What next for 24/25?

Moderator: Puja

Mikey Brown

Re: What next for 24/25?

Post by Mikey Brown »

Some more positive spin on things, yeah, but doesn’t really address Jones turning up and being asked to do a different job than he’d expected.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Mikey Brown wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 6:34 pm Some more positive spin on things, yeah, but doesn’t really address Jones turning up and being asked to do a different job than he’d expected.
Must confess I’ve lost track on what he was hired to do?

Just read the article, and it says hired as attack coach ‘the job he did with SA’? I thought he did defence there. But IF promised Attack, then it adds up with Walters leaving.
Last edited by Banquo on Wed Sep 04, 2024 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

What happened to Borthwick's avowed intent for clarity? Maybe it did not apply to coaches.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Oakboy wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2024 8:28 am What happened to Borthwick's avowed intent for clarity? Maybe it did not apply to coaches.
Or us ? 😀😀
Puja

Post by Puja »

Banquo wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2024 8:12 am
Mikey Brown wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 6:34 pm Some more positive spin on things, yeah, but doesn’t really address Jones turning up and being asked to do a different job than he’d expected.

Just read the article, and it says hired as attack coach ‘the job he did with SA’? I thought he did defence there. But IF promised Attack, then it adds up with Walters leaving.
He was attack for SA in the last RWC cycle, although he'd done defence in the past. He was announced as signing to do the attack, way in advance, cause i remember being scathing when the rumours of Sinfield going first came up "because Jones is going to be attack, not replacing Sinfield."

It was all very confusing, but I had assumed that was only to the fans, and the people involved knew what was happening at all times. Apparently not...

Puja
Backist Monk
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Puja wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2024 9:26 am
Banquo wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2024 8:12 am

He was attack for SA in the last RWC cycle, although he'd done defence in the past. He was announced as signing to do the attack, way in advance, cause i remember being scathing when the rumours of Sinfield going first came up "because Jones is going to be attack, not replacing Sinfield."

It was all very confusing, but I had assumed that was only to the fans, and the people involved knew what was happening at all times. Apparently not...

Puja
👍👍 helpful, cheers
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Banquo

Post by Banquo »

fivepointer wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 5:34 pm One vacancy filled...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union ... dgkwe380jo
...high performing, fit glaws. hmmm
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

:|
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Banquo wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 5:39 pm
fivepointer wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 5:34 pm One vacancy filled...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union ... dgkwe380jo
...high performing, fit glaws. hmmm
Perhaps he was cheap? :?
Puja

Post by Puja »

To be fair, I can't say I've ever watched Glaws and thought they were lazy and unfit - it's all the other flaws that doom them. They've always looked very sprightly when running back to chase an oppo clean break, or getting around under their own posts.

And at least it's not another Leicester coach.

Puja
Backist Monk
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Puja wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 9:20 pm To be fair, I can't say I've ever watched Glaws and thought they were lazy and unfit - it's all the other flaws that doom them. They've always looked very sprightly when running back to chase an oppo clean break, or getting around under their own posts.

Puja
Yeah I can't remember Glaws fading towards the end of games. They've generally been mediocre throughout.

I'm guessing he's not the Aled replacement and is the S&C replacement so he should be fine.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Puja wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 9:20 pm To be fair, I can't say I've ever watched Glaws and thought they were lazy and unfit - it's all the other flaws that doom them. They've always looked very sprightly when running back to chase an oppo clean break, or getting around under their own posts.

Puja
as long as we are sprightly, I think SA will worry....

not sure where I mentioned they were lazy and unfit. But then again, I can't recall anyone remarking on how they lead the way, if we are to go to extremes :lol: .

Maybe you fitness gurus know much about Tobin? Hopefully Slightly Breathless has found a hidden diamond.
Last edited by Banquo on Fri Sep 06, 2024 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

FKAS wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 9:30 pm

Puja
Yeah I can't remember Glaws fading towards the end of games. They've generally been mediocre throughout.

I'm guessing he's not the Aled replacement and is the S&C replacement so he should be fine.
he is head of performance at glaws, so if your guess is correct, probs not that cheap.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Banquo wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 9:58 pm

Puja

not sure where I mentioned they were lazy and unfit. But then again, I can't recall anyone remarking on how they lead the way, if we are to go to extremes :lol: .

Maybe you fitness gurus know much about Tobin? Hopefully Slightly Breathless has found a hidden diamond.
I was more saying that, while picking a coach from Glaws might not look inspiring given their recent form, they aren't terrible in fitness, so it's not as bad an omen as picking a different-speciality Glaws coach would have been.

Guardian reckons that he's a replacement for Tombleson, the only one that was actually released rather than quitting, which hopefully means that Tobin is who Speedy Booking was actually looking for, rather than just who was closest and available to hire in a panic.

Puja
Backist Monk
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

"Tobin, 40 joins the England men's set-up in October from the Cherry and Whites where he worked as head of performance for the last eight years. Prior to his time at Kingsholm, Tobin spent a decade as a strength and conditioning coach at Leinster Rugby, and several years at the Dublin GAA Senior Football Team."
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

IF, Tobin is good, as a 40 year old product of the English game, I'd be tempted to think that was the way to go for all coaching appointments from now on. Maybe, it's better than paying over the odds for foreign mercenaries with no natural loyalty.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Banquo wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 10:01 pm

Puja

he is head of performance at glaws, so if your guess is correct, probs not that cheap.
How cheap or not he is will as always depend on notice period and salary. It's not always expensive to get people out of contract.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

FKAS wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2024 8:55 am
Banquo wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 10:01 pm

How cheap or not he is will as always depend on notice period and salary. It's not always expensive to get people out of contract.
another guess then :)
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Which Tyler wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2024 7:19 am "Tobin, 40 joins the England men's set-up in October from the Cherry and Whites where he worked as head of performance for the last eight years. Prior to his time at Kingsholm, Tobin spent a decade as a strength and conditioning coach at Leinster Rugby, and several years at the Dublin GAA Senior Football Team."
Yeah I read that. Just wondering if he is any good tbh and whether this was a plan, or just who was available.
Last edited by Banquo on Sat Sep 07, 2024 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Oakboy wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2024 8:46 am IF, Tobin is good, as a 40 year old product of the English game,
He's not though, he's Irish, before glaws with Leinster and GAA.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Puja wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2024 12:04 am
Banquo wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 9:58 pm

Puja

Tobin is who Speedy Booking was actually looking for, rather than just who was closest and available to hire in a panic.

Puja
feels like the latter but hopefully not.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Rumours about a British and Irish league being mooted, with Italy and South Africa just getting summarily ejected: https://www.planetrugby.com/news/south- ... e-favoured

I don't *hate* it, but it does seem to have several issues, not least of which is that we've only just managed to get league fixtures from overlapping with internationals, for the first time in forever, and now we're proposing having a larger league so that would have to happen again? Plus, it'd be the death knell for relegation, plus it's a bit cruel to Italy, plus the South African money is making the URC more viable than the Prem at present so why would they ditch them and join us, etc.

Puja
Backist Monk
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

It would also ruin the European competitions (which admittedly aren't European anymore) increase travel to away games and at some point we'd almost certainly end up cutting a team or so to reduce the fixture burden.

We'd be better off building up the second tier and BUCS competition via stronger university affiliation for professional teams.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

All we need are Cardiff and Swansea. Think it would benefit both leagues, and Welsh rugby as a whole.