Paris Olympics 2024

Donny osmond

Re: Paris Olympics 2024

Post by Donny osmond »

Banquo wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2024 6:06 pm
Which Tyler wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2024 10:38 am
Donny osmond wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2024 9:59 am Thanks WT, I'm happy to discuss this over DMs if you really want to, you strike me as someone it'd be quite easy to have a sensible conversation with, but not via the public boards.
Appreciated, but I'm a firm believer that if something can't be said publicly, it shouldn't be said.
Other opinions are available.

However, I think the issue is emotive enough, and broad enough that it probably needs a thread of it's own, that should take place away from the heightened emotions of live sport.
Donny osmond wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2024 10:02 am and that Alcaraz humps Djokovic
And so say all of us.
oops
Grrrrrr
It was so much easier to blame Them. It was bleakly depressing to think They were Us. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

Kerr & Hodgkinson running well & look good for medals, many of the others finding this level of competition a bit out of reach.
The Jamaican conveyor belt still delivering, sprintwise, but
that's some quick race won by Lyles. :shock:
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

Banquo wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2024 6:08 pm
paddy no 11 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2024 9:41 am Go cousin
whats the view on Wiffen competing for NI in the Commonealths?
No problem really, maybe 20 years ago a minority would have cared but not anymore really
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

Fair play to Adam peaty for calling out the Chinese doping, so 2 athlete has 2 fails that they've blamed on contaminated meat but produced no evidence to support this

Disgraceful from WADA
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Beth Potter, Glasgow girl, riding away in 1st in the final leg of the tri-relay.... might have an early drink if she holds on
It was so much easier to blame Them. It was bleakly depressing to think They were Us. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

paddy no 11 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2024 10:23 pm I've edited my statement here after a visit to the wada website
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

Golden-girl day ..nice start to t'week.

eta. so close, losing the S. a real sucker punch.
hopefully Keelry H can make up for it this evening. :|
Last edited by Galfon on Mon Aug 05, 2024 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Nah, she got caught on the bikes and is fading ont he run... Bah!
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Feck feck feck, silver. I mean, that's as exciting as it gets but annoying too
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Again, how many Gold medals have team UK **just** missed out on? It's been a good Games so far, great even, but inches away from being amazing.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Donny osmond wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 8:30 am Again, how many Gold medals have team UK **just** missed out on? It's been a good Games so far, great even, but inches away from being amazing.
and a ton of 4ths. The swimmers have missed their target for example.
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

We now appear to have beach volleyball, the shitest olympic sport, across both BBC channels.

The Beeb does not get a medal of any colour for their coverage of these Games
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Banquo wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 8:32 am
Donny osmond wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 8:30 am Again, how many Gold medals have team UK **just** missed out on? It's been a good Games so far, great even, but inches away from being amazing.
Yes, chat before the games was about a strong swimming team. I mean, 4th at the Olympics is pretty good (!) but frustratingly short of being 'good enough'
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Donny osmond wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 8:48 am We now appear to have beach volleyball, the shitest olympic sport, across both BBC channels.

The Beeb does not get a medal of any colour for their coverage of these Games
agreed.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Donny osmond wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 8:50 am
Yes, chat before the games was about a strong swimming team. I mean, 4th at the Olympics is pretty good (!) but frustratingly short of being 'good enough'
My daughter made the excellent point that its great that medals are being more widely spread (well apparently), eg phillipines winning gymnastic golds, chile shooting etc etc. But the issue then becomes funding- so female swimming will probably take quite a hit.
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Banquo wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 8:54 am

My daughter made the excellent point that its great that medals are being more widely spread (well apparently), eg phillipines winning gymnastic golds, chile shooting etc etc. But the issue then becomes funding- so female swimming will probably take quite a hit.
Funding for Olympic sports has always been weird - funding given to success and withdrawn from failure seems topsy turvy to me.

Just seeing UK tri-relay silver has been downgraded to bronze... can't complain I initially thought they were lucky to get silver on the photo
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Donny osmond wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 9:00 am

Funding for Olympic sports has always been weird - funding given to success and withdrawn from failure seems topsy turvy to me.

Just seeing UK tri-relay silver has been downgraded to bronze... can't complain I initially thought they were lucky to get silver on the photo
doh! Odd as she placed much higher than the other two in the individual? But I guess the distance makes a huge difference.
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Banquo wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 9:11 am

doh! Odd as she placed much higher than the other two in the individual? But I guess the distance makes a huge difference.
I guess it's dangerously easy to go in a shorter distance and burn yourself out going too hard too early? Watching it, I felt like Potters swim was laboured and when they caught her on the bike, she must've been burst by half way thru the 2nd bike lap. She actually did pretty well to hold on and challenge for 2nd/3rd, but I think if she'd been in a group with others she might've had a better chance for gold as she might have been able to pace herself better?
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Donny osmond wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 9:25 am
Banquo wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 9:11 am

I guess it's dangerously easy to go in a shorter distance and burn yourself out going too hard too early? Watching it, I felt like Potters swim was laboured and when they caught her on the bike, she must've been burst by half way thru the 2nd bike lap. She actually did pretty well to hold on and challenge for 2nd/3rd, but I think if she'd been in a group with others she might've had a better chance for gold as she might have been able to pace herself better?
aye, and very small margins in fairness
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

pretty disappointing for Caudery, pressure I guess....ditto Bradshaw.
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Feel so so much for Mallory Franklin. Nothing has gone her way at all these games.
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

WTF is kayak cross? It's mental.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Donny osmond wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 3:45 pm WTF is kayak cross? It's mental.
mental indeed
Puja

Post by Puja »

Donny osmond wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 3:45 pm WTF is kayak cross? It's mental.
I love it. It's like full contact kayaking. The women's semi final was incredible - the Swiss looked to have second place sewn up until they turned for the gate and suddenly the French launched out of a rapid and bodily slammed them into the bank before pinning them there while they went aroudn the gate themselves.

Ridiculous sport and absolutely wonderful.

Puja
Backist Monk