don't know.
None of it is achievable now. If the K-hive wasn't kicking ass and taking names they might have been able to get the constitutional amendment across the line to confirm Presidents were not immune because Trump would be president then self-pardon then dead and they would be salivating over prosecuting Biden.
Puja wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 9:12 am Can he be fired? I thought once he was nominated and confirmed, he had to be on the ticket?

Puja
He'd have to go back to the RNC and get the rules changed to get a do-over. In theory that's difficult. In practice the RNC is run by his daughter-in-law and will do whatever he wants.
Sandydragon wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 10:35 am The speed at which Team Harris has moved is incredible. She is a good political operator, but I cant believe that she went from a standing start when Biden's withdrawal letter hit social media to 100mph that quickly. at the very least, her team was prepped and ready to go (which could have been good contingency planning I suppose) but I get the sense they knew in advance and also that Biden would endorse her.

But that's not a stitch-up where this was always the plan. What they have done is very high risk and I genuinely believe Biden felt he was the best person to beat Trump.
She has basically adopted the entire of Biden's machine. They are all good political operators. They just didn't have a candidate who could do messaging and performing. I also think Biden was too fond of believing in the innate goodness of Americans and so his messaging (such as it was) was all on democracy when there's almost certainly a solid 35% of Americans who couldn't give a monkey's if America became an autocracy and yet more who are perfectly comfortable with denying people from the other side the vote.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

NS. Gone but not forgotten.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Ha!
A fundraiser for Kamala Harris was held on Twitter (ETA, sorry, it was a youtube fundraiser hosted and promoted by a twitter account). They raised $4M, then Elon closed them down. After tonnes of complaints to Elon personally, he reinstalls the host account

He's such a child

https://variety.com/2024/digital/news/e ... 236089959/