The Rugby Championship to determine the REAL Champions of the Rugby, for 2024

Moderator: morepork

J Dory

Re: The Rugby Championship to determine the REAL Champions of the Rugby, for 2024

Post by J Dory »

South Africa: 15 Willie le Roux, 14 Canan Moodie, 13 Jesse Kriel, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Cheslin Kolbe, 10 Handre Pollard, 9 Grant Williams, 8 Jasper Wiese, 7 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 6 Siya Kolisi (c), 5 Ruan Nortje, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Frans Malherbe, 2 Bongi Mbonambi, 1 Ox Nche

Replacements: 16 Malcolm Marx, 17 Gerhard Steenekamp, 18 Vincent Koch, 19 Kwagga Smith, 20 Elrigh Louw, 21 Jaden Hendrikse, 22 Sacha Feinberg-Mngomezulu, 23 Lukhanyo Am

New Zealand: 15 Will Jordan, 14 Sevu Reece, 13 Rieko Ioane, 12 Jordie Barrett, 11 Mark Tele’a, 10 Damian McKenzie, 9 Cortez Ratima, 8 Ardie Savea, 7 Sam Cane, 6 Wallace Sititi, 5 Tupou Vaa’i, 4 Scott Barrett (c), 3 Tyrel Lomax, 2 Codie Taylor, 1 Tamaiti Williams

Replacements: 16 Asafo Aumua, 17 Ofa Tu’ungafasi, 18 Fletcher Newell, 19 Sam Darry, 20 Luke Jacobson, 21 TJ Perenara, 22 Anton Lienert-Brown, 23 Beauden Barrett
J Dory

Re: The Rugby Championship to determine the REAL Champions of the Rugby, for 2024

Post by J Dory »

Happy to see Jordan get a run from full back, tough on Beauden, but maybe his impact off the bench is the best thing for the team. Even tougher for Clarke, victim of the depth at wing i guess. Sititi starts, nice.

Edit: Didn't realize Clarke was injured, hopefully he's back soon.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Bold team, with Clarke's injury, would have been easy just to bring Talea in and keep Barrett.

South Africa's changes are intrigying, but I never know what is going on with them. Kolisi somwhow recovered - more games there I suspect.

Can't wait.

Argentina Australia game will be intriguing too. I didn't think Australia were very impressive last week, but it was wet. At some point, Lolesio has to show has actually has what it takes (either by producing some big moments or cutting out the errors).
Puja

Post by Puja »

Cameo wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 6:26 am Bold team, with Clarke's injury, would have been easy just to bring Talea in and keep Barrett.

South Africa's changes are intrigying, but I never know what is going on with them. Kolisi somwhow recovered - more games there I suspect.

Can't wait.

Argentina Australia game will be intriguing too. I didn't think Australia were very impressive last week, but it was wet. At some point, Lolesio has to show has actually has what it takes (either by producing some big moments or cutting out the errors).
Lolesio's injured after last week - Australia must've walked through a hall of mirrors with a hammer at some point with all the injuries they keep picking up.

Puja
Backist Monk
morepork

Post by morepork »

Wallace having a good one.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

sh2t basics, sh2t goalkicking, wrong 10 and mullets. 6 is a good un tho. That is a very good saffar team tbf.
morepork

Post by morepork »

Rats cocks. Held tryless by the meat eaters. Boks are looking pretty good. Our bench was arse again. Rieko not the answer at 13. Telea keeps fluffing his lines. TJ has turned into a whiny little bitch. South African commentators pronunciation of Māori and Pasifika names is spot on. Take note Grant Nisbit (sp?).
morepork

Post by morepork »

We are in dire need of a fluid 9-10-12 axis.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

morepork wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2024 6:41 pm We are in dire need of a fluid 9-10-12 axis.
bb410
cashead

Post by cashead »

morepork wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2024 6:40 pm Rats cocks. Held tryless by the meat eaters. Boks are looking pretty good. Our bench was arse again. Rieko not the answer at 13. Telea keeps fluffing his lines. TJ has turned into a whiny little bitch. South African commentators pronunciation of Māori and Pasifika names is spot on. Take note Grant Nisbit (sp?).
It's a disappointing loss, because it felt very self-inflicted. Will come back to this later.

This was not a good Springbok team on the day, and the ABs forwards were generally all over them in the set-piece and the breakdown, outside of the first few scrums.

Bench was much better than last week too, IMO.

Telea and Reece are basically competing for the same jersey (14), and Telea is clearly struggling to adapt to the left wing. IMO, it should be Clarke at 11, and Telea or Reece at 14.

Sititi, Dog Roll, Big Tam and Taylor all had excellent games and Va'ai is really growing as a player. Not looking forward to Sam Cane finally hanging up his test boots, dude has a massive ticker.

I like Mackenzie, but yeah, I'm really wondering how much more time he needs at 10 because it's just not happening consistently enough. If Mo'unga is on his way back, it can't happen soon enough.

That said, it's self-inflicted because a lot of it were issues that come due to a lack of experience. However, the team has clearly been progressing, and there are a fair few positives to take out of this morning's test.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Shame on you, sweet Nerevar
J Dory

Post by J Dory »

I don't like this, losing. Can we start winning again please?
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

If I was a kiwi, I'd be disappointed but not overly worried about the future. They were well in both games and should have won them really.

For all the criticism of Mackenzie (who I am not convinced by at 10), they also showed a good ability to break down the rushed defence even if it didn't lead to any tries yesterday. In a year's time, I wouldn't be surprised to see Roigard and Mo'unga at 9 and 10 though, which would be tasty.

Sititi was good in attack, but did seem to miss a few tackles.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Oh, and Bongi Mbonambi going down to give the team a rest when it was getting a bit for SA then jogging happily to the lineout was a joke.

I don't have an answer for it that wouldn't risk meaning players who need checking up on aren't, but I hate it.

I'm sure SA would say this was a valid injury concern, and they may even be right on this occassion (though I doubt it) but the pattern is clear.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Cameo wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 8:09 pm Oh, and Bongi Mbonambi going down to give the team a rest when it was getting a bit for SA then jogging happily to the lineout was a joke.

I don't have an answer for it that wouldn't risk meaning players who need checking up on aren't, but I hate it.

I'm sure SA would say this was a valid injury concern, and they may even be right on this occassion (though I doubt it) but the pattern is clear.
quite a hard side to like, even if a very impressive array of players with lots of ways to win
Puja

Post by Puja »

Cameo wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 8:09 pm Oh, and Bongi Mbonambi going down to give the team a rest when it was getting a bit for SA then jogging happily to the lineout was a joke.

I feel like I can't criticise this, considering that taking a knee for an "injury" (often right where the penalty was awarded) is a go-to move of mine in my 3rd XV games.

Puja
Backist Monk
Spiffy

Post by Spiffy »

Banquo wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 12:56 pm

quite a hard side to like, even if a very impressive array of players with lots of ways to win
Both the Boks and ABs are cynical teams who will do anything they can get away with (like most others.) The ABs may be a just a little more subtle in their blocking, flopping etc.. but they are at it.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Spiffy wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 6:22 pm

Both the Boks and ABs are cynical teams who will do anything they can get away with (like most others.) The ABs may be a just a little more subtle in their blocking, flopping etc.. but they are at it.
The flopping and blocking are, unfortunately, part of the game. I don't like it but I see it as up to refs to penalise it (though I wouldn't put the All Blacks up there with Ireland and South Africa).

The timewasting I just find tedious - though I get your point Puja! The difference is at your level (and mine), tiredness really can feel like a life threatening injury.
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

Puja wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 3:14 pm

I feel like I can't criticise this, considering that taking a knee for an "injury" (often right where the penalty was awarded) is a go-to move of mine in my 3rd XV games.

Puja
Yup, we'd a prop who done this to maximum effect, it was just smart in our eyes!
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Spiffy wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 6:22 pm

Think SA take cynicism to the nth degree in every aspect, esp under Erasmus.

Yes most sides are cynical at the breakdown, none more so than Ireland tbh.