Premiership Predictions Thread - 2024/25 Turbo Championship Edition

Moderator: Puja

Puja

Premiership Predictions Thread - 2024/25 Turbo Championship Edition

Post by Puja »

Holy shit, the Premiership's starting on Friday. Last year, I was allowed to get away with my chronic disorganisation leading to a late predictions thread, cause it was in the middle of the RWC and we had other things to complain about, but this year it's just that it's suddenly become the end of September without any warning.

As always, you are expected to go big and bold with predictions - if you do something like predict "Feyi-Waboso for breakthrough player" then you won't be eligible to win any of the fabulous prizes.

Actually, that's all a lie. The only prizes on offer are vicious mockery from everyone at the end of the season over how terrible your predictions were, and that's open to everyone all the time, but still, best to be bold and try something big and exciting, cause you're going to get it wrong either way.

Categories are as follows:

Premiership Winner:

Table order:

European predictions - how will the English teams do?

Top try scorer:

Top points scorer:

Surprise of the season:

Biggest disappointment:

Player having a breakthrough season:
I would say anyone with an international cap or who has 20+ Prem starts isn't eligible here. Pick an actual newbie!

Best signing:
I find this useful: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2 ... _transfers

Best unheralded signing:

The [Redacted] Award for lowest performance to hype ratio from a new signing:

The Jerome Schuster Award for most pointless signing:

Puja
Backist Monk
Puja

Re: Premiership Predictions Thread - 2024/25 Turbo Championship Edition

Post by Puja »

Premiership Winner: I think this year will be Bath's year. Northampton are weaker with the players leaving, while Bath have kept the band together for another go.

Table order: Gods that was tough. Picked the top 2 and the bottom 2 and then the rest could've been picked at random for all the confidence I have in my placings.
Bath
Northampton
Saracens
Sale
Leicester
Exeter
Quins
Bristol
Newcastle
Gloucester

European predictions - how will the English teams do? Gods only know. Let's say 3 teams get through to the quarters and two get through to the semi-finals of the last ever European Cup.

Top try scorer: I'm going to be boring and say Sleightholme doing the double.

Top points scorer: Pollard

Surprise of the season: Newcastle are highly competitive and have a decent chunk of the season where they're angling for Euro qualification, before falling away under injuries.

Biggest disappointment: A bunch of hyped English talent barely gets any gametime - Brantingham, Pepper, Fasogbon, Wimbush, Hartley

Player having a breakthrough season: This is hope over expectation - I'm hoping it's Carnduff. Given Leicester's recent history with promoting young talent and the number of journeymen in his path, I think I'm going to be wrong and should've added him to the biggest disappointment list, but I'm really hoping.

Best signing: Not many blockbusters this season. I'm gonna say Nicky Smith, cause he looks like the missing piece in that Leicester tight five.

Best unheralded signing: Cam Nield to Newcastle. I think Diamond's at his best with no budget and just making a hard-nosed team that's difficult to beat and Nield's the epitome of that.

The [Redacted] Award for lowest performance to hype ratio from a new signing: Christian Wade. Never should've left rugby and I don't think a misfiring Glaws will provide him with the ammo he needs.

The Jerome Schuster Award for most pointless signing: Will Addison - Sale have enough talent in their backs that I don't think they'll need him.
Backist Monk
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Categories are as follows:

Premiership Winner:
Bath - this may be heart over head, but we were so damned close last year, and the most stable off-season of the obvious rivals

Table order:
Bath
Sale
Northampton
Harlequins
Exeter
Saracens
Leicester
Bristol
Newcastle
Gloucester

Don't really care - too many teams, too many saffers and a terrible format (again) - not to mention a pool of death for Bath, so - mediocre, 3 QFs, 1 SF

Top try scorer:
IFW

Top points scorer:
FSmith

Surprise of the season:
No-one goes bust

Biggest disappointment:
Even with half-backs, Gloucester are still shit

I would say anyone with an international cap or who has 20+ Prem starts isn't eligible here. Pick an actual newbie!

Meanie - I'm sure I remember Will Evans getting newbie of the year in something like his 3rd/4th season with 20+ appearances!
I'm going with Sam Harris again - IIRC he was my nomination last year, and missed most of the season through injury

Best signing:
No real big ones this year; but I'm going with Pepper to Bath - think he might even displace Underhill in the starting XV (or start alongside him)

Best unheralded signing:
Again, they're all a bit unheralded this year, so WGC for Exeter - heralded on rugby boards, but not in the press, and even so, coming from the Championship, so IMO he counts.

Another tough one, with minimal hype over anyone, so I'll go with a Gloucester half-back... Tomos Williams

Leigh Halfpenny - just... why?
Last edited by Which Tyler on Tue Sep 17, 2024 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Premiership Winner: sorry to be boring but I’m also going to go with Bath for the reasons already given. They’ve added some very good signings to an already strong squad and Russell has had a year to fully gel with some very dangerous backs.

Table order: Unbelievably hard. I don’t think there will be too many points between 3rd and 8th.

I will go with:

1. Bath
2. Sale
3. Northampton
4. Harlequins
5. Saracens
6. Leicester
7. Exeter
8. Bristol
9. Gloucester
10. Newcastle

European predictions - how will the English teams do? 2 QFs 1 SF.

Top try scorer: I'm going to take a wildly optimistic punt on Isgro.

Top points scorer: Finn Russell

Surprise of the season: Saracens fail to make the play offs. I try to manifest this every year, but this time I think they may well struggle. A lot is going to depend on how Burke and/or Johnson settle in at 10.

Biggest disappointment: A deserving Championship side loses out on promotion in the new bottom vs. top play off.

Player having a breakthrough season: Nathan Jibulu. Riley has got most of the attention at Quins but I fancy Jibulu to leapfrog everyone and make the 2 shirt his own.

Best signing: Rodrigo Isgro. Might be wishful thinking here but I think he could be deadly at Quins.

Best unheralded signing: Corne Beets. Doesn’t arrive for a while but I think he’ll make a big impact for Tigers when he lands.

The [Redacted] Award for lowest performance to hype ratio from a new signing: Bill Mata. Past his best and already injured.

The Jerome Schuster Award for most pointless signing: Damn you @Which! Halfpenny was going to be my pick. I’ll go for another ageing Wales player and take Anscombe. I predict he gets injured early on and never re-appears.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Premiership Winner: Bath (hopefully this is us all applying the jinx)

Table order:
Bath
Saints
Sale
Saracens
Tigers
Quins
Chiefs
Bristol
Falcons
Glaws

European predictions - how will the English teams do? We somehow get a team into the final.

Top try scorer: Ollie Sleightholme

Top points scorer: George Ford

Surprise of the season: Tigers have a head coach that lasts more than 12 months (third time the charm)

Biggest disappointment: conservative abounds and we don't see any of the talented youngsters get game time.

Player having a breakthrough season: Paul Bampoe-Brown let's get on the hype train for the next Exeter signing from nowhere

Best signing: Nicky Smith, Tigers desperately needed a first choice loosehead and they went out and got one

Best unheralded signing: Keiran Wilkinson gives Falcons some much needed quality at 10, they've had some good fortune with 10s called Wilkinson... (I also think Will Wand might prove to be a useful addition for Tigers from Coventry).

The [Redacted] Award for lowest performance to hype ratio from a new signing: Rhys Carre relatively big name move for the Welsh international prop to return to Sarries having spurned offers to remain in Wales. The Welsh equivalent of Keiran Brookes, can the Sarries S&C team help him find another level otherwise he might well get left behind sharpish.

The Jerome Schuster Award for most pointless signing: Tomos Williams, cause when your pack is a bit meh what you need is another decent scrum half on big money. Especially when you've got three half decent options including an international.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Premiership Winner: Bath. Everything is in line for them to go one step further.

Table order: Bath, Saints, Sale, Quins, Saracens, Leicester, Bristol, Exeter, Gloucester, Newcastle

European predictions - how will the English teams do? Poorly. 2 QF's

Top try scorer: Sleightholme

Top points scorer: Russell

Surprise of the season: The English game settles down, there is harmony between clubs and England, the national side do really well and a new era of dominance begins.

Biggest disappointment: One of the clubs go bust

Player having a breakthrough season: Hopefully Carnduff but i'm also keeping fingers crossed for Wimbush.

Best signing: Think Saracens have done well to bring in Brantingham and Spink

Best unheralded signing: West to Saints

The [Redacted] Award for lowest performance to hype ratio from a new signing: Mata at Bristol

The Jerome Schuster Award for most pointless signing: Halfpenny
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Ha. I tried to do this (as I always regret not bothering) without looking at anybody else's and also had Halfpenny down for the final award.

I had West unheralded and Anscombe to stay fit, but really couldn't settle on any of the others. Fergus Burke switched several times between most overhyped and signing of the season. I find it impossible to separate head from heart with these predicitons.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

fivepointer wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 10:57 am
Surprise of the season: The English game settles down, there is harmony between clubs and England, the national side do really well and a new era of dominance begins.

Biggest disappointment: One of the clubs go bust
Talk about hedging your bets!!!!
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Not sure Saints will be anything like as good- front 5, well lock, is pretty weak.
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Mikey Brown wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 11:37 am Ha. I tried to do this (as I always regret not bothering) without looking at anybody else's and also had Halfpenny down for the final award.

I had West unheralded and Anscombe to stay fit, but really couldn't settle on any of the others. Fergus Burke switched several times between most overhyped and signing of the season. I find it impossible to separate head from heart with these predicitons.
I found the table order and ‘most overhyped’ the most difficult categories.

Incoming transfers have been very low key for the most part and have had very little hype or fanfare. In some respects I’m pleased there hasn’t been much about Burke. In the past an EQ Kiwi 10 would probably have been hailed as the next big thing for England. I’ll take it as a positive reflection on the Smiths and Ford that it hasn’t been mentioned at all.

On the breakthrough players, I also wanted to mention Will Hobson. He’s been on the periphery at Quins for a while now but is apparently the strongest player at the club and well regarded as a scrummager. He could well be the heir to Collier which could also be good for England down the line.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Scrumhead wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 11:59 am
Mikey Brown wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 11:37 am Ha. I tried to do this (as I always regret not bothering) without looking at anybody else's and also had Halfpenny down for the final award.

I found the table order and ‘most overhyped’ the most difficult categories.

Incoming transfers have been very low key for the most part and have had very little hype or fanfare. In some respects I’m pleased there hasn’t been much about Burke. In the past an EQ Kiwi 10 would probably have been hailed as the next big thing for England. I’ll take it as a positive reflection on the Smiths and Ford that it hasn’t been mentioned at all.

On the breakthrough players, I also wanted to mention Will Hobson. He’s been on the periphery at Quins for a while now but is apparently the strongest player at the club and well regarded as a scrummager. He could well be the heir to Collier which could also be good for England down the line.
Hobson played for us one game last season, then against us the next. Weird.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Scrumhead wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 11:59 amI found the table order and ‘most overhyped’ the most difficult categories.
Here here.
I think Bath are the only team who look stronger on paper than last year - and my natural optimism wants me think we've a bad season coming, and bump us down a few places - but then Saints and Sarries are frankly weaker, so should also bump down... Sale ought to be better for having time for Ford to settle in better, but have lost the likes of Nield and Tuilagi... Exeter have another year into their kids, but then they also over-performed last year... Gloucester with 2 new international half-backs should be better - but then they still haven't fixed their tight 5, and those half-backs are old and injury prone...

And I don't think there's been any hype around any of the transfers, so who's had too much? The gods alone know!

I'd add European Cup performances, because... I really don't care about that competition in its current format. Thank gods Bath have avoided any Saffers, but we DO have La Rochelle and Leinster. At least I can watch* us in the pool stages, but I suspect all the English teams will be focussed on the Prem, rather than trying to go deep in Europe (less so for those in the Challenge Cup, I guess).
*I say "watch" but, you know - yet another broadcaster... so maybe if I can find an illegal that still works.
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Bath already had a very good squad and their incoming players are a good bit better than the outgoing ones. Pepper is a great catch and I think Moloney and Jacques du Plessis are two unheralded signings who will add a lot of quality and grit.

Sale are probably next best placed mostly by virtue of being a settled side. Wiese and James will be missed but Roets and Nayacelavu will probably fill those gaps and a fit Tom Curry will be like a new signing.

For everyone else there are caveats and unknowns.

I put Tigers in 6th but I could just as easily see Cheika making a big impact and them having a decent tilt at the title.

On the plus side, Quins have a new (badly needed) defence coach but OTOH we haven’t replaced Esterhuizen who has been a pivotal part of our gameplan. Murley’s injury is also a big blow which may not be felt if Isgro hits the ground running. How we adapt to all of the above is going to make or break our season.

I feel like Saints needed to win last year because I think the post-Lawes era will be challenging. They still have some top players but losing Lawes, Ludlam and Moon from their starting pack will surely hurt. I think they will be there or thereabouts but not at the level they were last time out.

As I said in my prediction, I think Saracens’ season hinges on how their new 10s settle. They have lost a ton of experience in one fell swoop - no Farrell, Vunipolas, Maitland or Lewington will make a big difference and it finally feels like they’ll be operating on a more level playing field. I don’t think they will make the play offs but that’s possibly just wishful thinking.

Of the rest, I do think Gloucester and Newcastle will be more competitive this season, I just don’t think they’re at the same level as the others. Bristol and Exeter could be anywhere between 4th and 8th. I find them both very hard to gauge.
jimKRFC

Post by jimKRFC »

Premiership Winner: Bath

Table order:
Bath
Sale
Saracens
Bristol (probably wildly over optimistic of me)
Saints
Tigers
Quins
Chiefs
Falcons
Glaws

European predictions - how will the English teams do? 2 teams in the semi's - Bath & Sarries

Top try scorer: Ibitoye

Top points scorer: Ford

Surprise of the season: Diamond makes little difference to Newcs

Biggest disappointment: Bath winning the league & not being crap.

Kloska at prop, most of his prem appearances have been hooker so think he counts

Best signing: Nicky Smith

Best unheralded signing: Benjamin Elizalde

Either Mata or Cheika.... I'll go for Mata though.

Kwenzo Blose... mainly as I have no idea who he is.
Epaminondas Pules

Post by Epaminondas Pules »

Premiership Winner:
Northampton

Table order:
Bath
Northampton
Sale
Leicester
Saracens
Exeter
Harlequins
Bristol
Gloucester
Newcastle

3 x Quarter Final

Top try scorer:
Sleightholne

Top points scorer:
George Ford

Surprise of the season:
No more coaches leave England.

Biggest disappointment:
The European cup in all its glory, being an utterly shite format on Premier sports. Just an all round shit show!

Ooh tough. Henry Pollock is one. I think Tobias Elliot will get a decent amount of game time at Sarries, and I wouldn;t bet against Gus Hall getting into the first team, despite his age. louie Johnson is another there that could really flourish. Carnduff at Tigers is one I hope to see, and Fasogbon at Glaws. Sela maybe just starting to nudge into that matchday squad. Pollock would be my choice though.

Best signing:
I think I'd go Phil Brantingham to Sarries. They needed to replace Mako and I think its a match made in heaven for both. Also one eye on Sam Spink joining too. For Falcons I'm interested to see if Ethan Grayson can kick on.

One signing that could be worthwhile, and hopefully a champ club will, is Mark Dormer who was released by Newcastle at the end of last season.

Best unheralded signing:
Kofi Cripps to Bristol.

Is there hype around any of the signings? Fergus Burke maybe.

Mata or Halfpenny
Puja

Post by Puja »

Sela's got a tough ask to see any game time for Bath with Stuart, Du Toit, and Griffin ahead of him, hasn't he?

Puja
Backist Monk
Epaminondas Pules

Post by Epaminondas Pules »

Puja wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 9:59 am Sela's got a tough ask to see any game time for Bath with Stuart, Du Toit, and Griffin ahead of him, hasn't he?

Puja
He has indeed, but might start getting around the matchday squad during the season. Players will get injured, or otherwise unavailable. It's only Y2 out of school.
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Here’s what a ‘Supercomputer’ thinks: https://www.rugbypass.com/news/simulato ... rediction/

Really not sure what data it’s basing it on as there are some odd predictions here?

For example, Quins to win 10 and lose 8 sounds about right but to only get 4 try bonus points from those 10 wins would be very unlike Quins.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

It's rugbypass - by "supercomputer" they mean "ChatGPT - write me an article on the upcoming Premiership season - give it a clickbait title"
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Scrumhead wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 2:10 pm Here’s what a ‘Supercomputer’ thinks: https://www.rugbypass.com/news/simulato ... rediction/

Really not sure what data it’s basing it on as there are some odd predictions here?

For example, Quins to win 10 and lose 8 sounds about right but to only get 4 try bonus points from those 10 wins would be very unlike Quins.
4 try bonus points from the 8 losses would be a more Quinsy stat.
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Well we got 11 try BPs and 4 losing BPs for the past 2 seasons running so their prediction of a 75% reduction in both is interesting …
Adam_P

Post by Adam_P »

Premiership Winner:
Lets go with heart and say Saints, because I don't want to add another comment saying Bath!

Table order:
Bath
Saints
Sale
Tigers
Quins
Saracens
Brisol
Exeter
Glos
Newcastle

Struggling to care still, but lets say two clubs into the semis.

Top try scorer:
Sleightholme

Top points scorer:
F Smith

Surprise of the season:
Cheika does the business at Tigers and gets them playing somewhere near their potential.

Biggest disappointment:
None of the hopefuls at centre really press on and make a solid case for England duty.

Pollock

Best signing:
Kemeny - has been quality in pre season and I think is going to be an upgrade on Ludlam

Best unheralded signing:
Tried to convince myself that I'd not be completely Saints-centric on this, but what the hell - I think Luke Green is going to be a real decent option at tighthead

Nayacalevu - because I expect him to be excellent but have a feeling he might end up injured for a fair amount of the season.

It's been said many times already, but it's hard to see past Halfpenny here. I remember saying 'what the hell?!' when Quins announced him.
Last edited by Adam_P on Wed Sep 18, 2024 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Luke Green is definitely on my ‘watch list’. I’m also very curious to see how George Smith does. If he can make the most of his physical potential, he could be very interesting indeed.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Premiership Winner:
Probably Bath but that's everyone's pick and there's no mileage in it so I'm going with Leicester. Cheika is really good and theres no real holes in the squad.

Table order:
Bath
Saracens
Leicester
Northampton
Quins
Exeter
Bristol
Sale
Gloucester
Newcastle

European predictions -
The French teams and Lenister crush all, leading to another new format for the following year

Top try scorer:
Feyi-Waboso goes crazy

Top points scorer:
Marcus Smith

Surprise of the season:
Sale have a difficult season and fall away sharply, even as they cement themselves as the most boring team in the league

Biggest disappointment:
Red cards ruin an average of two games a week, and players just don't learn and adapt.

Louis Johnson supplants Burke as first choice by the end of the year.

Best signing:
Perese adds force at Leicester and complements Kelly well

Best unheralded signing:
Molony carves out a solid role at Bath

Chawatama is not a Sinkler replacement

Rhys Carre and Luis de Bruin barely see the field at Series and Newcastle respectively
Stom

Post by Stom »

Premiership Winner: Quins

Table order:
Bath
Saints
Quins
Saracens
Exeter
Leicester
Sale
Newcastle
Briz
Glaws

2 semis

Top try scorer:
IFW

Top points scorer:
F Smith

Surprise of the season:
Newcastle aren't crap

Biggest disappointment:
Saracens aren't crap

Cassius Cleaves

Best signing:
I find this useful: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2 ... _transfers

Neild for Newcastle

Best unheralded signing:

Lamositele

Anscombe

Jimmy Roots