Good TV Shows

Mikey Brown

Re: Good TV Shows

Post by Mikey Brown »

► Show Spoiler
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Did anyone watch Rillington Place, I have it recorded, Tim Roth is normally very good.
Adder

Post by Adder »

FRONTIER = CR@P

The acting, the storyline and the dialogues are painful.

It's supposed to be about the Hudson Bay company trying to preserve it's hold on the fur trade as they face rivalry from "independent", French, Scottish and American merchants.
This sounded very promising but the characters are very badly written and full of Cliches.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Adder wrote:Image

FRONTIER = CR@P

It's supposed to be about the Hudson Bay company trying to preserve it's hold on the fur trade as they face rivalry from "independent", French, Scottish and American merchants.
This sounded very promising but the characters are very badly written and full of Cliches.
Good TV Shows?
Adder

Post by Adder »

Numbers wrote:
Adder wrote:Image

FRONTIER = CR@P

Good TV Shows?
No you are right.... Just a warning that it is not.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

In other news Rectify continues to be a massive amount better than everything else on TV at the moment. Heavy shit though.

Anyone else following? I think the final episode was last night. Can't quite bring myself to watch it.
Adder

Post by Adder »

Mikey Brown wrote:In other news Rectify continues to be a massive amount better than everything else on TV at the moment. Heavy shit though.

Anyone else following? I think the final episode was last night. Can't quite bring myself to watch it.
I just watched thee first episode: interesting topic but the pace is pretty heavy. Is that just the first episode ?
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

No, it's pretty relentlessly heavy. You really do feel the struggle from every single character. I totally get that won't be some people's thing, but I found it rewarding.

It has some of the best acting I've ever seen in any form, but if you don't particularly enjoy the slow, endless musing on how people react to all the guilt, trauma, resentment, hope, despair etc. It's definitely got its lighter moments and the themes aren't all that heavy, but its definitely not something to just have on in the background.

Saying that, the whole thing is so beautifully shot and put together, you just have to want to embrace the melancholy.
Adder

Post by Adder »

Mikey Brown wrote:No, it's pretty relentlessly heavy. You really do feel the struggle from every single character. I totally get that won't be some people's thing, but I found it rewarding.

It has some of the best acting I've ever seen in any form, but if you don't particularly enjoy the slow, endless musing on how people react to all the guilt, trauma, resentment, hope, despair etc. It's definitely got its lighter moments and the themes aren't all that heavy, but its definitely not something to just have on in the background.

Saying that, the whole thing is so beautifully shot and put together, you just have to want to embrace the melancholy.
Hooked and halfway through the second season
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Adder wrote:
Mikey Brown wrote:No, it's pretty relentlessly heavy. You really do feel the struggle from every single character. I totally get that won't be some people's thing, but I found it rewarding.

Good to hear, despite my efforts to put you off.

It really would be difficult to pick out the best actor amongst that lot.
Adder

Re: RE: Re: Good TV Shows

Post by Adder »

Mikey Brown wrote:
Adder wrote:

Good to hear, despite my efforts to put you off.

It really would be difficult to pick out the best actor amongst that lot.
Ted junior is a right c#nt but still credible.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Yeah, he's fantastic. As with most on the show he plays the shades of grey really well. Even at his most c*nty you kind of get where he's coming from.

Just looked at the dates. You're really ploughing through it. I'm keen to see what you think at the halfway point.
cashead

Post by cashead »

So, I've sort of gotten hooked on Orange is the New Black. Currently around halfway through season 2, and some episodes are a bit uneven (and I wish Larry would just fuck off, as he's outlived what little usefulness he had) but I actually quite love the structure of the episodes as they are.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Shame on you, sweet Nerevar
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Oblomov wrote:"Camping" on Sky Box Sets.
Julia Davis.
I did all six episodes in a night. Excruciatingly funny. Very dark in places.
Struggling to get into it tbh. Bit of a mismatch of characters and not quite hitting the mark in terms of comedy.

I enjoyed Nighty Night, well the first series anyway. The second descended into ridiculousness far too quickly, but it was still quite funny.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Funland.

Now there's a decent black comedy.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Got my Workaholics fix again!

It's supposedly the final season so here's hoping it's a good one.

Not long to go till the Archer fix is sorted too and that is looking like a very interesting time line for the show.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Little disappointed with how the final season of Workaholics is going. It's a bit meh.
Edinburgh in Exile

Post by Edinburgh in Exile »

Anyone watched Goliath? It's on Amazon Prime, only watched the first couple of episodes, it its pretty fucking good so far.
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

About to finish the Man in the High Castle, was disappointed with how series 1 ended but it makes sense now, though I've still no idea what's happening.

Taboo with Hardy on the Beeb is good.
Edinburgh in Exile wrote:Anyone watched Goliath? It's on Amazon Prime, only watched the first couple of episodes, it its pretty fucking good so far.
Thats on the to watch list
Adder

Post by Adder »

OptimisticJock wrote:About to finish the Man in the High Castle, was disappointed with how series 1 ended but it makes sense now, though I've still no idea what's happening.

Taboo with Hardy on the Beeb is good.
Edinburgh in Exile wrote:Anyone watched Goliath? It's on Amazon Prime, only watched the first couple of episodes, it its pretty fucking good so far.
Thats on the to watch list
Not very impressed with Hardy's acting to be fair... or maybe just his character...

Adder

Post by Adder »

Mikey Brown wrote:Yeah, he's fantastic. As with most on the show he plays the shades of grey really well. Even at his most c*nty you kind of get where he's coming from.

Just looked at the dates. You're really ploughing through it. I'm keen to see what you think at the halfway point.
Never got back to you on this. Wasn't impressed with the last season as it followed all the cliches. Some character got on ny nerves, the near perfect teen and the sister in particular.

Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Hmm. I'm sort of surprised to be honest. I thought it avoided a lot of the obvious turns, but each to their own.

I can't imagine how I'd have felt about the characters and the overall intensity of the show if I'd blasted through it all in one go rather than over 4 years. Maybe that made a difference. I thought it had a great amount of subtlety to it.
Adder

Post by Adder »

Mikey Brown wrote:Hmm. I'm sort of surprised to be honest. I thought it avoided a lot of the obvious turns, but each to their own.

I can't imagine how I'd have felt about the characters and the overall intensity of the show if I'd blasted through it all in one go rather than over 4 years. Maybe that made a difference. I thought it had a great amount of subtlety to it.
That most certainly didn't help :)
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Aye. I think binge-watching stuff is enormously overrated, but it's hard when you discover something and all of it is so readily available.

I feel weirdly sad and put out that it disappointed you. I think a lot of fantastic shows end terribly and this one felt quite cathartic without any kind of rushed, fairytale closure.
rowan

Post by rowan »

& following on from the phenomenal international success of Magnificent Century (long-running drama about the reign of Suleiman the Magnificent when the Ottoman Empire was at its height, though actually more about the harem - see page 3 of this thread for more), it seems a new series about Abdulhamid is on the way. Abdul was one of the last sultans, and the last to actually rule with authority, and is blamed for the start of atrocities against the Armenians (who he scapegoated as the empire began to crumble). So it'll be interesting to see how they handle this. :roll:

If they're good enough to play at World Cups, why not in between?