What next for 24/25?

Moderator: Puja

Puja

Re: What next for 24/25?

Post by Puja »

Mellsblue wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 4:55 pm All we need are Cardiff and Swansea. Think it would benefit both leagues, and Welsh rugby as a whole.
Still mourning the missed opportunities of 1999.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mr Mwenda

Post by Mr Mwenda »

Why do we need Cardiff and Swansea over any of the others?
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Mr Mwenda wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 8:02 pm Why do we need Cardiff and Swansea over any of the others?
Historic rivalries and geography.
Mr Mwenda

Post by Mr Mwenda »

I always find that odd. Do these rivalries still resonate for people? I ask because I don't care for them more than the rest - I've just heard increasingly elderly people wax lyrical about cross border friendlies (whatever they were).
Puja

Post by Puja »

Mr Mwenda wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 8:42 pm I always find that odd. Do these rivalries still resonate for people? I ask because I don't care for them more than the rest - I've just heard increasingly elderly people wax lyrical about cross border friendlies (whatever they were).
Quite a bit actually. The West Country is full of ex-pat Welsh (and South Wales full of ex-West Country people who realised remote working meant they could go for cheaper housing, from recent anecdote) and there's quite a bit of interest in cross-border stuff - Cardiff had their best crowd of the season when Bath came to play last year.

Whether it would last if it was every season, I don't know, but it'd be an additional derby for the likes of Bath, Glaws, and Brizzle and would be a good earner for the Welsh. If it were possible to have a 58 week year, then I'd have the Welsh sides in the Prem in a heartbeat.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Puja wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 9:07 pm
Mr Mwenda wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 8:42 pm I always find that odd. Do these rivalries still resonate for people? I ask because I don't care for them more than the rest - I've just heard increasingly elderly people wax lyrical about cross border friendlies (whatever they were).
Quite a bit actually. The West Country is full of ex-pat Welsh (and South Wales full of ex-West Country people who realised remote working meant they could go for cheaper housing, from recent anecdote) and there's quite a bit of interest in cross-border stuff - Cardiff had their best crowd of the season when Bath came to play last year.

Whether it would last if it was every season, I don't know, but it'd be an additional derby for the likes of Bath, Glaws, and Brizzle and would be a good earner for the Welsh. If it were possible to have a 58 week year, then I'd have the Welsh sides in the Prem in a heartbeat.

Puja
Yep, double whammy of strengthening SW rugby even further and helping Welsh rugby strengthen (you’d hope) which, as funny as it is watching them being terrible, is also good for European rugby as a whole. It would also bring away fans to top flight Welsh rugby which is the second biggest gripe about URC other than the regions being regions (albeit that’s slowly being unwound).

I’m sure we could fit two more sides in the league without too much messing with the calendar.
Mr Mwenda

Post by Mr Mwenda »

Ok, fair enough. That seems persuasive. Perhaps add Edinburgh as well so Newcastle get a derby as well?
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Surely, English rugby would only get improvement potential by combining with Irish sides. Playing against Welsh or Scottish teams helps their rugby but not ours. There may be financial advantages but not playing-standard ones. Arguing that financial gain produces stability followed by playing development may have theoretical validity. I suspect it would do little in the race to overtake France, SA, NZ or Ireland.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

I mean from a purely geographical standpoint it's insane that wales play in a league with south africa and not us. When I use an app to find a car near me and you extend the distance as the crow flies swansea and cardiff are closer to me than bristol or bath. Even dublin is closer to me than london.

If you take a step back from it all it doesn't seem sustainable to fly an entire squad of people 6 thousand miles away for a league game. I know that's not exactly the point that was being discussed but worth thinking about.
Mr Mwenda

Post by Mr Mwenda »

twitchy wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 9:26 am

If you take a step back from it all it doesn't seem sustainable to fly an entire squad of people 6 thousand miles away for a league game. I know that's not exactly the point that was being discussed but worth thinking about.
Personally, I think it is appalling. Rugby has got absurdly casual about travel, which is surely unsustainable in the current climate. There seems to be a dearth of ideas beyond add more countries/teams/travel. Not that I have any beyond the suspicion that the whole pro game is going to shrink massively.
Last edited by Mr Mwenda on Sat Sep 14, 2024 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Oakboy wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 8:56 am Surely, English rugby would only get improvement potential by combining with Irish sides. Playing against Welsh or Scottish teams helps their rugby but not ours. There may be financial advantages but not playing-standard ones. Arguing that financial gain produces stability followed by playing development may have theoretical validity. I suspect it would do little in the race to overtake France, SA, NZ or Ireland.
Financial improvement is not to be sniffed at. It’s a professional sport that fails to make ends meet, money is vital. Whether they’d use it well is a different matter.
I’d also argue that two Welsh pro sides in a vibrant league could replicate what the Ireland provinces provide quality wise.
More to the point, Ireland has four sides and I’d say everyone now agrees that at 12 team league isn’t optimal.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Joe El-Abd, Paul Gustard and Norman Laker are rumoured to be in the running to takeover from Felix Jones.

Laker is with Stormers as the defence coach
Gustard is the defence coach with Stade Francais
El-Abd is head coach at Oyannax
Puja

Post by Puja »

Announcement due by the end of the month, apparently, with rumours being that El-Abd is the favourite. Do his teams blitz, does anyone know?

Puja
Backist Monk
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

FKAS wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 3:54 pm Joe El-Abd, Paul Gustard and Norman Laker are rumoured to be in the running to takeover from Felix Jones.

also Easter, I believe.

Gustard not a bad shout
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Puja wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 4:29 pm Announcement due by the end of the month, apparently, with rumours being that El-Abd is the favourite. Do his teams blitz, does anyone know?

Puja
There was an article about him in The Times a couple of weeks ago. From my sieve like memory, he does (did) employ blitz but not the hair on fire F Jones version. I put did in brackets as, iirc, he’s been a head coach for the last handful of years so previous d systems he’s coached may not give clues to his current preference. More importantly, perhaps, given the recent destabilising losses, he and Suitably Befriended are bff’s from uni days.
Last edited by Mellsblue on Mon Sep 16, 2024 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Banquo wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 4:45 pm
FKAS wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 3:54 pm Joe El-Abd, Paul Gustard and Norman Laker are rumoured to be in the running to takeover from Felix Jones.

also Easter, I believe.

Gustard not a bad shout
Another blow for the Champ to take on the Chinnor.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Mellsblue wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 4:52 pm
Puja wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 4:29 pm Announcement due by the end of the month, apparently, with rumours being that El-Abd is the favourite. Do his teams blitz, does anyone know?

Puja
There was an article about him in The Times a couple of weeks ago. From my sieve like memory, he does (did) employ blitz but not the hair on fire F Jones version. I put did in brackets as, iirc, he’s been a head coach for the last handful of years so previous d systems he’s coached may not give clues to his current preference. More importantly, perhaps, given the recent destabilising losses, he and Suitably Befriended are bff’s from uni days.
Good knowledge; thanks. Occurred to me as well that it's heavily rumoured that FJones will be staying until the end of the year, so if we do want to keep the same/similar defensive system, there could potentially be a handover period.

Puja
Backist Monk
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Mellsblue wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 4:53 pm

also Easter, I believe.

Gustard not a bad shout
Another blow for the Champ to take on the Chinnor.
Indeed. Though might help Chinnor's p and l given the shafting they got over PRC.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

also Easter, I believe.

Gustard not a bad shout
BBC reporting Laker, Gustard and El-Abd have met with Borthwick. Nothing further on Easter at this point.
Puja

Post by Puja »

I'd be happy with Laker or El-Abd. Not sure I'd be thrilled about Gustard coming back - his defence was very leaky in his last England stint and I still remember that awful South Africa tour where we took them apart ball in hand and then threw away huge leads, two weeks in a row. Immediately after that we ditched him for Mitchell and our defence immediately tightened up.

Entirely possible he's grown as a coach since then, mind. It has been a few years.

Puja
Backist Monk
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Puja wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 7:35 pm I'd be happy with Laker or El-Abd. Not sure I'd be thrilled about Gustard coming back - his defence was very leaky in his last England stint and I still remember that awful South Africa tour where we took them apart ball in hand and then threw away huge leads, two weeks in a row. Immediately after that we ditched him for Mitchell and our defence immediately tightened up.

Entirely possible he's grown as a coach since then, mind. It has been a few years.

Puja
El-Abd would be a very interesting acquisition. He's done pretty well on a relatively small budget over in France. Oyonnax isn't a bustling cosmopolitan city or a sunny landing spot in the French Riviera. It's a town of 22k near the border with Switzerland. He's got to be a good leader as well as a decent tactician to make that work against some of the wealthy French sides. Must be pretty charismatic to talk some of players into choosing a quiet town in the mountains instead of somewhere with more going on, it's not an easy sell.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

FKAS wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 7:18 pm

also Easter, I believe.

Gustard not a bad shout
BBC reporting Laker, Gustard and El-Abd have met with Borthwick. Nothing further on Easter at this point.
he must have missed the cut
Puja

Post by Puja »

Banquo wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 10:42 pm

also Easter, I believe.

Gustard not a bad shout
Torygraph now saying between Gustard and El-Abd. It's like an episode of Survivor.

Puja
Backist Monk
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Puja wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 11:56 pm
Banquo wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 10:42 pm

Torygraph now saying between Gustard and El-Abd. It's like an episode of Survivor.

Puja
Realistically neither club are going to sanction the early release of their coach so whilst they serve their notice Felix Jones is likely to have to serve his.
jimKRFC

Post by jimKRFC »

Joe El-Abd was immense for Bristol - total commitment and a lovely guy.