SH 6N Watch

Moderator: morepork

Lizard

SH 6N Watch

Post by Lizard »

Dumped from old site - can't be arsed formatting it all pretty like:

A thread for commenting on the exploits of Our Boys playing Over There.

First thing we need is a list of relevant players. Feel free to add/correct errors:

England (5+coach): Coach E. Jones (Aus), Captain D. Hartley (NZ), J. Clifford (Aus), B. Vunipola (Aus), M. Vunipola (NZ), Rokoduguni (Fij)

France (6): U. Atonio (NZ), V. Pelo (WF)*, B. Le Roux (SA), S. Spedding (SA), S. Vahaama (NC)*, V. Vakatawa (Fij)

Ireland (6+coach): Coach J. Schmidt (NZ), F. Bealham (Aus), R. Herring (SA), J. Payne (NZ), R. Strauss (SA), N. White (NZ), C. Stander (SA)

Italy (8): Captain S. Parisse (Arg), M. Castrogiovanni (Arg), D. Chistolini (SA),G. Garcia (Arg), K. Haimona (NZ), L. McLean (Aus), D. van Schalkwyk (SA), B. Steyn (SA)

Scotland (7+coach): Coach V. Cotter (NZ), B. Cowan (NZ), D. Denton (Zim),J. Hardie (NZ), S. Maitland (NZ), WP Nel (SA), B. Toolis (Aus), J. Strauss (SA)

Wales (3+Coach): Coach W. Gatland (NZ),G. Anscombe (NZ), T. Faletua (Ton), J. King (Aus)

You could make a pretty handy XV out of that lot

Numbers from each country:
NZ: 10 + 3 coaches
SA: 10
Aust: 6 + 1 coach
Arg: 3
Fij 2
Tonga, Zim, Wallis & Futuna, New Caledonia: 1 each

*Yes, I know that Wallis & Futuna and New Caledonia are technically parts of France but they're still in the Southern Hemisphere

Lizard
Lizard
Respected pundit
Tue, 09 Feb 2016 12:27:00, 12:27 PM
Not much to report except that French Fijian wings seem to get as fat as Fijian Fijian wings when in France. Italy butchered a good chance for an upset by working their way steadily into position for a match-winning DG and then brain farted it away when their Argentinean No. 8 bizarrely took the shot instead of their Kiwi replacement 10.

Eng v Sco was abysmal but the Aussie coach got one over the Kiwi.

Ire v Wal was by far the match of the round. Quite a good watch actually.
Quote Flag Like 0
Eugene Wrayburn
Eugene Wrayburn
Super Moderator

Tue, 09 Feb 2016 23:04:19, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Lizard View Post
A thread for commenting on the exploits of Our Boys playing Over There.

First thing we need is a list of relevant players. Feel free to add/correct errors:

England (5+coach): Coach E. Jones (Aus), Captain D. Hartley (NZ), J. Clifford (Aus), B. Vunipola (Aus), M. Vunipola (NZ), Rokoduguni (Fij)

France (6): U. Atonio (NZ), V. Pelo (WF)*, B. Le Roux (SA), S. Spedding (SA), S. Vahaama (NC)*, V. Vakatawa (Fij)

Ireland (6+coach): Coach J. Schmidt (NZ), F. Bealham (Aus), R. Herring (SA), J. Payne (NZ), R. Strauss (SA), N. White (NZ), C. Stander (SA)

Italy (8): Captain S. Parisse (Arg), M. Castrogiovanni (Arg), D. Chistolini (SA),G. Garcia (Arg), K. Haimona (NZ), L. McLean (Aus), D. van Schalkwyk (SA), B. Steyn (SA)

Scotland (7+coach): Coach V. Cotter (NZ), B. Cowan (NZ), D. Denton (Zim),J. Hardie (NZ), S. Maitland (NZ), WP Nel (SA), B. Toolis (Aus), J. Strauss (SA)

Wales (3+Coach): Coach W. Gatland (NZ),G. Anscombe (NZ), T. Faletua (Ton), J. King (Aus)

You could make a pretty handy XV out of that lot

Numbers from each country:
NZ: 10 + 3 coaches
SA: 10
Aust: 6 + 1 coach
Arg: 3
Fij 2
Tonga, Zim, Wallis & Futuna, New Caledonia: 1 each

*Yes, I know that Wallis & Futuna and New Caledonia are technically parts of France but they're still in the Southern Hemisphere
Who?
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

Support Ireland RWC 2023!

Nevin Spence gone but not forgotten.
Quote Flag Like 0
olderbackrower
olderbackrower
Close to the Edge
Wed, 10 Feb 2016 01:15:40, 01:15 AM
Its slightly different I know, but wonder if other countries fans do a similar thing (like Samoa, Fiji, Tonga and Aus) for their guys playing for NZ?
Quote Flag Like 0
bruce
bruce
Rugby Rebeller
Wed, 10 Feb 2016 01:23:23, 01:23 AM
Not much to report except that French Fijian wings seem to get as fat as Fijian Fijian wings when in France. Italy butchered a good chance for an upset by working their way steadily into position for a match-winning DG and then brain farted it away when their Argentinean No. 8 bizarrely took the shot instead of their Kiwi replacement 10.

Eng v Sco was abysmal but the Aussie coach got one over the Kiwi.

Ire v Wal was by far the match of the round. Quite a good watch actually.
If I were Italian, out of the two I know who I would have rather taken the DG attempt, and he has probably got a better success rate than the Kiwi replacement 10.
Quote Flag Like 0
John Dory
John Dory
Rugby Rebeller
Wed, 10 Feb 2016 02:39:42, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by olderbackrower View Post
Its slightly different I know, but wonder if other countries fans do a similar thing (like Samoa, Fiji, Tonga and Aus) for their guys playing for NZ?
I know it's confusing with all the NZ's playing and coaching, but NZ aren't officially represented in the six nations. The six teams are Italy, France, England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland. Hard to believe when you look at the team sheets, but it's true.
Quote Flag Like 0
olderbackrower
olderbackrower
Close to the Edge
Wed, 10 Feb 2016 03:41:59, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by John Dory View Post

I know it's confusing with all the NZ's playing and coaching, but NZ aren't officially represented in the six nations. The six teams are Italy, France, England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland. Hard to believe when you look at the team sheets, but it's true.
Agreed but Samoa, Fiji and Tonga don't play in the Rugby Championship either! It wasn't having a go, as I don't hold with all the "poaching" nonsense it was a genuine thought given Lizards "Our Boys".
Quote Flag Like 0
Lizard
Lizard
Respected pundit
Wed, 10 Feb 2016 07:16:59, 07:16 AM
Nice bait. I'll take it.
This year it will probably be Franks (Aus), Fekitoa (Ton) and Naholo (Fij) in the RC squad. Interestingly, NZ's population is about 25% foreign born so immigrants are actually under-represented in the All Blacks. I believe that the two highest contributions of immigrants come from Britain and China although oddly no current All Blacks have arisen from that stock.
Quote Flag Like 0
olderbackrower
olderbackrower
Close to the Edge
Wed, 10 Feb 2016 07:35:24, 07:35 AM
Nice bait. I'll take it.
This year it will probably be Franks (Aus), Fekitoa (Ton) and Naholo (Fij) in the RC squad. Interestingly, NZ's population is about 25% foreign born so immigrants are actually under-represented in the All Blacks. I believe that the two highest contributions of immigrants come from Britain and China although oddly no current All Blacks have arisen from that stock.
Not skillful enough (although may be some British even English in the ancestry!)

I say again, a 'serious' question not a WUM. Britain similarly has a large 'immigrant' population as well as a considerable number who have lived/ worked/ married in another country, had children and returned home.

My cousin was born in Birmingham to an Irish mother and English father. Moved to Ireland then at 23 moved to Perth, Australia. He's 65 this year but considers himself Irish and searches for Seapoint Rugby club results as soon as he gets up and is no doubt on the phone to Ireland regarding Paul O'Connells retirement!
Quote Flag Like 0
Lizard
Lizard
Respected pundit
Wed, 10 Feb 2016 07:40:03, 07:40 AM
Actually, what would be interesting would be an NH RC Watch thread, covering the exploits of all northern hemisphere-born players in the Rugby Championship.

Although this would probably have to be entirely devoted to Stephen Moore of Saudi Arabia.
Quote Flag Like 0
Lizard
Lizard
Respected pundit
Wed, 10 Feb 2016 07:46:11, 07:46 AM
Not skillful enough (although may be some British even English in the ancestry!)

I say again, a 'serious' question not a WUM. Britain similarly has a large 'immigrant' population as well as a considerable number who have lived/ worked/ married in another country, had children and returned home.

My cousin was born in Birmingham to an Irish mother and English father. Moved to Ireland then at 23 moved to Perth, Australia. He's 65 this year but considers himself Irish and searches for Seapoint Rugby club results as soon as he gets up and is no doubt on the phone to Ireland regarding Paul O'Connells retirement!
Yes, it's all a bit of fun. Between them, the Vunipola bros were qualified for Tonga, NZ, Aust, Wales and England I think. (I also believe they are the fourth generation of test capped Vunipolas).

What I would love to see is the NZ cricket team facing accusations of poaching as a battery of enormous, rapid Fijians and Samoans suddenly discover the delights of flinging 163g of red leather at some other bloke's head.
Quote Flag Like 0
Eugene Wrayburn
Eugene Wrayburn
Super Moderator

Wed, 10 Feb 2016 07:57:52, 07:57 AM
The Scots have a "Scots abroad" thread for club rugby and there used to be something similar on the IMB. Of course it's not our fault that our people have too much national pride to represent the likes of NZ and that so ashamed are many kiwis of their country that they literally beg to represent Ireland. Would you have us turn such refugees away, would you?!!

Support Ireland RWC 2023!

Nevin Spence gone but not forgotten.
Quote Flag Like 1
Lizard
Lizard
Respected pundit
Wed, 10 Feb 2016 13:19:10, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Eugene Wrayburn View Post
Who?
Finlay Bealham, replacement for Marty Moore. Aussie born but his Nan's from Enniskillen.

http://www.skysports.com/rugby-union...op-marty-moore
Edit Quote Flag Like 1
Lizard
Lizard
Respected pundit
Wed, 10 Feb 2016 13:20:16, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Eugene Wrayburn View Post
The Scots have a "Scots abroad" thread for club rugby and there used to be something similar on the IMB. Of course it's not our fault that our people have too much national pride to represent the likes of NZ and that so ashamed are many kiwis of their country that they literally beg to represent Ireland. Would you have us turn such refugees away, would you?!!
Well someone had to take Isaac Boss in. Thanks for that.
Edit Quote Flag Like 0
tigran
tigran

Today, 11:26 AM
Wallis et Futuna, Nouvelle Calédonie are french, sorry...

Sergio Parisse is born in Argentina from Italian parents and italian was is mother tongue..
Lizard

Re: SH 6N Watch

Post by Lizard »

Page 2 dump:

Lizard
Lizard
Respected pundit
Today, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by tigran View Post
Wallis et Futuna, Nouvelle Calédonie are french, sorry...

Sergio Parisse is born in Argentina from Italian parents and italian was is mother tongue..
As I noted in the OP, French but still in the Southern Hemisphere (I'm not saying they are poached, just Southern Hemisphereans).

France is just lucky that some of its overseas territories are Polynesian islands. England must be kicking itself that its stuck with such rugby hot beds as the Falklands, South Georgia and Diego Garcia. The only Pacific territory it has retained is Pitcairn, which has quite a different national sport.

Post by OptimisticJock »

Bit harsh on Denton, he's always considered himself Scottish.
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

OptimisticJock wrote:Bit harsh on Denton, he's always considered himself Scottish.
It's all strictly on birthplace. Same treatment for all (including Stephen "of Arabia" Moore).

Post by OptimisticJock »

Lizard wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:Bit harsh on Denton, he's always considered himself Scottish.
It's all strictly on birthplace. Same treatment for all (including Stephen "of Arabia" Moore).
Fair enough then. I'll shut my puss.
Eugene Wrayburn

Post by Eugene Wrayburn »

Lizard wrote:
In which case you;ve missed our Israeli.

NS. Gone but not forgotten.
cashead

Post by cashead »

Eugene Wrayburn wrote:
Lizard wrote:
And you probably missed some geography lessons. Israel is north of the Tropic of Cancer, which places it above the Equator.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Shame on you, sweet Nerevar
Eugene Wrayburn

Post by Eugene Wrayburn »

cashead wrote:
Eugene Wrayburn wrote:
Lizard wrote:
And you probably missed some geography lessons. Israel is north of the Tropic of Cancer, which places it above the Equator.
Good point well made. My geography lessons ended almost 30 years ago. Until now.

NS. Gone but not forgotten.
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

France has had an attempted poach foiled by the integrity, honesty and love for New Zealand of the targetted player.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/ar ... d=11593725
cashead

Post by cashead »

Technically, he can. I think he would have to play an X number of 7s tournaments (consecutively, I think?) for his adopted country to qualify, though. The timeframe makes it impossible but theoretically, he can appear for France later down the track.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Shame on you, sweet Nerevar