Paris Olympics 2024

Mikey Brown

Re: Paris Olympics 2024

Post by Mikey Brown »

I can't comprehend watching someone just running/swimming in a straight line after watching the skateboarding.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Mikey Brown wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2024 1:41 pm I can't comprehend watching someone just running/swimming in a straight line after watching the skateboarding.
its great. Bit weird to have a 14 year old winning yesterday and a 51 year old competing today tho!
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Banquo wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2024 1:57 pm
Mikey Brown wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2024 1:41 pm I can't comprehend watching someone just running/swimming in a straight line after watching the skateboarding.
its great. Bit weird to have a 14 year old winning yesterday and a 51 year old competing today tho!
A pretty entertaining first run from him. He had nothing on that old South African guy though, just cruising around.

I think the Swedish guy was robbed.

The age difference with the womens is strange. I guess the size and weight put on as adults isn't really worth the trade odd in balance/nimbleness or something.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Aaaand the 51 year old does a backflip out of the park.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Banquo wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 6:46 pm
Which Tyler wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 5:57 pm Team GB exactly where they want to be in the Women’s team pursuit.

I don't know why, but it's exactly what they wanted - basing that on the instructions the coach was giving the riders, rather than what the commentators were saying. He never showed them a red board, and I only saw number between -0.2 and ±0.

Of course, there's a good chance that that's sticking with the plan despite having been punched in the face by NZ.
But equally may be that they know exactly how fast they can go, when required to go again; and that trying to beat that time would hamstring them later.
be interesting to see if they can beat the US and then get 2s on nz
done by the US as suspected. Should get bronze tho.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Beckett very unlucky, oz having a great olympics tho already.

I reckon we will be close to medal target, but disappointed by golds.
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

'Hey-ho Silver away..' (again)
So close in the TP, disaster on last lap.. :|
..slipping off the saddle when going for bust, not sure if mechanical or fatigue.
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Galfon wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2024 5:40 pm 'Hey-ho Silver away..' (again)
..slipping off the saddle when going for bust, not sure if mechanical or fatigue.
Going to have to fire up some Jonny Cash if we carry on like this
It was so much easier to blame Them. It was bleakly depressing to think They were Us. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

great effort....too much for hayter who practically collapsed on the last lap poor lad...
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Galfon wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2024 5:40 pm 'Hey-ho Silver away..' (again)
fatigue...looked like he almost passed out. would have been close!
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

Great watch, these TP race-offs - another bronze for GB.
(Sir Bradley Wigwam was tops in this format too, I think, appropriately.)
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

Another super-spurt from Hall of US ...great effort from Hudson-Smith for a S., 5th fastest of all time.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Galfon wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2024 8:32 pm Another super-spurt from Hall of US ...great effort from Hudson-Smith for a S., 5th fastest of all time.
Fantastic effort from mhs, very unlucky tbh
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Oz continue to excel
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Donny osmond wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2024 11:00 am Olympic walking is not a sport I can get behind.
Shouldn’t this be in the crap jokes thread?
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

The whole board is a crap joke thread
It was so much easier to blame Them. It was bleakly depressing to think They were Us. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

One of the more disappointing results from last olympics was the taekwondo guy losing the gold in the last few seconds. He’s about to start his redemption journey.
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

We could do with the medal split evening out a bit, or Paris may have a 'shudda cudda wudda' ring about it.
so close and unlucky it seems on many occasions - showing at least they were in the mix.
strangely mirroring Fra atm, but agree, Oz had a fantastic day yesterday across varied events; real hunger and emotion shown.
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Galfon wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 10:24 am We could do with the medal split evening out a bit, or Paris may have a 'shudda cudda wudda' ring about it.
so close and unlucky it seems on many occasions - showing at least they were in the mix.
strangely mirroring Fra atm, but agree, Oz had a fantastic day yesterday across varied events; real hunger and emotion shown.
Yup, I think is destined to be remembered, from a UK perspective, as The Nearly Games
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

I've watched some of the judo and some Tae kwan do, in these Olympics and in previous, and I'm really not sure that they are suited to the Olympics
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

In what sense?
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Donny osmond wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 10:54 am
Galfon wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 10:24 am We could do with the medal split evening out a bit, or Paris may have a 'shudda cudda wudda' ring about it.
Yup, I think is destined to be remembered, from a UK perspective, as The Nearly Games
yus- tons of near silvers. Lots of 4ths. But a few howlers chucked in, and those are the tricky ones to analyse.
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Mikey Brown wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 1:20 pm In what sense?
Most sports, even if you know nothing about it you can appreciate the technique or athletic ability. Martial arts are just too opaque for me. There's a flurry of arms and legs and the commentators going "well of course if you washi irigami that's going to happen". Eh?
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

poor day in sailing again, must be looking over their funding shoulders.

Jade Jones...not a surprise tbh. Sinden doing well
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

Banquo wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 2:01 pm yus- tons of near silvers. Lots of 4ths. But a few howlers chucked in, and those are the tricky ones to analyse.
..and if the US produce another mid-/long distance spurty finish, then the rest need to catch up on the winning formula ! - almost Vaatainen-esque (1971, Helsinki) in takeoff rate, a few of these.
High Alt. training was originally the thing, then murmurs about transfusions with the Viren camp (before illegal) - whatever the training & preparation, it's doing the biz. :)