Quins V Bath Fri 7.45

Moderator: Puja

Spiffy

Re: Quins V Bath Fri 7.45

Post by Spiffy »

Which Tyler wrote:
16th man wrote:Got to wonder what the ultimate outcome would have been had the ref shown Quins a yellow card in that earlier spell of consistent penalties.
The biggest toss of a coin was Easter in the first 5 minutes. Had he not regathered that would have been a yellow all day long; with Bath on the front foot early (and what a match by FEaster today; getting him off the pitch for 10 minutes would have made a massive difference).
Take that out, and it looked like Bath could have been cutting loose, no-one would be talking about the Mafi near-try (I think short anyway, ref was right).
Chances are Cook wouldn't have gone for that tap-down were we ahead on the board; and that "10 minutes of madness" would never have happened.

However, it did happen, and in 10 minutes of rugby, Quins played properly well, everything they touched turned to gold; and won the match there and then.

Quite honestly; Bath could have had about 3 yellows; Quins could have had 4-5; and both coaches should stop bitching.
Full marks to Nick. He is a crafty old sod with plenty of rugby smarts and still seems pretty fit too. He's playing good stuff.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Ollie Devoto needs sorting out. I counted three occasiona where a front row forward ran at him and he didn't even attempt to tackle - just stood upright and made "Get away" motions with his hands as he backpedalled. Thankfully, all three had a Bath player taking the big man's ankles, so nothing major came of it, but it was embarrassing to watch. You can't be a non-contact fly-half nowadays - I've got no problem if you get bumped by a big lad running at you, but to actively back off to avoid tackling was just shocking.

Apart from that, great game for the neutral. Ref was a bit average though.

Puja
Backist Monk
Spiffy

Post by Spiffy »

Puja wrote:Ollie Devoto needs sorting out. I counted three occasiona where a front row forward ran at him and he didn't even attempt to tackle - just stood upright and made "Get away" motions with his hands as he backpedalled. Thankfully, all three had a Bath player taking the big man's ankles, so nothing major came of it, but it was embarrassing to watch. You can't be a non-contact fly-half nowadays - I've got no problem if you get bumped by a big lad running at you, but to actively back off to avoid tackling was just shocking.

Apart from that, great game for the neutral. Ref was a bit average though.

Puja
Noticed the same. Devoto is a big bloke and should be well up to the physicality of the game. Little Ford would have at least made the effort. He will have done himself no favours today with Eddie Jones. Did not offer much in attack either, mostly just shipping the ball on. Doesn't really look like a 10, and England have a few good options at 12. I did think previously that he may have leapfroged others on to the England squad, and will be pushed to hold his place.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Good fun that. Plenty of enterprise and ambition, some fine tries and several very good individual performances.

Bath did well to get a BP in the end.
PPJ

Post by PPJ »

To mystified why we left Leroy on the bench but good to see our best loose head back Nathan Catt,just hope he stays injury free.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

A fit Catt would be like a new signing; he'd played his way ahead of Pual James, and into the England reckoning before his injuries; if he can get back to that then we can rotate properly with both props (if we can fix Davey's confidence). Still need a new 1st choice hooker though - Batty's fine as a 2nd choice keeping the starter honest; nad Dunn will either fall behind Walker over the course of next season or step up and become well worth a place.
We should be fine in the backrow; and I'd far rather keep Mafi and send Denton to Scotland/France/Japan. Work on Underwood over the summer to come next year.

Scrum half is interesting for next year - Mata is a great bench option, and could have been a step up from last year if the rest of the team had been playing the same way; but he just isn't what we've needed to pull us out of the mire; Cook has really stepped up in the last 2 years and actually looks like a Prem starter, I'm not too worried about those 2 TBH; but we do need a 3rd option; and hopefully Ford can start selecting on what's best rather than what's cost more. Need a nice steady 2nd choice FH though, ideally one who can step into the same game-plan as Ford, but not be a confidence player - which is going to be too much to ask; so a steady-eddie old head; a Gopperth. Bowden is a step-down replacement for Devoto, but Clark is ready to step up to 2nd choice OC, and a decent option for the 23 shirt. Back 3 is fine as is... unless Agulla has actually lost his pace/mojo, rather than just playing hurt last week.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Any inkling as to if Garvey is happy at Bath just hopping between bench, blindside and lock?
PPJ

Post by PPJ »

Garvey is very happy in the West Country,Mafi is only here between contracts and is signed up in Japan for next two years I heard.We've signed two hookers for next season one being the kid ,(that should upset Dunn).
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Good to here about Garvey; and let's hope that's enough to keep him at the club despite being messed about a bit with first Redacted, and now Denton.

It was always thought that Mafi was just here to fill time before a Super contract; but I didn't know he'd already signed one; I was under the impression that that was just his expectations about life and willing to change if the right offer came along.

As for Dunn - he's a OK 3rd choice hooker, but Walker is a step up in potential, and arguably a step up in current quality despite being 3.5 years younger (and untested at Prem level). I've not heard any rumours on who the older head is, TBH I've not heard much more than speculation that we're looking for an older hooker too. If he's a 32+ year old international retiree coming to top up his pension for a couple of years, then it should be perfectly possible to keep both Dunn and Walker happy, if it's a big-name star; then Dunn may well head off - though hooker is one of those positions where I really don't mind having 4 options ready to play.
PPJ

Post by PPJ »

I heard we've signed a older hooker wouldn't be surprised if it's the hooker we had for a few months before a couple of seasons ago,his name I can't remember.
Puja

Post by Puja »

PPJ wrote:I heard we've signed a older hooker wouldn't be surprised if it's the hooker we had for a few months before a couple of seasons ago,his name I can't remember.
You're not talking about Brett Sharman, are you?!

Puja
Backist Monk
PPJ

Post by PPJ »

Yes that's who I was thinking about.
Puja

Post by Puja »

PPJ wrote:Yes that's who I was thinking about.
For your sake, I hope not. He's not very good as well as being a bit of a racist pr*ck. You can do better.

Puja
Backist Monk
PPJ

Post by PPJ »

He only had a bit of banter a bit like Marler,It was years ago surely time to give the guy a break.
Puja

Post by Puja »

PPJ wrote:He only had a bit of banter a bit like Marler,It was years ago surely time to give the guy a break.
He did publically imply that no-one named Muhammad could possibly be British, which seems a bit worse than Marler. But you are right and it was one incident a few years back, so probably past the statute of limitations.

He's still rubbish though.

Puja
Backist Monk
padprop

Post by padprop »

Puja wrote:
PPJ wrote:He only had a bit of banter a bit like Marler,It was years ago surely time to give the guy a break.
He did publically imply that no-one named Muhammad could possibly be British, which seems a bit worse than Marler. But you are right and it was one incident a few years back, so probably past the statute of limitations.

He's still rubbish though.

Puja
Much is the same way a man called Sharman could not possibly be African. People sure do have double standards sometimes.