Scots Abroad VIII (or let's spot the new messiah)

Moderator: OptimisticJock

Big D

Re: Scots Abroad VIII (or let's spot the new messiah)

Post by Big D »

Puja wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 9:47 am Calum Hunter-Hill leaves Saracens. Space for him at one of the regions?

Puja
Signs on at Northampton.
Big D

Post by Big D »

What a second half of the season for Kinghorn. Playing his part in two major final wins. Stuff dreams are made of.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Big D

Post by Big D »

He has done very well in a great team.
Adder

Post by Adder »

Jonny Gray on the Bench for Bordeaux this Saturday vs Stade Français.
Hog on the team for Montpellier against Lyon.

Actually quite interested in how Hogg does after the year off.
Adder

Post by Adder »

Adder wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 8:07 pm Jonny Gray on the Bench for Bordeaux this Saturday vs Stade Français.
Hog on the team for Montpellier against Lyon.

Actually quite interested in how Hogg does after the year off.

Kinghorn probably on the wing against newcomers Vannes this Sunday
Adder

Post by Adder »

Hogg had a decent first half and scored his first try.
Bossing the Montpellier backs in defence.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Adder wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2024 4:23 pm Hogg had a decent first half and scored his first try.
Bossing the Montpellier backs in defence.
I think he'll do well if fit. International days are behind him but already seen chatter about what would need to happen for him to play again. Won't happen.

I would never consider him for Scotland, and it wouldn't surprise me if privately he has told Montpellier he wouldn't make him self available.

There's going to be a lot of revisionism about Hoggs on field career based on what has happened off field.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I was curious and there’s a video of all his involvements from the game on YouTube. He looks a lot leaner again, and I imagine better for it. Much lighter on his feet than the last few years he played for Scotland.

Still a dropped high ball, missed tackles and a couple of wayward kicks in there, but looks sharper than I’d have expected after this long out.

Hopefully he can channel some of his issues/frustration in a positive way as a player, rather than just being a bitch on Twitter. I don’t know that he can redeem himself as a public figure and role model but keeping his head down would be the best thing for everyone.

He had big flaws as a player but I agree this sentiment that he’s a bit of a twat and therefore never was a good player is ridiculous. Absolutely no way back for Scotland though.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

The 32-year-old, who scored on his debut for French side Montpellier at the weekend, has returned to Scotland to stand trial over domestic abuse and stalking charges. Hogg was due at Jedburgh Sheriff Court on Tuesday having denied behaving in a way that caused his estranged wife, Gillian "fear and alarm" over a seven-year period between 2017 and 2024.

However, hours before the trial was due to get under way, it has emerged that the full-back has been arrested again over an alleged breach of bail conditions and stalking.
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... e-29903390

Incredible.
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

Mikey Brown wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 2:29 pm
The 32-year-old, who scored on his debut for French side Montpellier at the weekend, has returned to Scotland to stand trial over domestic abuse and stalking charges. Hogg was due at Jedburgh Sheriff Court on Tuesday having denied behaving in a way that caused his estranged wife, Gillian "fear and alarm" over a seven-year period between 2017 and 2024.

However, hours before the trial was due to get under way, it has emerged that the full-back has been arrested again over an alleged breach of bail conditions and stalking.
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... e-29903390

Incredible.

Depressing.

Taking nothing away from his abilities as a player, especially earlier in his career when he really was a great player, but unfortunately outside of rugby he appears to be a complete twat. :(
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Or not abroad. John Jeffries won't be on so many jollies having withdrawn his bid to succeed Bill Beaumont as chair of World Rugby.
SRU refused to back him
He is not a happy bunny
Big D

Post by Big D »

septic 9 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 4:54 pm Or not abroad. John Jeffries won't be on so many jollies having withdrawn his bid to succeed Bill Beaumont as chair of World Rugby.
SRU refused to back him
He is not a happy bunny
He isn't.

I'm still looking for someone to point me towards positive contributions in his roles with WR or the SRL board.

Being Scottish isn't enough of a reason to support his bid imo.