America

cashead

Re: America

Post by cashead »

You all know the chorus.

[you-tube][/you-tube]

Also glad that Michelle Obama took back the "we go high" shit. That only works if there is even a shred of good faith from the other side, and it comes off as decorum poisoned bullshit.

Also, about fucking time. Sound on.

I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Shame on you, sweet Nerevar
morepork

Post by morepork »

Oh fuck yes. Slam that zombie corpse into the cold hard ground. What a cunt.
Stom

Post by Stom »

That's brilliant. Some very good lines in there, lol.
morepork

Post by morepork »

cashead wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 1:34 am You all know the chorus.

[you-tube][/you-tube]

Also glad that Michelle Obama took back the "we go high" shit. That only works if there is even a shred of good faith from the other side, and it comes off as decorum poisoned bullshit.

Also, about fucking time.

You’d rather see, me in the pen
Than me and Lorenzo rolling in a Benzo
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

https://archive.ph/JG83Y
Texas Sues for Access to Records of Women Seeking Out-of-State Abortions

The lawsuit takes aim at federal privacy rules, including one enacted this year that Ken Paxton, the state attorney general, called “a backdoor attempt at weakening Texas’ laws.”

Texas has sued to block federal rules that prohibit investigators from viewing the medical records of women who travel out of state to seek abortions where the procedure is legal.

The lawsuit, filed on Wednesday in Federal District Court in Lubbock, targets medical privacy regulations that were issued in 2000, and takes aim at a rule issued in April that specifically bans disclosing medical records for criminal or civil investigations into “the mere act of seeking, obtaining, providing or facilitating reproductive health care.”

Texas bans abortions in almost all circumstances. Women are not subject to criminal prosecution for obtaining abortions, but state law imposes penalties of as much as life in prison for those who aid in obtaining abortions.

The lawsuit claims that the privacy rules ignore federal law that lets states view medical records “for law enforcement purposes.”

ARTICLE CONTINUES
Suing the government to ensure that Texan law extends to places not covered by Texan law...
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Which Tyler wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 3:55 pm
Puja wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:12 am Have you come across "Project 2025" before? It's a dedicated plan of action for the first year of a Trump administration, written up by a bunch of libertarian/theocratic/fascist government nerds, about how various loopholes, obscure presidential powers, and bureaucratic rules can be leveraged to completely and irrevocably change how America works.
It's terrifying.
Anyone who hasn't already, I highly recommend the John Oliver bit on it (Last week tonight, June 16th)

SkyGo

Via a VPN
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... oject-2024
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I didn't even realise this had happened. Anybody watch more of it?

I'm sure these clips are fairly selective but it looks just as I'd have expected. Live fact-checking really does destroy basically any point Trump has to make. I'm actually surprised that '> 9 month abortions' was seemingly his most radical claim here.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Also sounds like Taylor Swift has finally weighed in on Harris' side. I'd assumed she was going to keep out of it so as not to be 'divisive', but that could be an awful lot of young Dem voters who otherwise wouldn't have bothered.
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Mikey Brown wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 9:57 am

I'm sure these clips are fairly selective but it looks just as I'd have expected. Live fact-checking really does destroy basically any point Trump has to make. I'm actually surprised that '> 9 month abortions' was seemingly his most radical claim here.
I should try to watch it but these things can be pretty tiring.

Perhaps Taylor Swift's intervention will be more significant. Trump really brought it on himself.
Last edited by Son of Mathonwy on Wed Sep 11, 2024 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Mikey Brown wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 9:59 am Also sounds like Taylor Swift has finally weighed in on Harris' side. I'd assumed she was going to keep out of it so as not to be 'divisive', but that could be an awful lot of young Dem voters who otherwise wouldn't have bothered.
She backed Biden Harris last time, but is 4 years bigger I suppose.

Harris was very successful in rattling Trump and avoiding any awkward questions on policy. Spot on.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Mikey Brown wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 9:57 am

I was randomly up and about at 2.00, and remembered about the debate about half an hour in, so I had it on in the background.
She wiped the floor with him in the eyes of anyone with enough interest to even have it on in the background - but anyone with that level of involvement has already decided their vote anyway, so won't make a difference.

As for your surprise about >9 month abortions being the most radical claim, I'm not sure how much more radical you can get - literally accusing liberals of legalising infanticide.

There were plenty of whoppers in there though, and I don't think he provided an actual answer to any question at all; distracting pretty much all of them onto "immigration is bad", "Orban is good" and "Iran/NKorea/NATO/Russia/China are scared of ME!!!!!"
And of course "I'm not [whatever you just said I am] you're [what you said I am]"
Puja

Post by Puja »

Banquo wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 11:01 am
Mikey Brown wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 9:59 am Also sounds like Taylor Swift has finally weighed in on Harris' side. I'd assumed she was going to keep out of it so as not to be 'divisive', but that could be an awful lot of young Dem voters who otherwise wouldn't have bothered.

Harris was very successful in rattling Trump and avoiding any awkward questions on policy. Spot on.
I think Swift's actually maximised her political capital very astutely here. If she'd come in at the beginning, then it would've been a non-event - "Of course pop star supports liberal, whoop de do". By withholding it so long, she gave the impression that it might actually have been up for grabs (especially with her radio silence about the AI pictures that Trump used) and sparked dozens of click-bait articles about "Could Taylor endorse Trump?!?"

Now, she's got headlines, she's added to the impression that Harris won the debate with her timing, as well as reminding people of JD Vance's existence, and she's become politically relevant and powerful which is good for her brand. It's clever work.

I don't know it'll make a massive difference to the polls, but it will improve turnout of Harris's base (especially if she backs it up with reminders to go vote), and it could've been existentially bad for Harris if she had not endorsed at all or endorsed Trump.

Puja
Backist Monk
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Puja wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 12:08 pm

and it could've been existentially bad for Harris if she had not endorsed at all or endorsed Trump.

Puja
agreed timing was smart- its one of her USP's tbh-, but she was never doing the above, having endorsed biden/harris in 2020
Puja

Post by Puja »

Banquo wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 12:36 pm

and it could've been existentially bad for Harris if she had not endorsed at all or endorsed Trump.

Puja
agreed timing was smart- its one of her USP's tbh-, but she was never doing the above, having endorsed biden/harris in 2020
Generally agreed (and it's easier to say now that she has come out in favour), but the fact that she hadn't endorsed already was making a few Dem analysts have a few squeaky bums. Up until yesterday, there was the impression that there was a distinct possibility of her "not being political" and not making an endorsement at all (which would've been a damning endorsement in and of itself).

Puja
Backist Monk
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Puja wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 1:10 pm
Banquo wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 12:36 pm

Puja
Generally agreed (and it's easier to say now that she has come out in favour), but the fact that she hadn't endorsed already was making a few Dem analysts have a few squeaky bums. Up until yesterday, there was the impression that there was a distinct possibility of her "not being political" and not making an endorsement at all (which would've been a damning endorsement in and of itself).

Puja
Not sure why as she declared last time. Whatevs 😂
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Banquo wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 1:51 pm Not sure why as she declared last time. Whatevs 😂
IIRC, declared about half an hour after the VP debate - making it fairly obvious it's Harris she endorses
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Which Tyler wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 1:59 pm
Banquo wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 1:51 pm Not sure why as she declared last time. Whatevs 😂
IIRC, declared about half an hour after the VP debate - making it fairly obvious it's Harris she endorses
Cheers
morepork

Post by morepork »

Taylor Pissing Swift. Has it come to this? Has Chuck Norris weighed in yet? Maybe Justin Bieber could help direct public servant effort for the benefit of those of us in the real world.

Favorite moment from the debate? When Trump accused immigrants of eating dogs.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

morepork wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 3:25 pm Taylor Pissing Swift. Has it come to this? Has Chuck Norris weighed in yet? Maybe Justin Bieber could help direct public servant effort for the benefit of those of us in the real world.

Its all gone a bit Pete Tong....
Stom

Post by Stom »

morepork wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 3:25 pm Taylor Pissing Swift. Has it come to this? Has Chuck Norris weighed in yet? Maybe Justin Bieber could help direct public servant effort for the benefit of those of us in the real world.

"You see, that's the state official, we can't trust him. I saw it on TV, it must be true"...lol
Puja

Post by Puja »

Hey, Ronald Reagan was just an actor and he got to be the worst President that America ever had. And Trump was just a reality star and he was one of the worst Presiden... I honestly don't know how I thought this argument was helping.

Puja
Backist Monk
morepork

Post by morepork »

He’s a busted flush with a single record in his vinyl collection that plays the same Jim Crow era song ad nauseum. Looking forward to Kid Rock weighing in.
Son of Mathonwy

Jesus, I've watched it now. No big hits on either side really. No one looked rattled or on the ropes. Yes, Trump lied a lot but he mostly got away with it, even repeating the same lie about executing babies after he was brought up on it the first time. He generally was allowed to speak whenever he wanted to make a response. The news guys were pretty good but still not strict enough on him (I guess they didn't have control of the mute button for his mike).

Gaza is fucked either way, clearly.
J Dory

Post by J Dory »

Was playground level shit at times. I thought Harris did what she needed to, but was disappointed that we don't have a candidate willing to stand up there and talk about policy going forward, face off against the hard questions etc. Hopefully she's done enough.

Anyone that votes for Trump is a fat idiot, also, Trump is a fat idiot.
Son of Mathonwy

Oh yeah, I was surprised that Harris didn't call him a criminal a few times but I guess they've calculated that the swing voters aren't actually bothered.