Next England Manager

Galfon

Next England Manager

Post by Galfon »

Howe to Apply..
https://careers.thefa.com/jobs/vacancy/ ... scription/

This is a 'highly targeted process', but also 'open' - need a license though.

FA will have to wait for Pep and Jurgen, for different reasons ,
Howe appears committed to Newcastle for now, so the 2 recently shown the door at Chelsea (Potter, Poch) may get a chance for now. :|
Galfon

Re: Next England Manager

Post by Galfon »

Klippety & Howe appear very distant possibilities now,
so Potter or even Poche, as interim, seem faves.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/ar ... p2y79xy0wo
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

FA going for the well-trodden path from the U-21's for the 'Interim Head Coach' (Lee Carsley).
At least he has a trophy under his belt, and has worked with some of the senior squad before.
His preferred style of play is different to GS, apparently (fourfourtwo)
Carsley’s teams usually set up in either a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-3-3 formation and are instructed to dominate possession, but not in the static way we saw England’s senior side do too often at Euro 2024. His teams consistently look to move forward and a front-footed double pivot is often employed.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Galfon wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 9:16 pm FA going for the well-trodden path from the U-21's for the 'Interim Head Coach' (Lee Carsley).
At least he has a trophy under his belt, and has worked with some of the senior squad before.
His preferred style of play is different to GS, apparently (fourfourtwo)
Carsley’s teams usually set up in either a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-3-3 formation and are instructed to dominate possession, but not in the static way we saw England’s senior side do too often at Euro 2024. His teams consistently look to move forward and a front-footed double pivot is often employed.
I don't hate it. International management is a different kettle of fish to club management (and I'm not loving that the frontrunners from the club world haven't won anything of any note in the English game) and, if Carsley's experience can translate from the U21s, I'd have no problem with giving him a go.

Puja
Backist Monk
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

Made his mark already in first squad selection..
Gomes, Madueke, Livramento and Gibbs-White called up, all seasoned age-group internationals but new to seniors.
A few ither notable inc- & exc- lusions.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/ar ... 85q16jrn4o
Puja

Post by Puja »

It's impossible to tell from games against Ireland and Finland, but I'm still on the Carsley-wagon. I don't think any of the other contenders has a compelling pedigree and he's probably got the most experience in the odd format of internationals, even if it is mostly age grade. His side so far have looked happy to work for him and willing to express themselves on the pitch, and I don't hate that we found an answer to Finland shutting up shop and putting 11 players in the box - yes, it is "only Finland" but it's the kind of hurdle that Southgate's teams used to struggle against (let alone those that came before him).

Assuming he doesn't shit the bed over the rest of his 6 games trial, I'd be keen for him to get the job full-time.

Puja
Backist Monk
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

Puja wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 11:11 pm Assuming he doesn't shit the bed over the rest of his 6 games trial, I'd be keen for him to get the job full-time.

Puja
If he keeps turning out victories in this period with the team looking comfortable and dominant, it would be a surprise to see the FA go elsewehere, especially with the support he is getting from within the squad.
Poch. now firmly off the list..
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/ar ... d1ewle7z1o
Stom

Post by Stom »

Puja wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 11:11 pm It's impossible to tell from games against Ireland and Finland, but I'm still on the Carsley-wagon. I don't think any of the other contenders has a compelling pedigree and he's probably got the most experience in the odd format of internationals, even if it is mostly age grade. His side so far have looked happy to work for him and willing to express themselves on the pitch, and I don't hate that we found an answer to Finland shutting up shop and putting 11 players in the box - yes, it is "only Finland" but it's the kind of hurdle that Southgate's teams used to struggle against (let alone those that came before him).

Assuming he doesn't shit the bed over the rest of his 6 games trial, I'd be keen for him to get the job full-time.

Puja
Every coach who has spent time in the Brentford system is going to be a good coach ;)

I like Carsley, even if he does pick players I wouldn't sometimes.

He understands systems and structure in a way Southgate did not. I think he's a great fit.